Outdoors
Sponsored by

Colorado moose

9,409 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SteveBott
Gus Fring
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BradMtn346
So we had to come out of the woods for a few days for work. School for my son and guiding for me. Client was a great guy. Helped me get my sled running. He was very anxious. Pretty much had to sit on his rifle the first night.

He ended up killing a decent buck. The area produces better, but he liked the buck he killed.

He headed home this morning. Wife has a tag. Found her the Beto buck that has been hanging around. Had to chase him a bit. It was fun.

I'll kill something tomorrow, ship calves Sunday, then head back to the moose brush.
AgEng06
AG
Ahem...
BradMtn346
So I killed a cull buck on Saturday, shipped calves Sunday, then packed up and headed back to moose camp.

We hunted hard from Monday to Thursday, without a lot of sign. We learned 2 moose were killed in the area I had scouted. That might've been all of them.

We got a tip about moose up high. We checked it out and saw maybe 1 set of tracks. Found a bunch of elk.
Ended up looking closer after ruling out the other places we saw sign. There were moose there, they just were not moving. We had walked all the way around a couple of moose on our first trip.

Friday after narrowing down where we thought they were, we were on the road BS'n with some elk hunters when this guy hustles out of the woods saying he just bumped some moose. We check it out. Find a ton of sign in a very small area.

Looked but didn't find them, decided to let them be and come back in the morning.

The next morning we went in and zig zagged through the whole area. Found where they had bedded Friday. (50 yards from our tracks). We were getting tired, so we got to a higher point an a bit of a clearing (the only clearings were because of a blow down. Deadfall. Lots of deadfall.). We had been there eating our snacks for probably 20 minutes when we see another hunter in the woods below us. That hunter caused the moose to stand up, and my son saw it!

It had been 80 yards from us the whole time!

We were both running out of steam as we worked on her. Had her quartered and skinned. One shoulder boned our when I started shaking in a low blood sugar way. Very dangerous with the knives I use, so we packed the loin and tenderloins in my day pack and headed out for lunch.

Didn't have enough gas, so ran to town and sent a few pictures. My buddy Jerad hit me back asking if we needed help. We could do it, but if you are bored, sure. Jerad is an outfitter. He packs stuff.

Huge shout out to these guys at West Elk Outfitters for taking time to help my kid.

The wood stove in the tent was welcome every night.

Hunter has a bonfire to celebrate his success.

It didn't last long. We were tired.

But he got up and made me breakfast. That was pretty awesome.

Being a goof while packing up.
AgEng06
AG
That's the stuff we're here for. Great hunt and great report.

And you're definitely raising that kid right.
Layne Staley
AG
Catamount Golf Club in Steamboat springs is a good spot to moose hunt. I see one every time I've played there and no golfers this time of year!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Congrats to your son on the moose.

Oh and that muley buck. Glad it's a "decent" one.
Gig 'em! '90
agenjake
Good work, Pop.

That sleeping bag picture is great. Exhausted sleep without real-world responsibilities to worry about the next morning. I'm sure he'll take it for granted like the rest of us did.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Great read, thanks for sharing.
BradMtn346
I took them for granted this morning.
SteveBott
AG
Looks like a full meat review Is in our future.

So Elk Vs Moose, Brad?
BradMtn346
SteveBott said:

Looks like a full meat review Is in our future.

So Elk Vs Moose, Brad?

To be fair, need to let the moose age about a week. Update to come.
stdeb11
AG
Awesome! Looks like a great family time and congrats on the moose.
SteveBott
AG
We got the time.
ursusguy
AG
That is freaking awesome.
OhAggie98
AG
Congrats on a well earned moose with the son.
wreckt01
Amazing!
BradMtn346
I started cutting up the meat today. I had a couple of deer to do first. The meat seems courser than any I have worked with before.

Taste test in a couple of days.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Congrats!!!! Nice job!!
DVM97
AG
Awesome report!! Thanks for sharing!
mpl35
AG
Nice. I want to come hunt with you! The front range isn't as much fun as your trip reports!
BradMtn346
I had a moose burger for dinner tonight. Very rich flavor. I'll have to try a streak before I can say elk vs moose. Moose kind of makes me think of bear, but very lean.

The main thing that struck me as I was cutting meat, the loins are not very big. The added meat comes all in the legs. I get 3 meals out of a mule deer loin, 4-5 out of an elk. I only got 4 short meals out of the moose loin.
BradMtn346
So I promised an elk vs moose opinion.

Moose is good. More, richer flavor than elk. Maybe a little tougher. Little denser meat.

Which I prefer, toss up. Loins on the moose were smaller, than an elk of the same size. Legs are much bigger.

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to hunt or eat either.
BradMtn346
Another way to put it, elk is to moose as whitetail is to mule deer.
SteveBott
AG
Hmmm

I was not impressed with mule vs WT I have had. Elk was good meat. Shot all three at 7500 elevation. SW CO.

BradMtn346
Mule deer kind of depends on where you shoot them and what they have been eating. I really like corn fed whitetail, but it doesn't have as much flavor as my alfalfa fed mule deer. A buddy from NW Colorado won't shoot deer up there, but loves ours.
SteveBott
AG
Yep. What they eat is what we eat.

Keep us posted on the moose. Great hunt btw.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.