Outdoors
Sponsored by

Neighbor will not cut down dead tree

17,102 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by C@LAg
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
East Texas, ya say? Why not just move your trailer further from the tree?

(I kid, I kid. I have a bunch of east Texas redneck relatives.)
rootube
AG
I am absolutely not saying you don't need a lawyer. I'm just saying that if your neighbor is still willing to discuss the matter it's too early to run talk to a lawyer.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

It's a known nuisance and danger, and if you know it is a nuisance and danger you can't use the "well, I had no clue" defense.

That's the thing: it isn't necessarily a KNOWN nuisance and/or danger. A pool with open access IS. Different situations entirely.

I'm not saying there isn't an argument here. I'm simply saying that, based on the information presented, I don't see an affirmative duty on the part of the tree owner to cut it down. Absent that, it will be very difficult to get him to do it if he doesn't want to.
Cassius
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

It's a known nuisance and danger, and if you know it is a nuisance and danger you can't use the "well, I had no clue" defense.

That's the thing: it isn't necessarily a KNOWN nuisance and/or danger. A pool with open access IS. Different situations entirely.

I'm not saying there isn't an argument here. I'm simply saying that, based on the information presented, I don't see an affirmative duty on the part of the tree owner to cut it down. Absent that, it will be very difficult to get him to do it if he doesn't want to.

If that is the case, how can insurance companies declare it to be and refuse coverage if a dead tree on your property falls on your house.

Unless there is some civil case law to back up your claim, I have doubts. If I'm on a jury, he's getting paid.
BrazosDog02
AG
Based on the epic ******* nature of the neighbor and legal advice from the thread that I'm pretty sure has no actual attorneys, I'm going to change my advice for course of action. To hell with paying to have it cut down on his behalf.

Watch the weather, wait until he leaves, and stick your Stihl through the fence picket and cut a Kerf on the north side of the tree. Wait for the next norther...problem solved.

Oh...make sure you're solid on cardinal directions, physics, error probabilities, and of course where you home lies in relation to the above.

On a serious note, as a person that cuts tens of trees down and up on my property annually, I can say you don't need a ****ing forestry degree to figure out that PINE is a danger when dead. That tree is a danger and I'd try again for a certified letter so that I could promptly get paid when it falls on my **** or kills someone. Pine is a trash tree. It's weak and brittle when alive and it rots fast. Tell your dip**** neighbor that pressure treated pine doesn't grow naturally. He's a deadbeat bum and If I'm on a jury, the op is getting paid to whatever extent I can squeeze from cousin eddy over there.

It's worse than a pool. It's more like a time bomb with an iffy fuse. But, Like a pool that has fences and locks to mitigate risk, that tree needs to go.
schmellba99
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Sorry man, a dead tree is a known nuisance and danger. Why? Because we literally have all of history as an example of dead trees falling over and basic common sense that something weighing thousands of pounds falling is going to cause damage. I'm betting you can get somebody well versed in physics to calculate the potential energy stored in that tree and what it will do upon impact. Especially after you have been notified of it. I can understand if you as the homeowner may not know initially, but if you have been notified of it - you lose the "play stupid" defense IMO.

Like others have said - if I'm on a jury, the OP is getting paid as a result of what I'm going to view a willful negligence of the property owner for failing to address a very obvious and glaring issue.
rootube
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Based on the epic ******* nature of the neighbor and legal advice from the thread that I'm pretty sure has no actual attorneys, I'm going to change my advice for course of action. To hell with paying to have it cut down on his behalf.

Watch the weather, wait until he leaves, and stick your Stihl through the fence picket and cut a Kerf on the north side of the tree. Wait for the next norther...problem solved.

Oh...make sure you're solid on cardinal directions, physics, error probabilities, and of course where you home lies in relation to the above.

On a serious note, as a person that cuts tens of trees down and up on my property annually, I can say you don't need a ****ing forestry degree to figure out that PINE is a danger when dead. That tree is a danger and I'd try again for a certified letter so that I could promptly get paid when it falls on my **** or kills someone. Pine is a trash tree. It's weak and brittle when alive and it rots fast. Tell your dip**** neighbor that pressure treated pine doesn't grow naturally. He's a deadbeat bum and If I'm on a jury, the op is getting paid to whatever extent I can squeeze from cousin eddy over there.

It's worse than a pool. It's more like a time bomb with an iffy fuse. But, Like a pool that has fences and locks to mitigate risk, that tree needs to go.
I'm going to go out on a limb here (See what I did there) and suggest that the guy posting as Aggielawyer91 is an attorney, but nobody want's to listen to his advice if it doesn't involve Dynomite and sweet revenge.
cledus6150
AG
Actually if the tree is assessed as hazardous by a trained professional (certified Arborist or Master Arborist) it becomes a known issue then and should the tree cause damage after the owner is made aware they can and are held liable. Why do you think Arborists and master Arborists are called into court to testify on a regular basis.
AnScAggie
AG
Burn down your fence!!!!!
GE
AG
If it fell would it definitely be tall enough to fall on your house?
CrottyKid
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Why don't you just cut it down (with their permission of course) and then walk away. Make them deal with actually getting rid of the tree.
This is the best option. There is no way in hell it should cost $2000 to cut down a dead pine tree, leave the stump, and cut the downed tree into manageable pieces without stacking it or hauling it off. That's about a $700 job at most. I live in a city with a high cost of living, and it would cost less than $2000 for a 30ft tall living oak tree including stump grinding.
Aggieangler93
AG
schmellba99 said:

SweaterVest said:

trouble said:

You really have to try to look like more of an ass than schmellba but by God, you nailed it.
Hahaha. Agreed Schmellba may be an *******, but he at least delivers (sometimes) valuable information while being an *******.
I am an *******, make no bones about it. Don't have time for beating around the bush and given who I deal with on a daily basis - it's required.

More people should be *******s and more direct without regard to hurting feelings, it would do us all good. More people should learn how to read too, but that may be asking far too much.
Can we get you added to the ballot? I am all about no bull**** myself!!!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
FrontPorchAg
Nothing to add here but:

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
TAMUallen
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

Nothing to add here but:

Definitely not the worst outcome... dumb dumbs though
DE4D
AG
Nah, we are the aggies, the aggies are we.... get me a tree lean indicator and a squirrel.

“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”
OnlyForNow
AG
He has done that a few times.
Salt of the water
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

Nothing to add here but:

Sheryl is definitely getting a new she shed.
Post removed:
by user
rootube
AG
Belton Ag
AG
Sasappis said:

Mtn_Guide said:

Nothing to add here but:

I have to ask what he thought was going to happen other than that ? Where did he want it to land with that big limb sticking out?
Maybe there's some room between the shed and the house that we don't see from our angle he thought he could land it.
OnlyForNow
AG
It did twist, and judging by the rot in the middle it might have surprised them, but they still shoulda gotten rid of most of that big limb.
Belton Ag
AG
OnlyForNow said:

It did twist, and judging by the rot in the middle it might have surprised them, but they still shoulda gotten rid of most of that big limb.
Oh, I definitely agree. They were certainly ate up with the dumbz. There's no excuse for them there.
Post removed:
by user
DE4D
AG
That is actually the video i was thinking of but had to settle for the otherGIF. That was a choice fell.
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”
Oogway
Dear OP,
Lots of amazing advice on this thread regarding your stubborn neighbor and his dead tree: lawyers, dynamite, helicopters, chainsaws, fire, sternly worded certified letters, and since I was skimming fast and this is East Texas we're talking about: probably Sasquatch.

Didn't you mention you are in Longview? Seems to me the fastest way to have that tree cut down is to write or call Governor Abbott and let him know there is a tree you need cut down and the City won't let you do it.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.