Outdoors
Sponsored by

Chili Recipes of Texags

11,980 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by lazuras_dc
Sumlins Pool Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whats your go to Chili Recipe OB?

I generally use Tom Perini's:

Perini Ranch Chili

Only I use Julios Hot Salsa instead of picante & i add a shiner bock instead of the second cup of water.
Max06
AG
See "Official Outdoor Board FAQ thread" which includes a multitude of the threads.
A.G.S.
AG
Tomato paste, Rotel, beans, and ground beef with a pack of chili seasoning................................

*ducks*
zooguy96
AG
Obligatory "any chili recipe with beans is soup" post.

Of course, here in TN, they don't know what chili is cause it all has beans.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
schmellba99
AG
No way in hell would I post a recipe for chili on this board.
rather be fishing
AG
[url=https://ibb.co/P5Mr6Gd][/url]
upload free images

I haven't ever written anything down and just kind of go with what spices I have on hand, but someone asked me for my recipe so this is from my last batch. This is pretty typical.

I start out with 2 tbsp butter, 2lbs ground venison, 1 large white onion, and 1/2lb of bacon. Cook that until it's all done. Then add all your peppers and tomatoes. I typical buy some of every variety at the Mexican grocery store near the house. The longer you cook the peppers, the more heat you lose, so cook however long you desire.

Add liquid, typically water, have used beer before, doesn't really do much IMO. Roughly 4 cups, but it's all about the texture, so whatever you want. Let it simmer for 2-3 hours.

Add 1 can of tomato paste, then add all your spices.

Key is to add spice at the end so you don't cook all the flavor out.

ETA - don't balk at the brown sugar. It helps cut the heat some, and really enhances the flavor. It's the last thing I add as an adjuster.
ironmanag
AG
zooguy96 said:

Obligatory "any chili recipe with beans is soup" post.

Of course, here in TN, they don't know what chili is cause it all is beans.
Obligatory "any chili without beans is meatsauce" post.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
FIDO*98*
AG
CASI Winning Recipes

You'll find some good ones on here
Cassius
I use one that Ducks for Breakfast posted up. It's very good, but....

I'm sure many would criticize it, because that's how the OB rolls!

So I wont share it.
Rexter
AggieChemist
AG
I start with a mix of ancho, guijillo and pasilla peppers, blistered tomatillos and arrow-killed deer. A lot of garlic and cumin and then **** starts to get squirrely.
BurrOak
AG
AggieChemist said:

I start with a mix of ancho, guijillo and pasilla peppers, blistered tomatillos and arrow-killed deer. A lot of garlic and cumin and then **** starts to get squirrely.
I do the same, and also add in some dried chipotles for some kick.
BurnetAggie99
2 Time World Championship Recipe

Champion Margaret Nadeau's Red Chili Recipe
Was created by Margaret Nadeau and won the CASI Terilingua International Chili championship in 2005 & 2009.

She calls it Sahara Chili

To make:

STEP 1:
2 lbs. Course ground beef (chili grand)
1 TBS Cooking oil
1 TBS Granulated onion

Add ingredients together and lightly brown meat

STEP 2:
Add:
1 can (8oz) Tomato Sauce
1can Beef Broth I used 15oz
Cook for 30 minutes

STEP 3:
Add:
1 TBS Light Chili Powder
2 TBS Dark Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 TBS Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Chicken Granules or 1 cube

Cook for 1 hour

Step 4:
Add:
1 TBS Light Chili Powder
1 TBS Dark Chili Powder
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 TBS Cumin

Add water if needed I didn't Perhaps using 8 oz of beef instead and using water at the end here will cut not on the saltiness.

Leave covered and simmer for 30 minutes.
Racer X
AG
1 lb- 80/20 ground beef
1 lb- sirlion tip
3/4 lb- applewood smoked bacon
2 sweet onions (chopped)
7 cloves garlic
1 lb- vine ripe tomatoes (peeled & diced biggish)
7-jalapenos (chopped)
3/4 can Shiner Bock
3/4 cup strong coffee
12oz- tomato paste
1-can beef broth
1/4 cup- brown sugar
1 tbsp- worchestershire sauce
3 tbsp- Sriracha
1 small handful sun-dried tomatoes (finely chopped)
2 tsp- paprika
1 tsp- turkish cumin
1 tsp- oregano
1 tsp- cayenne
1 tsp- sea salt
1 tsp- chipotle
(*optional* Smoked ground chili pequin to really bring the heat)

1. Cut steak in 1" cubes.(optional: put in Allegro Original
marinade for 4 hours)
2. Fry bacon in cast iron skillet until fat is rendered.
3. Brown meat & garlic in skillet w/ bacon grease.
(steak seperately on high for best results)
4. Saute onions in the remaining grease in the pot.
5. Put it all in the pot(drain most grease first if excessive amount remains). Stir.
6. Bring to simmer. Simmer 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally..
7. Refrigerate 24 hrs. 48 is ideal.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Wick Fowler kit. Ground Turkey for meat. Throw in a can of rotel and a can of beans. Watch the board burn.
TxSquarebody
In
Burnsey
AG
I open four cans of beans and I mix in a quarter pound of beef. A half pound if it's date night.?
aggiefan09
AG
I just had some "Over the top Chili" where the meat was smoked over the top of the liquid ingredients. Then mixed in after a few hours on the smoker. The receive my brother in law said to use was make the chili however you normally would but smoke the meat over the top instead of cooking it first.
mAgnoliAg
AgsMnn
AG
Doesn't Fido have one?
Old RV Ag
AG
AgsMnn said:

Doesn't Fido have one?
The self proclaimed Gordon Ramsey of Texags surely does.
mAgnoliAg
AG
I'm making some sort of concoction chili right now
FIDO*98*
AG
AgsMnn said:

Doesn't Fido have one?

You can probably search for it on the Food Board. Honestly, Chili is just one of those things you have to figure out what you like for yourself. Too many types, variables in taste, etc.

I did some Chili judging this past weekend at Czilispiel in Flatonia. Looking at other people's scorecards compared to mine, I'd say the most consistently high scores came in the competition style chili's. In the local category, scores were all over the map except for 2. One of those was very competition like and one defied all logic. It didn't look very good, but, tasted awesome.

I make mine pretty close to competition style except I use finely diced onion and garlic rather than rely on powders. Fresh ground chile powder can make a big difference.
AnScAggie
AG
Carroll Shelby's is hard to beat for a box chili mix. Just cook it a lot longer than the directions.
Sodadude
AG
Lots of ways to make it, but if you are making chili with chili powder (instead of using peppers), the rule of thumb for making legit chili is to use at least 1oz (~3.5 tablespoons) per pound of beef. Less is just Yankee soup.
bam02
AG
rather be fishing said:

upload free images

I haven't ever written anything down and just kind of go with what spices I have on hand, but someone asked me for my recipe so this is from my last batch. This is pretty typical.

I start out with 2 tbsp butter, 2lbs ground venison, 1 large white onion, and 1/2lb of bacon. Cook that until it's all done. Then add all your peppers and tomatoes. I typical buy some of every variety at the Mexican grocery store near the house. The longer you cook the peppers, the more heat you lose, so cook however long you desire.

Add liquid, typically water, have used beer before, doesn't really do much IMO. Roughly 4 cups, but it's all about the texture, so whatever you want. Let it simmer for 2-3 hours.

ETA - don't balk at the brown sugar. It helps cut the heat some, and really enhances the flavor. It's the last thing I add as an adjuster.

Where's the beef!?!?!?
mts6175
AG
This is the one that won CASI in 2018.

https://www.casichili.net/2018-tom-dozier.html

PFG
AG
Fiesta Brand spices and Bolner family has some good recipes on line if anyone wants to experiment with building a pot of red meat from dried chili's.

Unless I'm in a time crunch, my preference now is to use real chili's. Ancho, New Mexico, etc
ironmanag
AG
Ground venison is so much better than beef for chili.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
BurrOak
AG
Well I gotta admit that I've always just put everything together and let it simmer for a couple hours until its ready. Reading through all the the CASI recipes, they do 2 dumps of spices with 1 being closer to serving time. I'm definitely going to experiment with that.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
BurrOak said:

Well I gotta admit that I've always just put everything together and let it simmer for a couple hours until its ready. Reading through all the the CASI recipes, they do 2 dumps of spices with 1 being closer to serving time. I'm definitely going to experiment with that.
I learned this last year. Use about half the spices and simmer for 2-3 hours and add the other half last 30 mins. I have just been dumping everything in at once for years.
rather be fishing
AG
bam02 said:

rather be fishing said:

upload free images

Where's the beef!?!?!?
Venison. I don't buy ground beef.
76Ag
AG
Chili should not be made from ground meat. I cube chuck roast. Make my own chili powder. No beans!
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I have some left over venison steaks from last year. I'm thinking about chopping it up and making chili. Any thoughts?
schmellba99
AG
ironmanag said:

Ground venison is so much better than beef for chili.
Half and half is where it's at for me.

With my venison, coarse grind in a 3/8" plate. The beef is either brisket or tri-tip or a fatty chuck roast that I cube into about 1/4" to 1/2" cubes to provide a different and more solid texture to offset the ground texture. Works for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.