Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Meat Pole

33,785 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Badace52
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see this year's meat pole. So I guess I'll get it kicked off. We need a spot to hang our meat!

Will post the full story in a separate thread later. But for now, here are the pics of our Speed Goat hunt 8/27-8/28

Got my brother-in-law his first goat on Tuesday. Measured at 79 and change- 76 after deductions. Fantastic goat

I shot this nice one on Wed am. High 60's, maybe pushing 70- didn't put a tape on him

About an hour and a half later put my old man on this freaking TOAD. Gross 83, Net 82. Will be submitting him for Boone & Crocket measurement after drying period

As always, my favorite pic of the trip
stdeb11
AG
Heck yeah! Awesome start to the thread this year. Congrats man!
cc_ag92
AG
Way to start it off !!
matthewj042
FSGuide
Very nice speedgoats!

Thanks for starting this. I hope to have pics of my son's first kills on here soon. He is overdue.

I love the "Eifel Tower" pic
dr_boogs
AG
Nice! What range were you able to close to before taking those shots? And what cartridges?
RCR06
AG
Nice looking antelope!

When I saw this thread I thought what's the point of starting this if you don't have anything to post yet. Once again, I was wrong. I always forget hunting seasons opens sooner in some areas.
FirefightAg
AG
I'm sure you've posted but I don't get to keep up much around here anymore. What state?
AgEng06
AG
These are from NM. Here's his hunt recap... https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3054950
cupofjoe04
AG
dr_boogs said:

Nice! What range were you able to close to before taking those shots? And what cartridges?

All of our shots were 250-350, and that's fairly typical for out there. Hard to shoot much beyond 450 for much of the day, with the heat waves.

Dad and I were using Bergara HMR's in 6.5 CM. BiL used his Tikka 300WM.
ought1ag
AG
Rolled this porker with my 243 this AM. Put out 46 bags of corn and protein and my legs are already feeling the many trips up and down the ladder.

Cancelled
AG
Thread disappoints /gay
agenjake
Well done. 1 down, 5,326,004 to go.
cupofjoe04
AG
*edited b/c I'm a dense idiot who didn't get the joke*
cupofjoe04
AG
agenjake said:

Well done. 1 down, 5,326,004 to go.
I can't wait to see some elk start rolling in!!! Already heard of a buddy arrowing a REALLY nice opening morning bull.
Cancelled
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

queso1 said:

Thread disappoints /gay
Well, then show us how it's done. Get out there and get something to hang on the pole.

Sorry if kicking off the year with a B&C animal is below your standards.

I guess my attempt at a joke about the thread title failed.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I think you're taking his post wrong.

He is saying a gay would be disappointed after opening the thread and not seeing the "meat pole" he was hoping to see.
cupofjoe04
AG
queso1 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

queso1 said:

Thread disappoints /gay
Well, then show us how it's done. Get out there and get something to hang on the pole.

Sorry if kicking off the year with a B&C animal is below your standards.

I guess my attempt at a joke about the thread title failed.

I guess my humor-meter is on the fritz again. Apologies, as I totally misread your post.
cupofjoe04
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

I think you're taking his post wrong.

He is saying a gay would be disappointed after opening the thread and not seeing the "meat pole" he was hoping to see.

Zoom... right over my head.
Cancelled
TheVarian
AG
people who don't know what title means are probably very scared to click on this thread
cupofjoe04
AG
TheVarian said:

people who don't know what title means are probably very scared to click on this thread

SO TRUE! And I never even thought of it "that way", because I see this thread every year.

Now, I can't think of it any other way.
ought1ag
AG
Bump to move this to the top.........want to make it easy to find tomorrow after I let a few arrows fly
carl spacklers hat
If this thread (with title) was on a sip board, it would have been locked down 5 minutes after the first post. For a different kind of meat pole pic.
AgySkeet06
AG

September 29,2019
Southwest Colorado County
122 5/8"
BradMtn346

Got it done last night. Biggest cow I've ever killed. 420 pounds field dressed according to my certified scales.
BradMtn346
My cousin got it done Saturday.
AggieChemist
AG
Leaves are starting to turn red in West Virginia.

Log
AG
This thread apparently dropped off when I joined the meatpole last week, so I forgot about it. Pronghorn. Panhandle. Extremely tasty. Tenderloins and some backstrap chunks hit the grill this evening.
schmellba99
AG
I shot a corn thief the other night, no pictures though. But at least I made the list. Sort of.
Ol Jock 99
AG

Story Thread
ought1ag
AG
Took the pup hunting this weekend and he got his first experience tracking. Assisted with 2 successful tracking jobs and pretty much did one all on his own. The first 2 were short jobs with lots of blood and slam dunks. The last one the doe circled behind some trees and we couldn't tell exactly where she ran into the thick stuff. I led him around in a grid pattern and then he got real rigid and had his nose plastered to the ground so I let him take the lead. After about 20 yards we finally started seeing some blood and 60 yards later we found her piled up in the cedars.

Also threw in a pick of a real nice 3-4 year old deer that was off limits. Had him at 15-25 yards for about 20 minutes.

cledus6150
AG
Killed this corn thief while leaving the ranch a couple weeks back, only firearm I had available was my 1911 when they decided to cross the road in front of me.

gwellis
AG
I shot the buck of my life this weekend and got to share it with my beautiful wife. First evening show up to hunt and the ground blind was blown over in the storm that blew through last week, so I set it back up..

Then that same evening I start to hear a bunch of noise and the Rancher is moving an old pivot out and installing a new one, so every 35-40 minutes a truck towing a section of pivot pulls up next door and they did this well into dark. No Joy.

I get my wife to come with me the next evening and we get in the blind about 1;45 before the feeder goes off. We see nothing for at least 2 hours then a small fawn comes out to the right and eats then moves on, still nothing else. 6:30 passes and I tell her that maybe they were still unsettled from the evening work before and maybe we don't see anything. 6:45 she spots movement to right and its a small ratchet head and a couple doe then she says no, farther right and here comes the buck I have been hunting. Old 7.5+ with slit G2 and 3 on his left and splt G3 on his right. Then I spot the buck behind him. WOW. I had never seen mass like that before. So i size him up and he appears to be an older mature deer as well. They step out and decide to take the newcomer for his uniqueness and how he got me so much more excited. I shoot him and the Rem 7MM Mag does its job and I just shot the Buck of my life with my wife. I am thrilled and still can't believe I got to take him. I had to share with the board. Hope you enjoy him as much as I do.

Gil '91
Cuterebra
AG
Fantastic buck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.