Outdoors
Sponsored by

Do you want to shoot a 22 competition in the Brazos Valley?

25,739 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by dubi
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You have 4 choices if you want to shoot 22 in the Brazos Valley.

1) 1st Saturday of each month is a Steel Challenge match held by The Brazosland Pistoleros.
Follow them on Facebook for all the info. You can shoot 22/9 (pistol or rifle, optic or irons).
Match is held at the Willow Hole Cowboy range east of Kurten. GPS: 30 52' 47.79" N 96 10' 49.29" W
There will be 5 strings in the course of fire on each stages, so make sure you have enough magazines.
$20 need eyes and ears

2) 2nd Saturday of each month is a 22 "action" steels match held by the Willow Hole Cowboys (WHC). This is NOT steel challenge but scored the same with best 4 of 5 strings. They are a bunch of old guys who don't do social media / Facebook, so you have to get on their match email list.

Email Jerry Mosley at jerryrmosley @ gmail.com and ask to be put on the WHC email list for the 22 match. The match is held just east of Kurten on Hwy 21. GPS: 30 52' 47.79" N 96 10' 49.29" W
There will be 5 strings in the course of fire on each stages, so make sure you have enough magazines.
$15 need eyes and ears

3) 3rd Saturday of each month is a precision 22 match held by TX Precision Matches.
Follow them on Facebook and you can find out all the info. They have loaner guns!!!!!
Match is held @ CCC shooting complex in Millican. Make sure you use Google maps if you navigate to their GPS location; Apple maps will take you into some random field. GPS: 3025'26.3"N 9614'24.6"W
$40 they do not require eyes nor ears, but I wear my shooting glasses.

4) 4th Saturday of each month is a Steel Challenge match held by The Brazosland Pistoleros.
Follow them on Facebook for all the info. You can shoot 22/9 (pistol or rifle, optic or irons).
Match is held at the Willow Hole Cowboy range east of Kurten. GPS: 30 52' 47.79" N 96 10' 49.29" W
$20 need eyes and ears

Contact me via email if you are interested and you don't have a gun. If Mr Dubi or I are there, we will share.

Questions?

Eliminatus
AG
I REALLY need to get out and get some trigger time this upcoming year. The precision looks awesome but I have always hesitated at throwing those kinds of resources at such a niche shooting type. Either way, I need to do something.

Thank for the links!
Mr. Dubi
You can borrow at the match
dubi
AG
Eliminatus said:

I REALLY need to get out and get some trigger time this upcoming year. The precision looks awesome but I have always hesitated at throwing those kinds of resources at such a niche shooting type. Either way, I need to do something.

Thank for the links!
The fantastic benefit to this competition is just showing up with money for ammo.

You don't have to buy anything at all while you figure out if you like it with the loaner gun. BTW, the loaner gun is a $5k Vudoo which is way nicer than my gun.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Is the WHC match steel challenge, some other kind of steel match?

dubi
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Is the WHC match steel challenge, some other kind of steel match?

They call it "action steel"; it is NOT steel challenge.

Basically shoot you 22 at steel plates for fun.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Cool. Not that I've made it down that way for any match, but it's nice to see all the options.

I'm pretty spoiled with how many matches are available in my area.
dubi
AG
2nd Saturday 22 match this weekend.

I'll be there with a 15-22 and tons of ammo and magazines. Bring eyes, ears, $15 and come shoot!

Register

BCStalk
What kind of 22s are typically shot at these events? I've never seen this but it looks pretty interesting.
jabberwalkie09
AG
BCStalk said:

What kind of 22s are typically shot at these events? I've never seen this but it looks pretty interesting.

Pistol or rifle, doesn't matter iirc. Browning buckmark, Ruger Mk series, 10/22, or M&P 15-22, doesn't matter. Just make sure to bring a case for it, and plenty of ammo.
Eliminatus
AG
Oh wow, just saw the replies. Must have un-watchlisted this somehow.

Thanks Dubis! Dubi's? Dubis'? The Doobs? Whatever, never did get that part of grammar down.

Thanks again! I'll have to see if I can actually make the time to get serious about it.
dubi
AG
I typically just say Dubi's.

Not quite sure if that is grammatically correct, but this is Texags so it doesn't matter.
DiskoTroop
This is a great thread to post this in and I hope the OP doesn't mind:

I have a beautiful benchrest style Remington 40x .22 I'm selling with two stocks.

Asking $1300. Can send pictures if you'll email me at the email in my profile.

Thanks!
HUEY04
AG
I want to try a .22lr steel match. Are any reloads required, do you need to draw from a holster (any recs for a MK IV .22/45 Lite)?
dubi
AG
HUEY04 said:

I want to try a .22lr steel match. Are any reloads required, do you need to draw from a holster (any recs for a MK IV .22/45 Lite)?
5 strings per stage so with 5-6 targets. Unless you shoot bad, all the reloading is off the clock.

Start indexed low ready aiming at the stop plate. Bag or holster for storage.
A.G.S.
AG
Not above borrowing a rifle, but I do have an old Marlin lever action 22 I need to knock the rust off of....

Would that be out of place at an event like this?
dubi
AG
A.G.S. said:

Not above borrowing a rifle, but I do have an old Marlin lever action 22 I need to knock the rust off of....

Would that be out of place at an event like this?
Honestly? Yes.

Occasionally some old coot brings out a level action and they are really good. However, reloading is slow and it makes the squad be delayed.

If you have a pistol, bring 5 mags.

Rifle, then bring 2 extended mags or 5 small mags.
Tim Weaver
Think any one would laugh if I showed up with my Nylon 77's?
dubi
AG
Tim Weaver said:

If it is a laughable situation, I will do so with gusto and photograph it to post here!
Tim Weaver
lol.

It might be. A 6' 4" guy shooting miniature plastic rifle....
dubi
AG
My M&P 15-22 is a plastic rifle.
Mr. Dubi
Tim Weaver said:

Not if you have five magazines and can shoot five targets after the buzzer. Also don't point your gun at anybody and make sure you don't load your gun until told to do so
Tim Weaver
Mr. Dubi said:

Tim Weaver said:

Not if you have five magazines and can shoot five targets after the buzzer. Also don't point your gun at anybody and make sure you don't load your gun until told to do so
Mine does not have the magazine. It's tube fed.

*googling* I guess that makes it a model 66. I've always thought it was a 77, but I guess I was wrong.

They were bought by my Father-In-Law for my kids, but they don't like shooting them as much as they like handguns. Might be different if we had some land to plink on.
Tim Weaver
For real though, I've never done any competition shooting. Sounds like fun, but would you suggest going rifle or handgun for a beginner?

I have always wanted a 22/45 outfitted for target shooting. Might have to do some trading......
HUEY04
AG
Thanks! I've been on the Willow Hole Cowboys mailing list for a while but just haven't ever made it out and didn't know what equip I would need. Sounds like I'm all set and just need to show up.
dubi
AG
HUEY04 said:

Thanks! I've been on the Willow Hole Cowboys mailing list for a while but just haven't ever made it out and didn't know what equip I would need. Sounds like I'm all set and just need to show up.
Please register.

It really helps for them to know how many shooters are coming.
dubi
AG
Tim Weaver said:

For real though, I've never done any competition shooting. Sounds like fun, but would you suggest going rifle or handgun for a beginner?

I have always wanted a 22/45 outfitted for target shooting. Might have to do some trading......

Shoot what you are the most comfortable with....

If you mostly shoot a pistol, then do that. If you are primarily a rifle shooter, then shoot a rifle. I can tell you rifle with a red dot is easier!

Some register twice and shoot both a pistol and a rifle.

Mr Dubi will be out of town this weekend, but another match he can bring a 22/45 for you to try.
HUEY04
AG
I just registered for the shoot this Saturday. Tim Weaver, I'll be shooting a Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite with Volquartsen trigger kit, Tandemkross trigger shoe, Vortex Viper red dot and Rugged Oculus Suppressor (if that is ok for the match?) and you are welcome to give it a try also if you want.
dubi
AG
HUEY04 said:

I just registered for the shoot this Saturday. Tim Weaver, I'll be shooting a Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite with Volquartsen trigger kit, Tandemkross trigger shoe, Vortex Viper red dot and Rugged Oculus Suppressor (if that is ok for the match?) and you are welcome to give it a try also if you want.
Go big or go home!

I'm mentoring a 10yo girl shooting her first match so I'll be too busy to play with your gun. However I'd love a rain check.

Where hwy 21 narrows from 4 lanes to 2 lanes make a right at the top of that hill. Easy landmark.
dubi
AG
Suppressor will be an issue if too quiet, then the timer won't pickup your shots.

Be prepared to remove it if that happens.
Mr. Dubi
Mr Dubi has a standard MK III, not a 22/45 for what it's worth. The main differences are grip angle and magazines...

A suppressed pistol may trigger the timer, but it will really slow you down. Run it unsuppressed!
dubi
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Mr Dubi has a standard MK III, not a 22/45 for what it's worth. The main differences are grip angle and magazines...

A suppressed pistol may trigger the timer, but it will really slow you down. Run it unsuppressed!
dubi
AG
22 "outlaw" match this Saturday in Kurten. Read the first post for more details; this is the "2nd saturday" match.

Practiscore link
dubi
AG
22 Precision match this Saturday in Millican. Read the first post for more details; this is the "3rd Saturday" match.

Practiscore link
Mr. Dubi
dubi said:

22 Precision match this Saturday in Millican. Read the first post for more details; this is the "3rd Saturday" match.

Practiscore link
Dubi won the match with her hot rod M&P 15/22 by shooting so consistently.

Come out on October 26 for official Steel Challenge Match You can shoot rimfire pistol, rifle or centerfire pistol or princess caliber carbine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.