Outdoors
Sponsored by

Security Systems

6,130 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Martin Cash
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to go the other way here.....

I have Smith Thompson and pay about $200 per year all in. I don't have anything fancy, but when my alarm goes off (99% kids or wife set it off), a real person from Texas calls within 30 seconds to check in or call police. When I've called them for customer service, a human picks up right away. They've been great.

I get the piece of mind that cameras bring and I don't fault anyone for getting them, but are they really that effective? I feel like once week someone posts a video on our neighborhood nextdoor with a nice video of some guy breaking into their car or stealing a package in broad day light. Half the time you can't make out their face, half the time it doesn't matter. If you take that great video to the police, I'm sure they say thanks and that's it. I don't totally see the point of it.

RK
AG
i use smith thompson, as well. the cameras are, more than anything, a visual deterrent (and one of the more effective ones, from what law enforcement says).

but, you're right, if someone is hell bent on breaking in the cameras won't dissuade them...and the video probably isn't going to do too much in increasing the odds that the guy is caught. i mostly like the cameras just to see what's going on when i'm not there.
Get Off My Lawn
My current system: a cocker spaniel to wake up the boxer. A boxer to review the threat. A 1911 to deal with the threat.

I've been mulling over getting some cameras for evidence purposes, but I unplugged the alert system (chirp @ doors / windows) due to it being a nuisance. I remain skeptical of the value that you get from subscription services (i.e. what can someone actually do from a remote location).
JSKolache
AG
Yep on Smith Thompson. Let them take over monitoring when your ADT contract is up.

Then add your own camera(s) as you see fit. I picked up a Blink cam from Amazon on prime day 2018; it works and I like it. But I don't love it enough to go and buy 3 more just yet. Wireless cam tech is evolving rapidly, so my recommendation is to buy cheap/reasonable & expect to replace in a few years - just like you would any other electronic device.
MisterShipWreck
I have been using Arlo Pro cameras for 2 years - I really like them.

I have 4 of them. They work well. Most of the complaints I see online are the geofencing issue - and, I never use that.

The only negative is having to pull them down to recharge. Now, I just leave the USB cable attached on 3 of the 4. And, I use an extension cord when needed to charge them. So, I do not have to take them down anymore.

They notify me on my cell phone instantly when anyone sets the front or rear door cameras. Typically, the rear door one is set off by a squirrel every day.

They do have new versions of the cameras out now, so the Arlo Pro camera setups are cheaper now than when I bought mine
skelso
AG
You can still access the DVR remotely by using a VPN connection between your phone and the DVR. Depending upon your system features, you may even be able to get email alerts still.

Edit: must have hit wrong emogi...
gwellis
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Best security system on the planet:

Yeah, but those bastages eat about $40 a month plus vet bills and property damage.
3RDGNAg05
AG
I have ADT with their cameras. I have been extremely pleased with the system and the APP. 5 cameras with installation of their normal system with inside sensors I am probably in it a grand total plus 60/month for monitoring/data storage. If you did it all at once probably save money especially for a new customer. I did my cameras after initial install, had to do some negotiating to get the cameras at a discount.
Martin Cash
AG
RK said:

i use smith thompson, and wesson.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.