Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wood!

12,250 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieStout
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally finished the gaming table up:

The leafs (leaves?) have a carriage on ultra heavy duty (450lb) 36" drawer guides that you can store in the base when not in use.

I am also starting on a few console/sofa tables and a dresser and a humidor for boogs (I haven't forgotten!)

One of the console tables is going to be more of a carved tree base style, which should prove interesting.

Upside down for fitment and leveling of the 'branches'

Also a mesquite burl cigar tray snuck in to the workload:

And another huge pecan table from the same tree as the last one I got delivered:

I am also trying to use up some of my on hand inventory of slabs, so I decided to make a walnut table with a maple base that will be stained black:

and a huge maple bowl that has sat in my shop (in the way mainly) for a few years. roughly 24" in diameter and with a cool curl throughout. The pictures dont do it much service in showing scale. You could put a couple of basketballs in that thing.

I think there were some other projects in there, but I just can't remember at the moment. Though I did swing by Eyeguys shop and we may have some cool ideas we can pair up on, but I will let him reveal details if we can work it out.
SanAntoneAg
AG
As usual, great work!
Gig 'em! '90
JYDog90
AG
I love looking at the bowls.
Post removed:
by user
agrams
AG
I think i've changed tables about 3 times in the last year. I typically make a stock table, use it as my table until it sells, then make a few more. I want to make another one from some of the honey locust I have on hand next.

This is our current table:

Milwaukees Best Light
Post removed:
by user
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Very nice!

mmtexasace
AG
rootube
AG
Agrams and Eye Guy are teaming up! This is like the OB version of "The Avengers".
DeWrecking Crew
That gaming table is SWEEEET! I'm jealous of your skillset; nice work!
agrams
AG
I have had a lot of good feedback on the gaming table setup. I may do a few stock pieces and use some of the on-hand inventory I have of cherry from a tree I cut down. The track/rail system needs some improvement, but I really liked working on the functionality of it and the carriage in the base for the leafs(sp?).
danieljustin06
AG
rootube said:

Agrams and Eye Guy are teaming up! This is like the OB version of "The Avengers".

We just need a toolbox...
Log
AG
I like crotch........

.....figure.
rednecked
AG
Agrams you are an inspiration for those of us new to woodworking!
zooguy96
AG
Misleading thread title!
agrams
AG
misguided expectations!
chiken
AG
OMG I WANT THAT BOWL!!!!!
aggiedent
AG
I love those maple bases but I have a question. Being lighter than the metal bases on our Pecan table, and having an arched foot, are they going to keep a large slab table stable?
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
Thread title corrected.

Whew! That was a close one.

DeWrecking Crew
This is quickly turning into my favorite thread of the month...on a side note, her belly button seems too high, more investigation is needed
agrams
AG
stability is mainly a function of the top anchored in to the base. The feet at the floor really don't do much, its more of a function of the mounting to the tabletop to give a solid feel. Thats why your base has the wider top for mounting to the table. We could have done the base only 1-2" wide and it wouldn't have much (if any) impact on the stability and feel of the table.
FirefightAg
AG
nice work as always
aggiedent
AG
Well, those are beautiful bases!!!
MizooAg94
AG
Beautiful as usual. I am curious as to the finish you chose for the ashtray.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
the pic of the ole gal above is what I pictured when you described the 24" bowl.

"a couple of basketballs could fit in there"
mays04
AG
Do you make cigar trays for sale?

agrams
AG
I do. That burl one is unique as I don't get wood like that very often.

These are the roughed out ones I have:

These are a few I've done in the past:

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Did you ever sale that pecan star desk? We just moved to east Texas and I'm putting some cash away each month to save up for something like that. Will be about 8-12 months before I'm ready to pull the trigger, so don't die.
jamaggie06
AG
Nope. Close... but no cigar...
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
If I had the money and space to put all that stuff, I would buy it. That stuff is amazing.
agrams
AG
I still do have that one. I am actually working hard to clear a lot of inventory also of slabs I have. I am making two cherry desktops at the moment from a tree I milled up. I decided to do curved joints as I liked the natural curve of the boards and wanted to carry that all the way through to the final desks:

agnerd
AG
agrams said:

I decided to do curved joints as I liked the natural curve of the boards and wanted to carry that all the way through to the final desks:
Didn't even know that was possible!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Is that the same tree that you used for the entry way bench?
agrams
AG
Yeah, It is. I have a lot of that tree left I need to consume.

I am working on a tree style base for an entry table, and may try to use some of that cherry to also do tree style bases for the desks if I can get this one to turn out well.

Lots of carving and sanding/shaping (makes note to self, buy some damn carvers rasps):

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.