Outdoors
Sponsored by

Prince of Poachers

24,342 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Shoefly!
agwarrior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not proud of myself, but I read this book. I'm pretty disgusted by this guy on many levels. Anybody else read it and have any thoughts?
fishJones
AG
Why are you not proud of yourself for reading a book?

Just curious.
agwarrior
AG
Have you read it?
Furlock Bones
AG
i refuse read and thereby support that trash.
PFG
AG
Why would anyone give money to that guy?

You know the story: cut locks, got in ranches, shot deer, profited.

Why pay to read it?
agwarrior
AG
I was outside Creede,CO all last week staying in some cabins. Being that the fishing was absolute crap I had some down time. Someone left the book(which was more like a magazine) behind and I read it. Like I said, not proud of it but I didn't pay for it..
PFG
AG
Thanks for clarifying. Glad you didn't have to pay to read his trash "book".
BullSprig07
AG
I saw this make the rounds on some of the Hunting Forums/Facebook pages a few months ago. I read some free excerpts and I think that guys' writing/grammar may actually be worse than his morals/ethics.
BrazosDog02
AG
Wait...someone wrote a book and documented how they broke the law? Am I understanding this book right?
fishJones
AG
Hunted nilgai on the Kenedy a few months ago and learned a lot about this guy from our guide. Haven't read the book, and for the record I disagree with every single one of his poaching activities, but it is still an interesting story and I just don't see why it is wrong to read about it. That's all.
agwarrior
AG
That's exactly what it's about. The guy is perhaps the biggest POS imaginable. I was in disbelief and that's kinda why I kept reading it.. I can't understand how the guy is walking free much less profiting from all of his exploits.. I grew up around Corpus Christi and I'm pretty familiar with the King/Kenedy ranches where he did most of his damage. He's lucky he isn't buried in a shallow grave on the beach somewhere.
tony
AG
Thought this was about the book "Danny champion of the world"

Loved that book as a kid. Read it in the back of my moms station wagon on a family trip to Oregon. Made me want to find some raisins and some pheasant
PFG
AG
Quote:

The guy is perhaps the biggest POS imaginable

Poachers suck, but let's not try and give them the same POS standing as folks that abuse kids, beat women, etc.

In the end, they are killing animals.

Perspective.
jkc001
I know Charlie Beatty personally and will come to his defense. His is a crazy story of how he went from, in his words, "the dark side to the light." Today, he works closely with the Texas Game Wardens advocating legal hunting, fishing, and conservation. He is a true outdoor enthusiast who honestly acknowledges the mistakes of his past and encourages others, through his stories, not to engage in similar behavior.

A funny story that Charlie tells is about when he graduated High School. It goes, "When I graduated High School, I could have gone to Stanford University in Palo Alto, California or the Northeast Omaha School of Taxidermy. Guess which one I chose."

Life is full of choices. It's better when one learns from others and make good ones.
AgEng06
AG
This is good info... but I still don't think he should be able to profit from his years of breaking the law.

(I realize this kind of profiting happens all the time, but I still don't agree with it.)
agwarrior
AG
Maybe Part 2 of his book will go into the good things he's doing now. At the end of Part 1 he talks about how the laws are much more strict now than in his day and that's why he no longer poaches.. He also talks about hunting deer in Heaven some day which I thought was pretty comical. I get that he didn't kill people, but he must have really turned over a new leaf if he thinks he's going to Heaven..

Also, I find it highly unlikely he could've gone to Stanford. Unless of course he was just there to kill all the wildlife on campus, cut their heads off, and leave their remains to rot. All while laughing and smoking a lot of dope..
PFG
AG
Those who believe also believe He forgives.
birddog7000
AG
I opened the thread thinking the title was pinche poachers.
agwarrior
AG
Have you read the book? I understand he wasn't killing people and that God forgives, but he doesn't come across as someone who has made peace with God. The book is poorly written in a manner that makes him come across as being very proud of all his illegal activities. He seems to think the world and anything in it is his for the taking.
jkc001
Agwarrior, Charlie was/is definitely not Stanford material. The Northeast Omaha School of Taxidermy was the best choice for him. And for those who fault his literary skills, English wasn't a requirement for becoming a Taxidermist.

Like with most books people write about their own experiences, there's a story behind the story that seldom gets told. Such is the case here. Until you get to know the person it can be difficult to relate to what the person has experienced in their life. Be slow to judge.

If this book had been written about an afternoon deer hunt, no one would be talking about it. People want to read what captures their attention, even when they find it disagreeable.

I suggest you get to know Charlie. Ask him about his experiences hunting, I believe it was jaguars, in the Yucatan jungle and getting lost for 10 days. Or, about putting mops on his feet to hide his footprints from the Game Wardens. There's a picture out there somewhere of him in handcuffs being led into the Courthouse with the mops still on his feet.

https://www.facebook.com/Princeofpoachers/
AgEng06
AG
I get it... but how does any of that justify trespassing and poaching trophy bucks? It's not like he was killing a doe here or there for food.

And I'm actually curious now how years of poaching can somehow be justified based on someone's life story/experiences. It doesn't sound like, however, that the book answers this?

And the text on this pic from his Facebook page doesn't really paint a picture of someone that is the least bit sorry about all of this...

jkc001
AgEng06, your analysis is correct but this story isn't about justification or right and wrong. It's about another time in his life and selling books.
Bregxit
AG
Interesting account history for jkc001...joined 2003, 13 posts, 3 on this thread. What an odd choice to surface from lurking...white knighting a prolific poacher.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
dlance said:

Interesting account history for jkc001...joined 2003, 13 posts, 3 on this thread. What an odd choice to surface from lurking...white knighting a prolific poacher.
jkc001
dlance, I prefer lurking. See you again in a few years. Be well.
agwarrior
AG
One of the stories he tells is about not having ammo, so instead of waiting and buying some ammo when the stores open he makes his own using old brass and bullets/powder from another caliber. He admits that he knew nothing about reloading.. Anyway, he sneaks into the Kenedy and shoots 3-4 bucks but they keep running off. He then decides to shoot a small 10 point just to see where the bullet lands. He too runs off(and dies after assuredly suffering like the rest). The story has a happy ending after he once again sneaks onto the Kenedy the next season and finds the remains of a couple of the trophy deer and recovers the antlers.
rootube
AG
I like this story better when the poachers are eaten by lions in the end.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/07/alleged-rhino-poachers-eaten-by-lions-south-africa-reserve/

rootube
AG
AgEng06 said:

I get it... but how does any of that justify trespassing and poaching trophy bucks? It's not like he was killing a doe here or there for food.

And I'm actually curious now how years of poaching can somehow be justified based on someone's life story/experiences. It doesn't sound like, however, that the book answers this?

And the text on this pic from his Facebook page doesn't really paint a picture of someone that is the least bit sorry about all of this...

I don't know who Ryan Wilson is but if this book is a close second to the bible that guy needs to spend a lot more time reading.
AgEng06
AG
My thoughts exactly.
cupofjoe04
AG
jkc001 said:

AgEng06, your analysis is correct but this story isn't about justification or right and wrong. It's about another time in his life and selling books.
The OB is not a place you are going to get much sympathy for a prolific poacher. Especially one who continues to try and profit from those actions, in the form of an unrepentant tell-all.

I have worked with and seen people, for instance, trying to share their "story" with high school kids and such. They say they (and I think genuinely do) want to help the kids make better choices, help the kids learn from their mistakes. But they spend the whole time talking about and glorifying their past lives... and never talk about the pain they inflicted and suffered. They never (or only briefly) get around to challenging the kids to be better, to not repeat their costly mistakes. Instead of seeing a broken & repentant person, and hearing a "wake up call" - people instead get a picture of a fast & cool life of crime, that you can walk away from and profit.

To be honest, this sounds like the same sort of thing.

I'm not saying the guy is garbage and deserves the death penalty or anything like that... but we shouldn't be judged for not wanting to support his attempt to continue to profit off of his past misdeeds. Is he donating all profits from this book to Operation Game Thief or something like that? If so, I missed seeing that on any of his literature. Nothing about his book, website, or FB page point to a repentant person who is trying to make the world a better place.

You actually know him, and maybe he really is changed. If so, you might advise him to work on his public persona and brand- because it seems to still be glorifying the poaching world. You said "this story is about selling books"; and that is exactly how it comes across. Why shouldn't we be critical of a cold hearted poacher trying to continue to profit from his poaching? It doesn't appear his motivations have changed all that much. And if they have, he needs to do a better job of communicating that publicly- because it isn't coming across.

Just my worthless .02 opinion.
cupofjoe04
AG
rootube said:

I don't know who Ryan Wilson is but if this book is a close second to the bible that guy needs to spend a lot more time reading.
Seriously. Hyperbole much?
AgEng06
AG
You're a lot better at these "words" things than I am. Good post.
agwarrior
AG
Well said!
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

Thanks. I get paid enough to be half-way decent at the "words".

I still feel awful at typed/written communication, though. I am entirely too dependent upon spell check to catch my errors, which it does not always do.
AgEng06
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

AgEng06 said:

Thanks. I get paid enough to be half-way decent at the "words".

I still feel awful at typed/written communication, though. I am entirely too dependent upon spell check to catch my errors, which it does not always do.
How many times did you read this post to be sure there were no spelling errors?

I admit, I was looking for one to quote for you.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.