Outdoors
Sponsored by

Brown recluse?

42,957 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BusterAg
MR Gadsden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, I can't go back to sleep now. I woke up to something crawling on my back swatted at it and killed it. I'm pretty sure it's a brown recluse, I'm pretty sure it bite me in the back, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to die now.

Anyone here ever been bitten and can tell me it's really not as bad as I think?

Maybe this isn't a recluse?

Let me figure out how to post a pic on mobile.
MR Gadsden
spider of death

couldn't figure it out on mobile in my incapacitated state. My wife cares so much, she went back to sleep.
highvelocity
AG
I don't see a banjo
MR Gadsden
I thought it was a violin? Isn't a banjo in Deliverance?
texas.aggie.2010
From another thread

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Identify-a-Brown-Recluse%3famp=1

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/spiders/types.html

SPF250
AG
Obligatory: He dead yet?
C Loves L
RIP
45-70Ag
AG
Can they amputate your back?
BCStalk
I've been bitten under my arm and it was worse than I thought.
MR Gadsden
Do you know if they have Texags in heaven, I'd like to see how this thread ends. Ended up falling asleep on the couch. My back is sore. Not sure of it from the couch or the bite. The skin around the bite feels tight but so far I haven't died. I'm certain it's only a matter of time.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I thought I've read that they can't bite unless they are "pressed" (for lack of a better word) against your skin, ala inserting a foot into a shoe and trapping the BR between the shoe and your foot.

Did I daydream that?

If not, then I don't think you were bitten if it was just scampering across your back. Good luck either way. I hate that feeling.
highvelocity
AG
Yer right. I don't see one of them either lol
MR Gadsden
I'm pretty sure in my mid-sleep panic I squished it against my back.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Oh.

Well, in that case....

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
EFE
AG
I had one bite me on the foot when I squished him with a bare foot putting my shoes back on after a hearty bounce on a trampoline when I was in Kindergarten. I didn't get murdereded but I do remember when the Dr was cutting the dead part of my foot out, I was either screaming bloody murder because knives and feet don't mix or laughing hysterically because 5yo me was wicked ticklish.
Woods Ag
AG
Welp, thank you for that... while I am now confident I can identify a brown recluse, I'll never put another shoe on without whackin it out. I was sitting in my home office with the lights off, and now they're all on and I've scanned the floor for spideys despite the fact that we sprayed last week for pests.
Ag 11
AG
aggiedent
AG
A few years back I played in the Corral Club's (Houston Rodeo) post rodeo golf tournament. One of the guys on our team was a retired Harris County employee. He was in his 60's.

I noticed he had a good sized hole in his calf. I asked him about it and he said it was a brown recluse bite. I also asked if he was seeing a doctor. He said something to the effect of "nah.....nothing they can do so I don't bother with em."

See OP, just be a tough old timer and you'll be fine..........with a large hole in your back.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Bird Poo
AG
When I was going through boot camp at Ft. Sill, there was a dude limping around the base the entire time we were there. He had come in with a group previous to ours. Anyway, his foot was turned inward and it looked like he was half crippled. Turns out a BR bit him on the inside of his leg above the ankle, and the infection screwed up the muscles/tendons that keep your foot straight.

That stuck with me for a while. He's probably still wondering around Ft. Sill on medical 18 years later.
Woods Ag
AG
My dad got bit on the forearm by one. Dug it out with a knife and made me pour alcohol in the hole in his forearm. My mom still made him go to the doctor and doc just said "well he did the only thing I would have done, except I would have numbed the area"

I ain't half as tough as my pops. lol
malenurse
AG
At the very least you should be seen by an md and get started on antibiotics.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
1990AG
AG
malenurse said:

At the very least you should be seen by an md and get started on antibiotics.
Username...

it checks out...

redass1876
AG
been 2.5h since his last post; he ded
samsal75
AG
If this spider bite kills you tell your wife to call me if she needs any assistance.
aggiedent
AG
You gotta love this forum ............ already stepping up to assist the widow.
MR Gadsden
I'm in Midland so finding a doctor is harder than expected. Been here for nearly two years and thankfully have only had to go to the allergist and ENT. Nether of those docs wants to see my bite on my back.

78_Pacecar
AG
Rule 1 on the bite, or at the very least the future widow.
Old RV Ag
AG
Richline said:

I'm in Midland so finding a doctor is harder than expected. Been here for nearly two years and thankfully have only had to go to the allergist and ENT. Nether of those docs wants to see my bite on my back.

Damn, the brown recluse is the lesser of two evils. Just let nature take its course.
AgEng98
aggiedent said:

You gotta love this forum ............ already stepping up to assist the widow.

Before I met my wife, I asked one of my best friends' mother to adopt me, so I could fulfill my biblical duties of caring for my new brother's widow in the event he died.
1990AG
AG
12th man tag and 1 star??

is the dead yet?

agcrock2005
AG
78_Pacecar said:

Rule 1 on the bite, or at the very least the future widow.
Wonder if she's black...
Shoefly!
AG
A friend of mine was bit years ago, he ended up losing a chunk of muscle in his thigh. He was in the hospital for around 5 days, low body temp. And hooked up to IV's. So yea I'd go see Doc.
MR Gadsden
The ignore feature is priceless.

At the doctor now.

Y'all are a bunch of vultures.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.