Outdoors
Sponsored by

Soft Coolers?

4,215 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BurrOak
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there any soft side coolers that compete with and or as good or better than the Yeti's? Need smaller type for boat.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Aggieangler93
AG
Most folks like the Rtic ones just as well.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BCStalk
I have the yeti and I HATE the zipper. It doesn't matter how much you lube it, it takes a lot of effort to open and close it. I am seriously considering buying a RTIC.
STX Ag
AG
BCStalk said:

I have the yeti and I HATE the zipper. It doesn't matter how much you lube it, it takes a lot of effort to open and close it. I am seriously considering buying a RTIC.

We just got a RTIC and it has the same issue. Doesn't bother me but the kids can't open it which is kind of a pain.
BCStalk
Well that's not what I wanted to hear.
Salt of the water
AG
Silicone lube once the zipper starts to get tough. I think my rtic even came with some.
AnScAggie
AG
Whatever you get don't get one with the top zipper (which I know yeti doesn't make anymore, not sure about Rtic). My Yeti one is like putting your hand in a briar patch every time you put something in it or take something out of it. Bought my wife the backpack version for her to use when she's at the coast by herself and she loves it.
strohag
AG
Hopper Flips are great
CSTXAg92
AG
I've got a Yeti, an RTIC, and three nesting Polar Bear coolers. My favorite by far are the Polar Bears. They are light and hold ice fine for a day or so, depending on how much you access the contents and how hot it is where you are. Best thing about them is they fold up pretty nicely or conveniently nest when not in use.

https://www.polarbearcoolers.com/category/hunting-coolers.html
IslandAg76
AG
I have an RTIC soft and so far, so good for the zipper- with light use.
But, I think the RTIC zipper is at least as bad as the Yeti
rather be fishing
AG
My wife found this Built NY cooler at Ross or one of those type stores for like $50:

https://www.amazon.com/Built-5213958-Insulated-Leak-Proof-Opening/dp/B071D6T8JK

Have not used it yet, but it seems to be decent.
Bird93
AG
AO Coolers are the best I've found that don't cost a fortune and operate with ease. The only downside is the zipper isn't waterproof/leak-proof.
TexasAggie2006
AG
Yeti will be releasing one in September that will be closed by magnets and straps for ease of access. The insulation is supposed to be an upgrade too from their previous soft sides.
dead zip 01
AG
We have an AO we use for the boat and it works great.
FIDO*98*
AG
I run a bead of this on my zippers every few uses. Works like a charm. I have Yeti and RTIC. Pretty much a draw. I've never paid full price for Yeti and never would. RTIC is just as good

45-70Ag
AG
I have an igloo soft cooler because I'm a cheap ass and afraid I'd lose the thing. No issues with the zipper
chickencoupe16
AG
Just bought a Tourit backpack/shoulder carry. Filled it with 26 room temperature cans and 15 pounds of ice yesterday at 830 AM. To test it, Ieft it in the truck parked in the sun until 730 PM. It still had faint pieces of ice when I took it out.

I can't say much more than that as today is the third day that I've owned it. It does have 2 water proof exterior pockets, which I plan to use for phones and my wallet on our two upcoming river trips. If you're still trying to make a decision, I'll report back after the river trips.
texags08
AG
If money isn't an issue I would go with Yeti. Worth it for the quality.

If you are more worried about the zipper, go with an ice mule. They have roll tops.

The zipper on the yeti is leak proof, not so much so on the RTIC. I own a hopper 2 30 and the lunchbox size RTIC. Now that I can afford it I would go with the Yeti every time.

I am in the market for the backpack version and I and truly torn between the Ice Mule and the Yeti. The reasons I want a backpack lean more towards the ice mule because of how light and compact it can become.

BigCountryAg
AG
I have a couple RTIC soft side coolers and while I've been amazed at the ice retention, after about 5-6 uses the zipper has come out of alignment and will not zip up on the 2 back corners and is completely unusable. Really frustrating and about to contact RTIC about it. If I can get that fixed/replaced somehow I'd be a lifelong customer.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
aftershock
They're normally pretty good on warranty (in my experience). If you have an issue and you're ever out in the Houston area, swing by their store off 290. They're normally very helpful in person. I try to stay away from there because they've figured out how to separate me from my money....

For those of you looking for a soft cooler, that RTIC store had a bunch in their clearance section in the back of the store about 2 weeks ago.
Bird93
AG
Bucees caries a branded soft cooler, which I think is made by Rtic. It's a 30-can for $50. Hell of a deal.
aTm2004
AG
Another vote for the Rtic. I bought a 30 in the spring when they had them for 60% off (50% right now it looks like) and have been pleased with it. Took it with us when we went to the hill country for spring break and only filled it with ice the first day. It was in the back of the van and we'd open it to grab a snack or drink when we'd stop.

I'd also suggest getting a set of Cooler Shocks to use instead of ice. I bought the midsize ones and they fit in the 30 perfectly. I used them in the cooler on the lake last month and they worked great. When we got back to his lake house, I just put them back in the freezer and put the cooler up...no dumping ice or any type of clean up.
WC87
AG
RTIC or Ice Mule.
hurricanejake02
AG
WC87 said:

RTIC or Ice Mule.
I have both the RTIC 30 and the Ice Mule Pro XL. They both have their uses, but if I only had one of them, either would likely do. The RTIC is definitely more versatile if you also have food or items that are sensitive to being crushed or getting waterlogged, or if you're hauling a variety of drinks and need to grab a specific one. The Ice Mule is so much easier to carry if you have to haul it very far. Both are a bit of a hassle getting in and out, but I find others typically leave the RTIC at least partially unzipped because of the wrap-around design of the zipper. Once you wrap up the Ice Mule, there's no doubt that it's closed.

Price wise, the RTIC wins hands down. I likely wouldn't even have the Ice Mule if it hadn't been a gift.

That being said, if you were seriously getting out in the middle of nowhere, the Ice Mule Boss ($300) has some additional structure to it and some dry storage. I just strap the RTIC sidekick pouch onto the Ice Mule I have and make do.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thanks everyone, went with the RTIC 30 from RTIC website. One of those odd times when it pays to check around online, RTIC was less expensive than Amazon. Purchased a 4 pack of 'cooler shock's in medium to go with the cooler. For my use saving +$100 over the Yeti is certainly worth it, hard to believe that Yeti can continue to charge what they do, they cannot be twice as good as any other product. Of course, your mileage may vary..
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
SanAntoneAg
AG
After the fact...

Ozark Trails works fine for me on my boat.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-12-Can-Premium-Cooler/55626733?
bam02
AG
The leak proof zipper is overrated. Mostly a gimmick feature. I have an RTIC and exact copy of it branded Yukon Outfitters. Great coolers but the zipper is stupid.

I would go AO or Polar Bear.

What is Yeti trying to prevent from leaking?..... melted ice????
14TheRoad
AG
Plus one on Ozark trail. Zippers probably aren't as good and not leak proof but for $40 it gets the job done very well. Had a zipper get off track on one after a few months, took it back to Walmart and they swapped it out no questions asked, no receipt needed. Keeps ice for 1-2 days which in my use is plenty for a soft sided cooler.
BurrOak
AG
Ozark Trail. Not quite the quality of the RTIC, but not crap either. Pretty solid for its price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.