Outdoors
Sponsored by

ISO: Recommendations for all-terrain tires for f-250

8,145 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jswags
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not a tires and wheels guy but getting a new F250 and want to put some sort of all-terrain tire on it because my deer lease gets very slippery even with 4WD on. I work in downtown dallas and park in parking garage so I'm not looking for big tires. I know nothing about AT tires so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
PFG
AG
If you can hold out a couple of weeks, these drop on Aug 1:

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-x-at
PFG
AG
You'll also get suggestions for the BFG, Nitto, and Toyo ATs. All good tires. Probably comes down to budget, preference, and place you can buy em.
Furlock Bones
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I'm not a tires and wheels guy but getting a new F250 and want to put some sort of all-terrain tire on it because my deer lease gets very slippery even with 4WD on. I work in downtown dallas and park in parking garage so I'm not looking for big tires. I know nothing about AT tires so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
how many miles a year do you average?
AgEng06
AG
LiveOak said:

You'll also get suggestions for the BFG, Nitto, and Toyo ATs. All good tires. Probably comes down to budget, preference, and place you can buy em.
This. I'll go ahead and get the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 recommendation out of the way. They are great. I had the original KOs on one truck, then switched to the Toyo Open Country A/T II and didn't like them as much. They slid around too much on wet pavement. When I got a new truck I went back to the BFGs.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Just got some Cooper A/T3's for my Fx4 f350. They are super quiet on the highway and just got me through some gnarly mud. Unsure of how they hold up against rocks.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

About 30,000.
AgEng06
AG
LiveOak said:

If you can hold out a couple of weeks, these drop on Aug 1:

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-x-at
And I hadn't seen these before, but they look a lot like the BFGs...

Yoko

BFG
Furlock Bones
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

About 30,000.
in that case, you warrant getting Michelins. they will last longer than all of the others on tread life.
PFG
AG
Yes. New tire from Yoko. And i can't find pricing yet, but if I had to guess - they will be less than the arm and leg BFG wants. And, just my opinion, the BFG is too soft for a SD truck doing a lot of running on rocks. Fine if mostly highway, but the SD ranch road trucks chew em up.
Bird93
AG
I ran BFG then Nitto for years on my 1/2-tons and loved them both. I thought the BFG performed better off road, but the Nittos ran way quieter and smoother on the highway.

General Grabbers are very highly rated for the Super Duty trucks. I put the Grabbers on my F-350 a few months ago, and I love them. They've performed great so far, and I've had them in just about every condition short of snow/ice. They were right at the same price point as Nitto & Cooper, a bit less than BFG, and way less than Toyo. Just make sure you're purchasing the correct load rating for your truck, which I believe would be 126.
Central Committee
AG
I second the recommendation above for the BFG. Great traction in the mud, without elevating the noise from the tires on the highway.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
tamc93
AG
I run Michelin AT on mine and have not had any issues (and I have "tried to get stuck) on job sites, farm, or general use.

I would focus on your dominant use first (e.g. highway) and get a good secondary use tire - for me that was the Michelins
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Aggie_3
BFGs are junk!

Go with Yokohama's
stdeb11
AG
Nitto Terragrapplers or Cooper Discovery St Maxx. Currently running the disco's and really love them. Also heard great things about the Nitto Ridgegrapplers but haven't ran those yet.
Aggie_3
LiveOak said:

Yes. New tire from Yoko. And i can't find pricing yet, but if I had to guess - they will be less than the arm and leg BFG wants. And, just my opinion, the BFG is too soft for a SD truck doing a lot of running on rocks. Fine if mostly highway, but the SD ranch road trucks chew em up.

Yep we run the Yokohama Geolander M/T G003 on my wife's F-250 and love them very little road noise and has handled off road for 9500 miles and barely any tread wear at all. They run extremely smooth on the highway as well
0708aggie
AG
I have the Nitto Ridgegrapplers on my 250 and they are great.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am on my second set of BFGs AT KO2s on my half ton and they're phenomenal. Had Mud Terrains on my old truck before then.

On the half ton, I got an easy 61K out of mine (rotated and balanced every 6k). Apparently the previous tread compound lead to some premature wear on the heavy duty trucks but they have since modified the compound and fixed that issued. It didn't change the ride quality on my truck and I'm running E tires.

At 30K a year, you're really in no mans land... you will probably have a hard time lasting two years on a set of A/Ts (regardless of the brand), unless you go with the LTX AT2s. However those are really just a street tire with marginal off-road capability... but they'll last 60-90k.

Nittos have always been a smooth riding A/T but the tread life used to be terrible. Their new warranty indicates they're confident in the new version and the longevity of the tire.

Toyos are very meh, to me. I personally don't like the way the ride and wear. I think they look good as an A/T but that's about it.

Those Yokos are interesting but not sure I would jump on them until I heard some actual feedback. They generally make a good tire.
ccard257
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Just got some Cooper A/T3's for my Fx4 f350. They are super quiet on the highway and just got me through some gnarly mud. Unsure of how they hold up against rocks.

Another vote for these. Mine have 85k currently. I could probably squeeze 5-10 more but will replace with more of the same for fall.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I would focus on your dominant use first (e.g. highway) and get a good secondary use tire - for me that was the Michelins
Great advice. The reason I didn't have all terrains on my 150 is I don't really like the look of them on 150's and 98% of the time I'm driving on the highway. I do like the way they look on the bigger fords and I've almost gotten stuck a few times at my deer lease so that's why I'm looking to get these. So Michelins are better for highway and also provide some traction for the off road when needed?
TxAg20
AG
I bought some new BFG AT KO2s size 285/75R17 and they took about 1# each to balance on Toyota TRD forged aluminum wheels. The previous tires didn't take near as much weight to balance on the same wheels, so I think it's a tire issue. I was also looking at the Cooper ST Maxx and wish I would have gone with those instead.
ConstructionAg01
AG
Cooper Discoverer ATP have been really good for me. Quieter on the road than they look and have bailed me out in mud and beach sand.
agcrock2005
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

Cooper Discoverer ATP have been really good for me. Quieter on the road than they look and have bailed me out in mud and beach sand.
Awesome. Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
schmellba99
AG
I had 4 or 5 sets of Goodyear Wrangler AT's on my F250 - always had great wear, better than average off road traction and they weren't noisy. Only negative was that they felt a little spongy when they were new, but that was temporary - or I got used to it, one or the other.

Last set was Cooper AT's, they were really good tires, balanced well, wore well, relatively low road noise and above average off road capabilities for an all terrain tire. I went with them over Goodyear because they were cheaper, Discount had a rebate on them and they were in stock. I'd buy them again without any issues.

I would run far and fast from anything Nitto - I've had 2 sets over the years on various vehicles and they have to be made from the same rubber they use for erasers on No. 2 pencils - garbage mileage out of them and every one of them had cupping and uneven wear far too early. I was never able to get them balanced well either outside of the initial balance when I bought them. One set was AT's, last set was the Terra Grapplers. Junk, junk and more junk.

I had 1 set of Toyo AT's - meh. Nothing special, nothing horrible. A little disappointed in wear and mileage, which is why I haven't gone back to them.

BFG's are always a good choice IMO, but they do get chewed up on caliche or rocky roads more than possibly some others as mentioned. But ride and mileage are great with them and they are pretty capable offroad in the AT realm.
txags92
AG
I had BFGs and Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs on my Tacoma and neither worked out well. I loved both when they were first put on, and both were terrific off-road tires. The BFGs would never balance quite properly on the wheels I had (stock Toyota) despite multiple attempts and replacing several of the tires, and quickly started getting uneven wear and a very rough ride on the road. The Goodyears were awesome for the first year, but the more they wore down, the louder they got. By about 35k, I could not hold a conversation in the truck when driving at highway speeds and my wife knew I was home when I made the turn at the end of the street. I am on Coopers now and have been happy with them so far.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What was the previous tire before the BFG? Anytime you switch from a factory street tire to a more aggressive tread, you can almost guarantee additional weight to balance the tire. The tread is more aggressive, making the tire heavier... it also depends on how they balanced the tire. Do they ride fine?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sounds like a typical Goodyear experience... they're not very good tires because of their ride quality, in my opinion.
BCStalk
I have Hancook Dynapro AT on my F150 that have been pretty good tires. I do more highway driving and they have held up well at 12k miles.
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

What was the previous tire before the BFG? Anytime you switch from a factory street tire to a more aggressive tread, you can almost guarantee additional weight to balance the tire. The tread is more aggressive, making the tire heavier... it also depends on how they balanced the tire. Do they ride fine?
The previous tires were whatever came stock on a 1999 Tacoma OffRoad. Maybe Bridgestones of some sort (Dueller maybe?). They were not a pure street tire, but were slightly less aggressive than the BFGs. I got the BFGs at Sam's and their guys tried multiple tires, multiple different times to get them properly balanced and couldn't. I took it to the dealer and asked them to figure it out and they couldn't get them to balance either. Said they couldn't put enough weight on it to make it balance. The fact that the next set of tires on the same rims balanced just fine says it was not the wheels. I think the BFGs didn't have good quality control or were just being manufactured wrong at the time. They would ride ok...but there was always a bit of wobble in the steering that told me one or more was off. The goodyear duratracs I put on next balanced just fine, rode well, and wore evenly, but they were just so damn noisy. It sounded like I was riding on 35" mud tires going down I-10 and I had to turn the stereo way up just to be able to hear it over them.
SWCBonfire
AG
tamc93 said:

I run Michelin AT on mine and have not had any issues (and I have "tried to get stuck) on job sites, farm, or general use.

Ranch use - long time michelin fanboy here. Even in agricultural use, a primary mode of transport will be on roads from place to place. Also, a tire's ability to clean out effectively is often more important than how aggressive the tread blocks look. That said, I don't live in east Texas, but I drive through a fair amount of wet riverbottoms/sloughs on a regular basis. I had a set of BFG's on a used truck that I didn't care for, and replaced with LTX-AT2's. They are superior in all respects IMO.

Michelin's rubber compounds are superior to all others for longevity. Add on top of that their superior understanding of heat management and dissipation, and you've got a tire that likely won't be replaced for a long, long time.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I wasn't insinuating it was the wheels. More than likely the people trying to balance them and/or the tires. I've balanced just about everything and size you can imagine, so am pretty familiar with the process.

Last buddy I talked to that manages a store said they had some issues with the Gen 1 KO2s but only mentioned the tread wear issue and not a ride quality one. It was likely both and the reason for the quiet release of 2.0.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

Michelin's rubber compounds are superior to all others for longevity. Add on top of that their superior understanding of heat management and dissipation, and you've got a tire that likely won't be replaced for a long, long time.
Max06
AG
Michelin LTX AT/2 are my gold standard, but probably the least aggressive all-terrain tire. I put a set of Goodyear UltraTerrain on my '07 truck and have been super impressed with how quiet they are while being pretty darn aggressive. I've had them on for 5000 miles so far and no complaints.

GY Ultra Terrain:

'19 just got a set of Michelin LTX AT/2 yesterday.
SMM48
AG
Michelin
docb
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I am on my second set of BFGs AT KO2s on my half ton and they're phenomenal. Had Mud Terrains on my old truck before then.

On the half ton, I got an easy 61K out of mine (rotated and balanced every 6k). Apparently the previous tread compound lead to some premature wear on the heavy duty trucks but they have since modified the compound and fixed that issued. It didn't change the ride quality on my truck and I'm running E tires.

That's what Discount tire told me so I went with the new ones and they were worse than the first set. I couldn't get 20k out of one of those tires and yes I did rotate them. I do haul a lot with my truck. It's a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. I went with Goodyear Wranglers this go round and I can tell they are wearing much better.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.