Outdoors
Sponsored by

ISO: Recommendations for all-terrain tires for f-250

8,174 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jswags
TxAg20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Previous tire was BFG A/T, not the KO2.
docb
AG
Both of my sets said K02? Maybe bad information from Discount Tire. Regardless they didn't hold up at all. I wouldn't be able to recommend them at least for a larger truck. Not bashing them. Just trying to pass along useful information.
agcrock2005
AG
Thank you all for the information. Very helpful. Seems like the clear favorites for lots of highway driving and very little off roading would be the Michelin or Cooper tires. Again, I appreciate all of the insight into a subject I know nothing about!
MouthBQ98
AG
Falken Wildpeak aT3 or Hankook Dynapro ATM are both pretty solid AT tires, if they come in the size and load range you want.

NO AT tire is going to handle mud like a true mud tire. The blocks and gaps aren't big enough to throw out thick mud, and they'll slick out on you much faster than an MT, but we are talking serious mud.
goatchze
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sounds like a typical Goodyear experience... they're not very good tires because of their ride quality, in my opinion.
I am about done with my first set on a 3/4 ton Ram. Will not do it again.

25,000 miles and I'm already needing to replace them. My in-laws have a ranch in the hill country that I drive on maybe four or five weekends a year. That's all it took apparently. You can see where the tread is just shredded and flaking off rather than wearing. Two tires are already down to 3 or 4 32nds.

I got 47,000 out of the stock Michelins that came on the truck with the same driving habits.

May try the Cooper's next.
WP69
AG
Falken A/T3 is $100/tire cheaper than the BFGs that came on the truck. I just put on a set of 35x12.5R20s. Local tire shop does a lot of lifts and the Falken is a good seller for them. Lots of lifted trucks in GA. Too early to recommend, but we'll see.
txags92
AG
If the OP is driving 30k per year and more highway than off-road, I don't think something as aggressive as the Falkens are really the best choice. But who knows...
tamc93
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

I would focus on your dominant use first (e.g. highway) and get a good secondary use tire - for me that was the Michelins
Great advice. The reason I didn't have all terrains on my 150 is I don't really like the look of them on 150's and 98% of the time I'm driving on the highway. I do like the way they look on the bigger fords and I've almost gotten stuck a few times at my deer lease so that's why I'm looking to get these. So Michelins are better for highway and also provide some traction for the off road when needed?
IMO yes. I have used them on most of my cars - especially after getting 70K plus on my old F150. F250 - they are not technically rated and to be honest I do not have an accurate mileage since I get the majority of them replaced by discount tire for road hazard warranty (nails, etc).
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Agz96
AG
Take a look at Toyo Open Country RTS, it's more aggressive than your average AT without the road noise or wear of a MT. My last set had 80,000 miles on them when I replaced them on my F250. Cleaned out a lot better than the BFG's I had before and lasted longer. Many F250's come with 35" tires so you'll have a decent footprint.
Todd 02
AG
I ran three sets of Hankook Dynapro ATm on my '09 2500 Z71. Liked them well enough but the last set wore funny on the shoulders when on the front.

Went cheap this time with Kuhmo Road Venture A/T. Like them alright so far.

I don't do anything aggressive. 70/30 highway/dirt. Tow about 10% of the time.
PFG
AG
Quote:

Many F250's come with 35" tires

Zero f250s come with 35s.

But all the 2017+ can run 35s on 20s with zero rubbing at full lock.
BCStalk
I believe they come with factory 34" or 32" but no 35" that I know of.
C4D
AG
Get bfg ko2

Since the first set i purchased, i have ALWAYS regretted buying anything else.

Best all around tire bar none.

Dont buy cheap or according to how cool you think they look
gwdykes
BFG AT's, have had 7 sets, average about 60K per set. Good in the mud and on the street, just rotate and keep them properly inflated.
AnScAggie
AG
SWCBonfire said:

tamc93 said:

I run Michelin AT on mine and have not had any issues (and I have "tried to get stuck) on job sites, farm, or general use.

I would focus on your dominant use first (e.g. highway) and get a good secondary use tire - for me that was the Michelins

Ranch use - long time michelin fanboy here. Even in agricultural use, a primary mode of transport will be on roads from place to place. Also, a tire's ability to clean out effectively is often more important than how aggressive the tread blocks look. That said, I don't live in east Texas, but I drive through a fair amount of wet riverbottoms/sloughs on a regular basis. I had a set of BFG's on a used truck that I didn't care for, and replaced with LTX-AT2's. They are superior in all respects IMO.

Michelin's rubber compounds are superior to all others for longevity. Add on top of that their superior understanding of heat management and dissipation, and you've got a tire that likely won't be replaced for a long, long time.

Both of these guys are right. I got 70,000+ out of my set that came on my F-250. Two to four times per month I'm at my ranch and it's a mile from the gate off the county road or nearly two from the highway to the main compound on rock, gravel and mud when it rains. I'll never run anything but Michelin LTX-AT2's.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Aggie_3
C@LAg said:

Aggie_3 said:

BFGs are junk!

Go with Yokohama's

Yoko Ono's are junk. Go with the BFGs.

Yokohama's don't fall apart when you take them off pavement like the BFGs do
Chetos
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I wasn't insinuating it was the wheels. More than likely the people trying to balance them and/or the tires. I've balanced just about everything and size you can imagine, so am pretty familiar with the process.

Wait... does "TTH" stand for the Texas Tire Hustler?
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Separate yet related question...is there a market for the stock Michelin tires that will have about 1,000 miles on them by time I put new ones on? Would rather not store them.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes, post the size and model on here and classifieds. A lot of people stick with OEM tires and you can probably get about 50-60% of the value for them, maybe more.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Go away, troll!
agcrock2005
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yes, post the size and model on here and classifieds. A lot of people stick with OEM tires and you can probably get about 50-60% of the value for them, maybe more.
Awesome. Thank you.
Max06
AG
Discount Tire will usually give you $30/tire for them. Less than if you sold them yourself, but also a lot less hassle.
zooguy96
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Separate yet related question...is there a market for the stock Michelin tires that will have about 1,000 miles on them by time I put new ones on? Would rather not store them.

Yes, always a market.

I just put new Michelin LTX M/S on my Taco and sold my old tires (same exact tires that had maybe 5k left on the tread) for $200 on FB Marketplace. I sold the old tires on my G-35 for $300. If there's any tread left on em, I sell em and don't have to pay Discount to get rid of the tires.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I have been running Toyo RT on my 2fiddy. Great wear on the tread and have worked great at the ranch and on pavement.
reddog90
AG
tamc93 said:

I run Michelin AT on mine and have not had any issues (and I have "tried to get stuck) on job sites, farm, or general use.

This X100
yakin ag
AG
I've put over 350,000 miles on BFG KOs on my last few trucks and have always loved them. The last set I had, on a ram 2500, wore out in 20,000 miles. I rotated and maintained as suggested at discount. When I had to replace them, the staff told me that BFG had been having issues with heavy duty trucks wearing them out, that they had changed the compound to improve tread life, and that they now come with a mileage warranty. They also said that BFG and Michelin tires were made by the same company and used similar (same) compounds now.
I live down a half mile long gravel driveway, carry hundreds of pounds of tools in the bed most of the time, and tow periodically. If I don't get 40,000+ out of this pair, I suppose I'll try coopers.
tamc91
AG
I went with Cooper AT3s and have a mixed review. First, they are excellent in mud and sand, which is mainly why I bought them (i.e., so the landowner doesn't have to come pull his duck hunters out of the mud). They were also pretty good in the snow when we went skiing last year.

However, while they started off quiet, it seems they require frequent rotation or they produce a loud hum at highway speed. Also, they are much more prone to hydroplaning and skidding / loss of traction compared to my old Michelin stock all purpose tires I replaced.

Wondering if other Cooper users have the same issues.
Tim Weaver
I'm gonna throw out Atturo tires. Didn't know much about them, but took a chance and I really like them. Way cheaper than just about any other manufacturer but great quality.

If you don't know, google it. Atturo is an American run company but the tires are produced overseas. All the stadium supertrucks are running Atturo right now. The guy that started the company has been in the tire business a long time.

I recently bought a set of Trailblade AT's and couldn't be happier with the road performance. Even though they are a little more highway than offroad, they still look aggressive.

I used to be michelin only. Now I just can't stomach the high cost of tires that will be eaten by a big heavy truck no matter what you do. I can buy 2.5 sets of Atturo's for each set of Michelins....
jswags
AG
Old bump but do you still like the Atturos?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.