Outdoors
Sponsored by

Buying a UTV

7,690 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rangelady
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonLakeAg said:

The older rangers are excellent as well as their four wheelers. No idea what has happened to Polaris but they've gone down hill since the early 2000s.

2004 700 EFI four wheeler - runs great and way too much power
2004 500 Ranger - runs like a freaking champ

I really think the thing that has changed is the amount of market saturation Polaris gained while they offered the ranger and it was the best option for years (I still think it probably is). Over time, when you have 70% of UTV owners with a Polaris Ranger (WAG), you're going to hear about more and more problems. Especially with all the idiots that don't maintain their stuff and drive their ranger through ponds all duck season.

The other thing is being with guys who smoke belts all day long by refusing to use Low... it is there for a reason.

The Yamaha Rhinos used to suck and were terrible if you didn't run them frequently... I'm still not a fan.
tamc93
AG
Have both a Mule and Polaris... bought the Mule first for the extra seat and then the Polaris as part of a "package:.

Both have their benefits to me - mule capacity, but slower. Polaris is mainly a spray rig and/or when we have more people.

If I started over, I would look at a diesel Kubota for the power/capacity.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
ironmanag
AG
Thanks all. I was looking at polaris but after this thread will rethink that.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
CenterHillAg
AG
Im looking to buy as well and leaning towards a Can Am, I'm a fan of Rotax engines, but will look at Mule's too before I buy anything. Has anybody found a dealer that is cheaper than others? Just browsing online they all seem to advertise the same price.
schmellba99
AG
CenterHillAg said:

Im looking to buy as well and leaning towards a Can Am, I'm a fan of Rotax engines, but will look at Mule's too before I buy anything. Has anybody found a dealer that is cheaper than others? Just browsing online they all seem to advertise the same price.
I bought mine at Mainland Cycle Center in La Marque - best price out of everybody in the Houston area.
Agmechanic
AG
I own a land surveying company. All we run are polaris'. Have a 2013 sportsman 400, a 2018 sportsman 570 EPS, and a 2009 Ranger 500. All of them run like champs. We use them all the time. Polaris is the only way we go
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
ironmanag
AG
schmellba99 said:

CenterHillAg said:

I bought mine at Mainland Cycle Center in La Marque - best price out of everybody in the Houston area.

This was great advice we are heading there soon
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Newoldarmy
AG
I've had three Ranger 500 4x4's of three generations now and they've all been great. I haven't replaced the 2009 yet, but that's coming soon. Those early ones with the solid rear axle were the best for moving loads. The independent suspension is more comfortable, but not as heavy duty.

I also own a Canam Defender HD 10 in a tropical environment and though it takes a lot of maintenance, it's a great vehicle. That sand and salt every day is just hard on equipment.

I've also had Polaris in a 90, 700, 335 (I think), and I now have a 2013 400 Sportsman. All good ATVs.

I'm about to get a 570. So, my experience with Polaris and Canam has been good. I haven't driven a Mule in years. They used to be so slow compared to a Ranger in the early models, but that's all changed now. I've always wanted one with the steel bed. Never liked that plastic bed.
Agmechanic
AG
The sportsman 570s are amazingly good. Get eps too if you can swing it
Agmechanic
AG
I think we have had such good luck with polaris because we USE them. Several times a week, all year long. That, and if they get muddy they get washed, if they go through water they get greased. And when they run its all day long.

Imo polaris gets a bad rap because people drive them through all kinds of crap and then park them for a month. You cant do that. Also, polaris will sell you a 900 (or bigger). So if you want to do real dumb **** with it you can. Just dont gripe cause it broke. Higher HP anythings (cars, trucks, bulldozers) are more prone to break. So if you are just going to bebop around the lease or ranch, dont get an 800. Hell the 570 that we have now is bigger than we need. The old carbureted sportsman 400 gets our crews anywhere they need to go.
ChevyAg
AG
I've got a 2013 Polaris Ranger 800 crew I am looking to sell. It's right at that price range. Let me know if you are interested.
Maedan86
AG
I have a 2010 Polaris Ranger 800 for sale. Link attached. Been a great machine for me. I've been on the same lease for 46 years and I'm hangin it up. I'm partial to Polaris, but it's all I've ever had and mine was good for me. https://collegestation.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=polaris+ranger+800. Hope it's OK I added link here. I don't post much, but sure enjoy outdoor thread.
Maedan86
schmellba99
AG
ironmanag said:

schmellba99 said:

CenterHillAg said:

This was great advice we are heading there soon
Albert Crow is a good guy - he'll shoot you straight.
CanyonAg77
AG
You can use ethanol gas if you're smart about it. The higher your humidity, and the longer any rig sits between uses, the more you need ethanol free. In a drier climate, or something that is used weekly, don't worry about it.

To make certain, always shut off the gas and run until it dies, meaning there is no gas in the carb. And use Sta-Bil. every time.
rangelady
AG
SunrayAg said:

Kawasaki
Honda

CanAm
Yamaha
John Deere

Totally the opposite. Have used Gators, Razors, kubotas, Mules. On my second Ranger and love them......

Polaris

Kawasaki is the only brand I have bought twice.

Polaris is the only brand I will never buy again.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.