Outdoors
Sponsored by

Buying a UTV

7,657 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rangelady
ironmanag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the wifey has ok'd 8k for a lease utv. Would like a sidexside. Probably gonna have to be used. Looking for OB wisdom.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
BCStalk
What would be your general use? We have a Kubota RTV900 (not our personal one) at the lease for a workhorse. It's been pretty great having out there for feeders.
jtp01
AG
I just bought a 2009 ranger crew with 149 hours on it. It was clean as could be and was in fantastic shape. I paid $6,800 cash. It belonged to a older lady who used it to take her grandkids around on their 15 acre place. Her husband had a razor and was doing what men do (hauling hind parts around under trees in his razor then took the Ranger for a ride and cracked the roof panel on a tree limb. It seems the wife was not happy with him so he sold it to me and went to buy her a brand new one.

We have in just a few weeks put 15 hours on it checking cattle and various other tasks/chores and it has been a lifesaver with all of the rain we have had lately.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Do NOT buy from a duck hunter
jeremy360
I picked up a Honda pioneer for 8k out the door. Seems to be just as solid as the Honda fourwheeler. We put a platform and some removable boat seat pedestals in the back. We like it a whole lot.
agfan2013
AG
Another vote for Kubtoa. Dad got an RTV-something (400 I think), for his place several years ago and it's been a good one so far. Few hundred hours on it and no major problems. We don't run it especially hard, but it does get used for work: hauling fencing supplies around, pull tangled barbwire out of trees/bushes, and I did use it awhile to move my 1500 pound bbq pit trailer around. Was cheaper than the JD gator and some other ATVs he looked at.
Wodanaz
AG
Do your best to find/run ethanol free gas.
FSGuide
I'm also in the market for one. I found a dealership in Plano that has a couple 2019 Kawasaki SX XC 4x4 mule on sale for $7,899 each
dr_boogs
AG
FSGuide said:

I'm also in the market for one. I found a dealership in Plano that has a couple 2019 Kawasaki SX XC 4x4 mule on sale for $7,899 each

Dad bought a 4 seater Kawasaki mule 4x4 last year. Really impressed so far. We are in rough terrain - rocks, mesquite, and mud. I'd recommend taking a look at the mules.

Probably more important than brand is how close you are to a service center.
GSS
Fuel-injected engines (found in most UTV's for 10+ yrs) should seldom have an issue with running pump gas. Have had zero problems in our two Rangers, nor have I heard from anyone else blaming ethanol for engine issues (and I'm no fan of ethanol in basic carburetor-equipped engines).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
MrWonderful
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

What's wrong with you? Like your stuff to run more than a week without breaking??

In all seriousness though, the bigger the tires and bigger the lift...faster it breaks.
Deerdude
Stay away from the Polaris 2012 gas Rangers. First year of production in US after moving from Canada. Wiring harness was inferior somehow, and kept tripping TBS. Traded mine back for a Diesel and never looked back.
I thought it was ethanol gas, but finally found out from a mechanic tat they should have recalled it but never did.
AgNColorado
Avoid the 2010 rangers. By far the worst purchase I've made. If you can get it to run properly then you'll have overheating issues. Mine came preset from the factory with the TPS set incorrectly so it ran rich and would overheat after minutes. After I finally figured that out myself (dealer had no clue) it ran much better but it still will leave you stranded from overheating but less often.

Between overheating and the myriad of other problems I'd almost say it isn't safe for anyone else to drive unless you know all the quirks to it. I started it up one morning this last December and the damn throttle was stuck wide open and it ran into the side of the barn.

I for one will never own a Polaris product again.

Edit to add that I very rarely buy new and keep and repair everything until the wheels fall off but that ranger may get itself out out to pasture.
fightingfarmer09
Don't sleep on a JD Gator. If you want a workhorse, they have multiple options in that price range.
Justified
I just went through this dilemma, find a shop that sells a few used machines, that way you're able to ride around and figure out which one suites you.
Make sure you have cash and can jump on a deal when you see it. They do fast. I just recently bought a 2015 ranger with 300 hours from Shreveport, farther than what I was shopping for, but couldn't past up the deal. First choice for me was the ranger. Second was the Kawasaki mule pro FXT. The pro FXT series hasn't been out as long as the ranger so a low hours machine could be hard to find.
SunrayAg
AG
Kawasaki
Honda

CanAm
Yamaha
John Deere

Polaris

Kawasaki is the only brand I have bought twice.

Polaris is the only brand I will never buy again.
JB
AG
$8k will buy you a Jeep or a myriad of other 4x4 vehicles with heat and A/C.
Jack Squat 83
AG
It's in no way sexy, but IMO the Kubota 1140 is dependable and pretty dang stout for pulling and carrying loads.
EskimoJoe
Jack Squat 83 said:

It's in no way sexy, but IMO the Kubota 1140 is dependable and pretty dang stout for pulling and carrying loads.

yep, and not belt driven.
Wodanaz
AG
That's good for you. Our family owned dealership's service department sees a lot of issues related to the breakdown of ethanol in even non carbed motors. It's the simplest advice one can offer another in regards to how to prolong the life of their atv/utv. The Mule's are the greatest effected, but once folks make the switch, the rough idles & general performance issues tend to dissipate. I'm glad corn gas is working well for some, as it's easier & cheaper to get, but it also gets us a lot of business, so charge on good soldier!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
MrWonderful said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

What's wrong with you? Like your stuff to run more than a week without breaking??

In all seriousness though, the bigger the tires and bigger the lift...faster it breaks.

As a duck hunter (even though i am still relatively new to it), this is funny
CowtownAg06
AG
Bought a 2014 Ranger a year ago right at your budget. Other than a self inflicted issue it's been great. The service center location is a real thing. Right now I found a mechanic that's pretty good but when something major happens it will be a hike.
JB
AG
VoreMoar12 said:

That's good for you. Our family owned dealership's service department sees a lot of issues related to the breakdown of ethanol in even non carbed motors. It's the simplest advice one can offer another in regards to how to prolong the life of their atv/utv. The Mule's are the greatest effected, but once folks make the switch, the rough idles & general performance issues tend to dissipate. I'm glad corn gas is working well for some, as it's easier & cheaper to get, but it also gets us a lot of business, so charge on good soldier!
I have a 2016 Mule for work. It has NEVER run right. Idles poorly and performance sucks. Its got to be fuel related like you're saying I'm sure. It's been in the shop several times and they never seem to get it to work right.
coolerguy12
AG
My neighbor is trying to sell his Honda Pioneer 700-4. I think it's a 2014. He moved to Houston from Utah a couple years ago and hardly ever gets it out. It's low hours and very clean. I think he is looking for $10K if anyone is interested.
schmellba99
AG
SunrayAg said:

Kawasaki
Honda

CanAm
Yamaha
John Deere

Polaris

Kawasaki is the only brand I have bought twice.

Polaris is the only brand I will never buy again.
This is pretty much the ranking when I did a bunch of research when I bought mine (minor changes toward the bottom, but polaris still stays in last place). I ended up with a Mule PRO FXT, don't regret my decision one bit.

Not a fan of the Kubota's - and I'm a Kubota guy on most everything else. Big, heavy, slow and not really designed for things outside of farm use. They do have a newer model that is more sporty, but I don't know much about it and won't speak good or bad on it.

Everybody I know with a Polaris except Hoyt on this board has had issues - whether it is electrical issues when a non-sealed part of the engine gets wet or issues with premature rusting. And Polaris doesn't have much of a warranty - that tells me a lot, and frankly was one of the big reasons why I ended up with Kawasaki. 3 year factory warranty, and they stand by it - I just had to have my ECU replaced due to a weird glitch in the programming. Complete fluke, but they didn't bat an eye when my dealer sent in the request for warranty replacement. Zero out of pocket for me out the door.

I also really like the doors on my mule - it is amazing how much cleaner you stay in the cab when you have even half doors to keep mud and water out. The ability to configure from a 3 seater to a 6 seater without changing the wheel base is also really great, and it can be done in about 1 minute. A real engine also is nice - Kawasaki uses a Cherry (chinese manufacture, about 10 million of them in circulation) 3 cylinder fuel injected engine. Way smoother and quieter than the 2 cylinder jobs Polaris and the others use.

Cons are that I had to have a lift installed right off the bat just to get some decent ground clearance - Kawasaki missed the mark on that IMO. The air intake is also way too low, but even as low as it is and the muck and water I've had to drive through on occasion, no issues. Would bet future designs have a higher intake.

schmellba99
AG
JB said:

And a jeep and those other vehicles simply will not go where a SxS will go, and they do a lot more damage tot he ground than a SxS does. I was well into the jeep camp but now have changed my tune.

Of course, it all depends on where you go and what your true purpose is.
schmellba99
AG
JB said:

VoreMoar12 said:

I have a 2016 Mule for work. It has NEVER run right. Idles poorly and performance sucks. Its got to be fuel related like you're saying I'm sure. It's been in the shop several times and they never seem to get it to work right.
Luckily a station not too terribly far from me stocks ethanol free gas. Amazing the difference between it and ethanol fuel, especially if it has sat for a while. I still use Seafoam additive, but the ethanol free is simply better stuff.
labman
I bought a 2011 Kawasaki 4X4 2 seater with a lot of miles and had been used hard. However the engine was solid. Bought it for $4000. Replaced everything on the brakes except the drums. Put in new u joints and a few other things. Spent another $1000 and it works great. Use it strictly for the hunting lease. I was working on a strict budget and this fit my needs perfectly. Don't be afraid to buy used.
SabineAg
AG
For the record, I have a Polaris at the ranch that is the definition of rode hard put up wet and it has never had an issue. (except for the time one guy shot a hole in the roof and another guy tumped it over, also been through about 30 sets of tires... but thats neither here nor there)
schmellba99
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

For the record, I have a Polaris at the ranch that is the definition of rode hard put up wet and it has never had an issue. (except for the time one guy shot a hole in the roof and another guy tumped it over, also been through about 30 sets of tires... but thats neither here nor there)
I'm sure there are many of them. Also plenty that don't like the Mule or have had problems too. Not my experience personally though, and I made sure to state as much.

In the end, they all have pros and cons. Depends on what you want to do or plan to do with it and no matter the brand - how well you take care of it. They all require maintenance.
BCStalk
schmellba99 said:

JB said:

And a jeep and those other vehicles simply will not go where a SxS will go, and they do a lot more damage tot he ground than a SxS does. I was well into the jeep camp but now have changed my tune.

Of course, it all depends on where you go and what your true purpose is.

We have a Geo Tracker that's actually not to bad and gets places I would not expect but a side by side definitely is more stable.
ElAmericano
Just put 200 hours on a Can Am HD8. Hadn't had any mechanical or body issues and the interior is very nice. Stock nubby tires suck though, I live on slime and a bicycle pump. Rotax Engine/Trans is a beast, great at handing loads. Stock lift is plenty for me.
SockDePot
I've posted this before, but the diesel kubotas are nearly indestructible.

As said before, not sexy at all, but like a tank.

Over the past 10 years on various job sites, work leases, and personal leases, rented, driven, and been around all the brands. Kubota is the most reliable.

For clients at the lease, we have a Polaris, everything else work or lease, it's kubota.
WestTexasAg
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Still have our 2005 Polaris Ranger. Pretty damn dependable.
AgNColorado
The older rangers are excellent as well as their four wheelers. No idea what has happened to Polaris but they've gone down hill since the early 2000s.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.