Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake Dunlap spill gate failure

27,873 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ragoo
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://seguingazette.com/alert/article_0c55ee8c-7671-11e9-821f-af0dad2e52ba.html

whole lake to drain.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Thats crazy. So does that mean it will "drain" down to a certain point? Like normal Guad flow?

I'm thinking there'd be some interesting things to find in that mud that probably hasn't been exposed in a long, long time. How is this going to affect the fishing?
Furlock Bones
AG
PrimeTime09 said:

Thats crazy. So does that mean it will "drain" down to a certain point? Like normal Guad flow?

I'm thinking there'd be some interesting things to find in that mud that probably hasn't been exposed in a long, long time. How is this going to affect the fishing?
that's what i assume.
ought1ag
AG
its like shooting fish in a barrel

Hope they get it fixed and back to normal sooner than later though.
John Cocktolstoy
Time to get dock work done as soon as you can!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Any idea on how that much freshwater going into San Antonio Bay would affect fishing this weekend?
John Cocktolstoy
That water will take week or so to get there.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo
AG
Dad just sent me an email from their neighborhood association. Time to treasure hunt the river bottom. Would be awesome to see where buses settle from the 1998 flood.
Newoldarmy
AG
Down for at least 18 months. $12 million repair for GBRA.
Ragoo
AG
Newoldarmy said:

Down for at least 18 months. $12 million repair for GBRA.
wjere are you seeing this. Army corps really needs to reopen day use parks now. See canyon lake.
DallasAggies01
AG
I'm sure some of my MILs stuff and wife's stuff will be down there. The MIL had 12 feet of water in her house in 98.
TXAG 05
AG
We've had the water level down on McQueeney since they have been working on our dam for a while. I know Lake Wood has been dry for years waiting on their dam to get fixed.
rock08
AG
Sending my brother to go find all our old crankbaits!
Ragoo
AG
McQueeney is still navigable though.

I was planning on pulling the boat to my parents for memorial weekend.
Newoldarmy
AG
Talked to a GBRA board member today and those are the current estimates.

Not sure what you mean about the corps.

Edits: replied to wrong poster. Sorry.
Ragoo
AG
Newoldarmy said:

Talked to a GBRA board member today and those are the current estimates.

Not sure what you mean about the corps.

Edits: replied to wrong poster. Sorry.
the army corps of engineers has closed their parks for day use.
rootube
AG
Your lake "dun-laped" over the dam.
Newoldarmy
AG
Related to the Dunlap deal?
SWCBonfire
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Any idea on how that much freshwater going into San Antonio Bay would affect fishing this weekend?

A hell of a lot less than what's been coming down the San Marcos the past week. This is going to flatten out and moderate significantly. They originally said 11,000 cfs, it peaked at 6600 cfs just east of Seguin. Around 5,000 is bank full in Belmont. Will get in the lower sloughs.
TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo said:

Maybe now. But if it goes back to the levels it was, it was too low to get the boat off the cradle.
Ragoo
AG
Newoldarmy said:

Related to the Dunlap deal?
no but canyon is the alternative lake in the area and it is an army corps lake. That was my personal frustration tangent.
Ragoo
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Ragoo said:

Maybe now. But if it goes back to the levels it was, it was too low to get the boat off the cradle.
ah. I saw Amanda S post an IG story from Ski Breeze week before last.
TXAG 05
AG
If you stay in the river channel, and you have enough slack in your lift cable to get the boat in the water, you should be fine. There are just so many spots where we drag some mud at the normal levels that I wouldn't even attempt it at the current level before this.

Puts a dent in the summer fun, butI can drink beer in the yard just as well as in the boat.
GSlice06
AG
I can go get my guns now.
SLF11
AG
My parents had to cut our boat out from under the boathouse roof at the Bandit marina at about 9:30 am this morning... You can see it in the HZ article from this evening.

McQueeney is a ton of fun, but it seems like some sort of flooding event happens every other year. And where was that emergency siren they test every Saturday at noon?

My complaining aside, this is going to suck for those on Dunlap because the GBRA won't have answers.
txaggie02
AG
Dam, that sucks.
TXAG 05
AG
The siren sounds when the flow rate gets to a certain point. I was checking the webcams on the FOLM website and the water didn't even come up that much. The Bandit area got hit due to being right next to the dam and that little marina is down in a pit. There just isn't anywhere for the water to go.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
There are enough million dollar homes and large campaign contributors along the lake for funding to be miraculously found so this should be fixed in a hurry. Buffy wants to go to the lake to wakeboard not catch crawfish.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm not sure why the public doesn't raise more questions about this policy?
SquirrellyDan
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I was wondering the same thing; I never knew it was an issue. Hopefully now it will get addressed. Something makes me think all the owners of some of the super nice houses that recently popped up on Lake Dunlap will suddenly be involved.
MouthBQ98
AG
Best I could find online is it is at the discretion of the regional commanding officer. Could be a budget matter or maybe an environmental impact policy gone overboard. Day users are by far the biggest mess makers, but virtually ALL of the parks have extensive day use facilities that are sitting idle.
Ragoo
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

i grew up going to cranes mill park. We would not all day and then cook hot dogs and hangout as the sun was going down. Then stop at DQ for a Dilly Bar. Went last year with my parents and they had to leave their vehicle outside the gate and get into the bed of my truck to ride to the boat launch with me. All the while perfectly good picnic sites sit unused.
mccjames
AG
GBRA is **** show, every conversation I have had they are pompous asses that think they are doing you a favor to allow you on their water.

Now we see how inept they are, they have known for decades they need to work on dam's and kept putting on band aids. Usually doing it in the peak of summer dropping the lake to unusable levels. They have the Wood dam failure 4 years ago as a huge wake up call. Instead they spend millions of dollars to build a new building and move from Seguin to New Braunfels.

Now they say they do not have the money to do the necessary repairs

Class action lawsuit anyone?

My land value on lake Dunlap has doubled in the last 4 years. I am going to protest the hell out out of it this year. Should be a significant drop in values due to this.
evestor1
I imagine the GCAD and CCAD were full of angry property owners today when they found out protesting Jan 1, 2019 taxes had nothing to do with May 14, 2019.

As someone who fights taxes on over 10 properties each year - Organize together next year and absolutely hammer these CADs. They deserve it in a big way. When you get the value lowered, make certain to maintain homestead, and then laugh for the next 7-10 years where they try to get back to your 2019 value.

Be objective - you have 12 months to find just the right comparable and just the right evidence of value loss. If they reject your solid evidence then request a formal and hire a lawyer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.