Outdoors
Sponsored by

Driveway Ramps for RV?

20,032 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
BoerneGator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

see my post just above yours - is that what you are talking about?
My suggestion is to attach plywood to both edges of the existing ramps with screws, and continue to do so until the desired width is achieved. Consider using small pieces of the plywood to serve as spacers/shims between "full" pieces of plywood, to add width with out using solid plywood.

Your diagram seem to add the plywood to the vertical thickness rather than the width, but I may be misinterpreting it.
GeeBee
AG
How about the rollers on the tail like others have suggested along with rear airbags that you can engage to lift the rear up extra high?

If it already has air suspension, modify it to be manually controlled front and rear. Drop the front, raise the rear.
AgTech88
AG
There is too much slope in too short a distance and too much rear overhang past the back tires. Even if the rollers kept me from ripping off waste water pipes etc. I would end up with the back tires dangling in mid air.......
BoerneGator
AG
You might also consider pouring permanent ramps with Sacrete to mimic your wooden ones. You might prefer using them with your car anyway, and they shouldn't interfere with the intended purpose/design of existing driveway. They could be a bit wider than the wooden ones, with sloping shoulders. That thought occurred to me while studying your initial photo. Worth considering...
AgTech88
AG
The problem is the drain at the end of the driveway - this is the main storm drain for the entire cul-de-sac and everything flows to it. Not sure how I could do anything permanent without the risk of restricting that flow and flooding the cul-de-sac. I am even worried about leaving the boards there overnight. If anything happened that got water in anyone's house, whether it had anything to do with the boards or not, everyone's insurance company would come after me. I am not happy having the drain there and a little uncomfortable with the responsibility/liability of keeping it clean etc. I make sure my yard crews do not blow grass clippings or other debris into it and if I catch the neighbors crews doing it I take pictures and chew their a$$.

The MUD District/utility company recently replaced the bottom section of my driveway, and the apron around the drain, while repairing a water main line. When they did that I begged them to do something to change the slope. I talked with their engineer and even offered to cover the cost of removing/replacing more of my driveway to decrease the slope. The engineer told me that the current elevations were specifically engineered for drainage and the area I wanted to change is in their setback/easement and I could not change it. Since they were repairing a water leak I didn't have time to argue with them or get my own contractor in there...... Looks like i am stuck with what I have which really isn't a problem for anything except the RV.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

The engineer told me that the current elevations were specifically engineered for drainage and the area I wanted to change is in their setback/easement and I could not change it.
Yet another reason why I shall never live in a place where others can dictate what takes place upon my own property. And those places are getting fewer and fewer and harder and harder to locate!
Hullabaque
AG
What about using some of the plastic stackable rv leveler blocks. I use them to put under my 6-pt leveling system on my rv. They are inexpensive, light weight, and you can probably stack them in a way that they will form to the slope around the storm drain.

Lynx Levelers on Amazon
AgTech88
AG
Bump for the weekend crowd. All of the Aggie "engineers" - I was hoping someone had a great simple solution I had overlooked.....
AgTech88
AG
Bump of an old post hoping someone new has an improve the idea! The wood ramps I was using have finally died and a new rig requires some different dimensions. Any help appreciated
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Sounds like you just need to build a new set out of 2x12 and get a hand truck
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.