Outdoors
Sponsored by

bamboo fly rod classes

2,375 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiebear69
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found myself looking at these while at the dentist office.

Has anyone done one of these? which one? what did you think?

The idea seems pretty cool but then also seems pretty terrible for the exact same reasons. Being stuck in a workshop for 8-10 hours a day for 5-10 days with a craftsman learning how to make a fishing pole out of a piece of grass and some worm vomit. For the low price of $1500-2500.

I mean if you get a great teacher it would be an amazing experience. if you get a cantankerous bastage it would be a nightmare.

rather be fishing
AG
This and the A&M BBQ camp are on my to-do list.
aggiebear69
AG
Starting a class on Monday morning ... will report in a week
Duncan Idaho
Awesome. Can you share which one?
aggiebear69
AG
Harry Boyd in Winnsboro, La.
Duncan Idaho
is he the one with the multiple options for how many days and how far you get along?

Really looking forward to hearing about your class.

The more I look into this the more serious I get about doing it.

87Flyfisher
AG
Harry Boyd mentioned above offers a very good class and is a nice guy who I have known for many years.

Bill Oyster's class in North Georgia is in many people's opinion the best. Check out his website for the engraving alone. He also caught a Grand Slam here at El Pescador Belize last year, all on bamboo fly rods he built.

Oyster Bamboo
Hhilton82
AG
For the man that has everything indeed.
Duncan Idaho
Oyster was the first one I looked at.

There are quite a few of them out there. Several are 1 or 2 person classes. Some you come out with a fully finished 2 tipped rod that you designed the tapper on, others you come out with a partially finished single tip rod that you (or they) will finish.

One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I'm curious. In these classes, are you provided with a bamboo blank, or are you actually making the blank from pieces of split bamboo? If provided with a blank, seems like it would be no different than making any fly rod - I actually refinished an old bamboo rod left to me by my grandfather a few years ago - stripped, refinished, new titanium guides. It was a lot of fun and turned out nice. I've made a number of rods with Sage blanks too. My favorite is my first, a Sage XP 590.
aggiebear69
AG
Harry Boyd starts you with a culm of bamboo and you split, planes, glues, install ferrules, qrips, guides, finish ... plus a few intermediate steps... ezpz in 6 days.

I'll let you know!
Duncan Idaho
From what I understand
Step one in all of these is deciding what kind of rod you want to build.

Step two is picking out a piece of raw bamboo.
Step 3-800 is Turing that piece of bamboo into 6 appropriately shaped strips of bamboo.
Steps 801-1000 are turning those 6 strips of bamboo into a blank and then into a rod.
Step 1001 is breaking the tip on a ceiling fan.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
That's pretty cool. Melissa and I are thinking of retiring in Blue Ridge when we finish our work in Zambia (in about 4 1/2 years). We'll be there in June to speak to the Presbyterian Church and I might stick my head in the shop. One of the church members was the president of the GA Trout Unlimited.
ratfacemcdougal
I hate you.....Blue Ridge is a beautiful town.
Duncan Idaho
aggiebear69 said:

Harry Boyd starts you with a culm of bamboo and you split, planes, glues, install ferrules, qrips, guides, finish ... plus a few intermediate steps... ezpz in 6 days.

I'll let you know!

Well we're waiting
aggiebear69
AG
Send me an email address. I'll send you a set of photos! I'll not fight TexAgs photo puzzle.
aggiebear69
AG
I'm aggiebear69@gmail.com
rather be fishing
AG
Post assist for aggiebear:

Quote:

This is a 6'6" two piece 5 weight rod. Only lawn cast so far with a WF 5 line in the icy morning in Winnsboro two weeks ago. I wanted to let the varnish dry for a couple of weeks and wait until it is not raining in College Station. I built two tips.

Harry Boyd is a superb teacher. His technique is easy even for an old fisherman like me. Can't recommend him highly enough.

The bamboo culm is what I started with, flamed and split. I got a little darker than I wanted but turned out pretty anyway. Splitting and flaming are not hard ... just technique. The strips are the ever smaller reductions before planing began! The reel seat is from a madrone tree in my front yard in Medina, Bandera County - off the Vanderpool highway.

LRHF
AG
Thanks for posting for Aggiebear. Super cool work, thanks for sharing. I may Have to try this myself one day!
aggiebear69
AG
Thank you for posting photos ... Id rather plane bamboo strips than mess with computers
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.