Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best Bay Boat

24,735 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tumble Weed
Duck Blind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, so I took my son on a blast and cast last weekend at POC and fell in love again with the salt life. He fell in love too... I used to fish the bays but haven't in many years. At some point in the future, I may buy a boat....after extensive consideration and homework of course. Smooth ride, proven, capable of blue water if needed but not too far out...

What do you recommend? Don't say the best boat is your friend's boat.

Thx!
Pedro Cerrano
AG
SCB 24' Recon, full power. Hands down.
Maverick06
AG
In. Page 1.
DallasAggies01
AG
Not that guy again said:

SCB 24' Recon, full power. Hands down.

Not sure I'd take a Recon out to blue water unless it was an absolute flat day.
RethinkTheWeekend
AG
I have been debating SDB 24' Recon vs. 24' Pathfinder for POC and Rockport areas. Have younger children so that has steered me towards the Pathfinder with its higher gunnels. Had a 22' Pathfinder in the past and loved it. SCB with better hole shot and will go shallower (Pathfinder drafts at 11").
JeremiahJohnson
AG
The best bay boat is your neighbors. Get to go every time and not have to Break Out Another Thousand.

Just kidding. Depends on how much you want to spend.... I am a big fan of Haynie, Yellowfin, Pathfinder. I currently have a Triton 22 ft. center console, and it gets the job done.

However, my next will be an aluminum tunnel hull. I know they aren't quiet or smooth, but I wade fish 90% of the time anyways and being able to get where no one else can is nice. Also don't have to worry about hitting fiberglass on the oyster reef and can easily run them up and down every river without being nervous.
schmellba99
AG
Maverick06 said:

In. Page 1.
Yep. Might as well ask what the best caliber is, what the best brand of truck is, whether blonds/brunettes/redheads are better or what the best rifle brand is.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
What is your budget?
MouthBQ98
AG
FWIW, I do all the same stuff in a tiny little 15.5' skiff.
Duck Blind
AG
Troutslime said:

What is your budget?

$50k ?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
In that range I would look at the 24' Blue Wave. The Pathfinder mentioned above is a great boat but you are probably looking at $70k for that boat.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I've got a 22' Pathfinder. Great boat! I bought it used though.
Post removed:
by user
JeremiahJohnson
AG
If I had $50k to burn right now, I would buy one of these. Most likely the Haynie

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-haynie%27s-boat-works-23-magnum-103453110/?refSource=standard%20listing

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-pathfinder-2200-trs-103418940/?refSource=standard%20listing

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2019-ranger-2260-bay-103412606/?refSource=standard%20listing
FIDO*98*
AG
opps, started typing the response before budget was posted
CS78
JACK DUKE said:

Smooth ride, proven, capable of blue water if needed but not too far out...
Blazer Bay 2200 or 2400 with a suzuki. Just don't expect them to be flats boats.
Duck Blind
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

JACK DUKE said:

Troutslime said:

What is your budget?

$50k ?

Humble brag

I'm getting older, nearing retirement and finally have a bit of fun money.
FIDO*98*
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

JACK DUKE said:

Troutslime said:

What is your budget?

$50k ?

Humble brag

Best boat is my neighbor's boat. He has a Gulf Coast Saber Cat. In fact, his boat is so bad ass I can rarely convince him to ride in my JH Outlaw 230x when we go fishing together

(That's how you humble brag)
Salt of the water
AG
Used dargel 25 Kat for what you want to do and where you want to do it. Don't know if you can get a new 23 for 50k.

If you want the most versatility for 50k (you mentioned cast and blast, bay, and offshore) here's what I'd do.

Spend 15k on a Tran baby cat or majek rfl 18. This will cover getting skinny in the bays and duck hunting winter low tides.
Then spend the other 35k on an offshore boat you could also use to fish rough bay days in. Something in the 23-25 range. I've seen restored older makos with a new 300 hp 4 stroke or twin 150s in the 30k range.
BQ_90
AG
borrowed one
Gunny456
AG
Go take a ride in a Skeeter on a bad rough day. Then take a fun trip to the factory in Kilgore and watch one being built and look at the things you cant see on the outside. They have been in business since 1948 and built in Texas. Best warranty in the business as well.
Duck Blind
AG
Many thanks to all! I knew when I asked the question it was along the lines of Chevy vs Ford vs Ram, fat side up or down, shoot a boar in the cajones or not, Aoudad vs house cat, etc... I appreciate the feedback! Off to the boat show I go!
tlh3842
AG
Salt of the water said:

Used dargel 25 Kat for what you want to do and where you want to do it. Don't know if you can get a new 23 for 50k.

If you want the most versatility for 50k (you mentioned cast and blast, bay, and offshore) here's what I'd do.

Spend 15k on a Tran baby cat or majek rfl 18. This will cover getting skinny in the bays and duck hunting winter low tides.
Then spend the other 35k on an offshore boat you could also use to fish rough bay days in. Something in the 23-25 range. I've seen restored older makos with a new 300 hp 4 stroke or twin 150s in the 30k range.

Solid advice. As I read your OP, I was scrolling down to post Dargel Kat. But depending on your desires, the two boat option doesn't sound bad at all.
Salt of the water
AG
tlh3842 said:

Solid advice. As I read your OP, I was scrolling down to post Dargel Kat. But depending on your desires, the two boat option doesn't sound bad at all.

All boats are compromises... So compromise less and get more boats!
Ragoo
AG
Buy a lot of cast and blasts for 50k.
Michael Shumard
I honestly hope you are kidding.

The best recommendation you can get is chose the area you want to fish and hunt, then, drive around and see what kind of boats the locals have, what kind the guides have.

I'm POC you are not likely to find many guides or locals with a haynie.

Just like in Galveston you won't see many majeks a.
DallasAggies01
AG
Michael Shumard said:

The best recommendation you can get is chose the area you want to fish and hunt, then, drive around and see what kind of boats the locals have, what kind the guides have.

I honestly hope you're kidding.

I understand your logic but where I'm at in Sargent off of East Matty you'll see every make and model of boat. I prefer a traditional bay boat so I can hit blue water even in 3 ft seas. Some prefer to get real skinny so they have their choices. It's all up to what someone wants not whats ran in the area. As long as you know the limits of the ride you're on you'll be good.
Michael Shumard
A boat recommendation based on one body of water that's more diverse then most is silly, too.

Simply pointing out that he mentioned at the front of the post cast and blast, duck hunting. It implies shallow water. Bet he didn't walk hundreds of yards when he was with a guide...
Duck Blind
AG
Michael Shumard said:

Simply pointing out that he mentioned at the front of the post cast and blast, duck hunting. It implies shallow water. Bet he didn't walk hundreds of yards when he was with a guide...

Spot on.
sunchaser
AG
I chose to pass on posting on this thread early on because I knew where it would go. My opinion along this line has always been...boats are a compromise. If there was a boat that would do everything on the coast....I would own one.

My first thought regarding the OP was, "What brand/kind of boat did the guide own?"

Lot's of people fish in the flats. To some that's 2' of water...to others it's 6-9." I spend a lot of time in the shallow end. The brand/type of boats I see most often are Majeks, Ibis, Shallow Sports, Shadows, a buttload of kayaks, lots of poling skiffs and a few airboats. I don't view any of those as a combo boats....maybe bad combo boats.

If you want to fish off the back of shrimp boats on good days and in the bays on bad days you have to compromise. I know nothing about POC but if I chose a combo boat for the Port Aransas, Baffin area, it in my opinion, would probably be different than Centerpole would chose for Port Mansfield and SPI, I mentioned in another thread about towing a friend's 24' Haynie out of the flats. He and his son owned and fished out of the ugliest boat ever made out of Port Aransas for many years. On the very first day with the Haynie they put in at Bird Island and tore the lower unit off in Baffin where they had fished for years.

Michael Shumard
Jack duke - if duck hunting is really in the mix of activities you will probably want one of the boats sun chaser listed...

Shoalwater, majek, shallow sport

You won't be able to go to blue water unless the surf is flat - less then advisable. But you'll be able to do casts and blasts pretty well.
Ragoo
AG
Michael Shumard said:

Jack duke - if duck hunting is really in the mix of activities you will probably want one of the boats sun chaser listed...

Shoalwater, majek, shallow sport

You won't be able to go to blue water unless the surf is flat - less then advisable. But you'll be able to do casts and blasts pretty well.
i agree with both. If duck hunting, shallow water, wade fishing, even drift fishing are the goal then you will want a boat with a wider beam and shorter gunnels.

Get a 5-10 year old 18' classic shallow sport.
Kearney McRaven
Michael Shumard said:

We used to have a place in Seadrift just down the road from Rayburn Haynie. Before he sold out, you would see them everywhere in the POC area. Now they cost twice as much. I have had two, and they were both great boats. They are still great boats, but they are not the affordable option to a pathfinder that they once were.
sunchaser
AG
I had Shallow Sports for a long time. I have eased out the jetties and run 8-10 miles down the coast line. The negative with something like a no sides Classic is believe it or not.....no sides....no gunwales. You can bottle butt around the 1st and 2nd gut but if you have any type of waves rolling in sooner or later an adult will fall in. In all the years I owned a Shallow Sport I have had adults fall off of every side and end. I always tilted the engine down due to them falling off the rear platform. Fortunately no one ever fell into the boat. I never got anywhere near the bye bye buoy.

I never had anyone under 18 fall off the boat.
Gunny456
AG
Wanted to pass this on for what is worth. I was a factory rep for a major fishing boat company for right at 34 years.
Guides and Pro Fisherman search for the best promotional deal a company will make them and that is the boat they run. There is no loyalty and whatever boat company makes them the best deal is who they say is the best. If the next year another company makes them a better deal then they run that boat and say it's the best.
Factories do "memo" deals, delayed bill deals and tremendously deep discounts to get the best guides or fisherman to run their boats. Not unlike any sports brand with other athletes.
Bottom line they are paid to promote the product they are using. Be very aware of that.
Whatever brand boat you purchase you should take a ride in it in the actual conditions you are going to use it in at a time when those conditions are the worst.
Also for that kind of investment it pays to go to the factory and get them to show you how they build a boat and why their boat is better than the competition.
The boat business is a very unique business as boat owners are very opinionated about whatever brand they own.
Not unlike college football fans.
Remember this. ......, Everybody will tell you their boat is the best. Very few will take to the bad water to prove it.
When buying one. Narrow it down to two or three brands and then tell all those dealers or companies you want to test all those boats at one place at one time and see who will show up. Then make your decision.
Sad to say there is a low degree of integrity in the boat business and a lot of BS spread around.
They all look good sitting in a showroom.
Do your research on ownership stability and true warranty and read the small print. Check who has the highest market share and what company owns that brand and how stable they are.
If you purchase a boat brand that goes bottom up in a bad economy your investment is worthless.
Remember Bayhawks?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.