Outdoors
Sponsored by

How do I trace down a renter who has flown the coop?

9,955 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by eric76
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sucks...
Did you use MySmartMove.com or similar to run a background/renter history check on them before you brought them on? Call references? This really sucks, there's a special place in hell for people who neglect animals AND wantonly destroy others' property.
Knucklesammich
Am I the only one who pictures one of the apartments from Se7en?

Like its always raining, and lit like a Tool video?
aggielostinETX
AG
NRD09 said:

slight derail, assuming FSGuide has you taken care of...
how does one get in this situation? I too am a small scale slumlord and while I've been fortunate to have great renters so far, my plan is to begin eviction proceedings on the 6th of the month if I don't have my rent yet. Deposit should take care of that month, maybe it takes 2 months before I can get it re-occupied, but I can't imagine being mad enough to chase down a renter and spend the time getting a judgment against them. If I was that worried about it I would have a landlord policy which should cover lost rent if the house is damaged and unliveable/unrentable. Am I missing something? I know it's tougher to evict renters in some areas than others

I lost $30k on damages and back rent. I evicted after 3 days of late rent(it was late every month) bc 3 extra dogs. They didn't fight eviction but everything was trashed. I spent just $1000 on fleas.

Don't wait. I never thought about claiming on my insurance policy.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
MAROON
AG
B-1 83 said:

UPDATE:
$5-10k of damage in the house after keys were finally relinquished today. They texted me that the keys were in the house and they were out. The stench was gagging. Evidently they HAD kept the dogs in for multiple days. All carpets trashed. Holes in walls, vinyl floor buckled in spots from piss.....it goes on and on
take a large group of dogs to Chilis and have them all crap and piss on the floor of the restaurant.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Free torch when you buy a pitchfork....
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
PooDoo
AG
My wife has been listening to a podcast where the guy started using Air B&B for his rental properties and it eliminated a lot of the landlord headaches like collecting rent, eviction, and etc.
We might give it a try on one of our houses when we get a vacancy.
caddy
If they had renter's insurance then you might be able to make claim against that policy. In the future I would require every tenant to have renter's insurance and give you a copy of the certificate.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
ellebee said:

Serious question. Does insurance cover this?
Insurance might. If not, the expenses related to bringing the property back to leasable condition should be tax-deductible up to a certain point. The hidden beauty of rental properties is not the rent you receive, but deductions you can take.
ZoneClubber
AG
Quote:

I can get it re-occupied, but I can't imagine being mad enough to chase down a renter and spend the time getting a judgment against them.
You can get a judgment for the damages and back rent at the time you get a forcible detainer judgment (up to $10,000, with a few exceptions)
aggielostinETX
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

ellebee said:

Serious question. Does insurance cover this?
Insurance might. If not, the expenses related to bringing the property back to leasable condition should be tax-deductible up to a certain point. The hidden beauty of rental properties is not the rent you receive, but deductions you can take.

They were but only so much a year. I got to claim it over 2 years.

AggieKatie2 said:
aggielostinETX
AG
Zone416 said:

Quote:

I can get it re-occupied, but I can't imagine being mad enough to chase down a renter and spend the time getting a judgment against them.
You can get a judgment for the damages and back rent at the time you get a forcible detainer judgment (up to $10,000, with a few exceptions)

Our issue was they had dick. My lawyer basically said he would do it but it's like getting blood from a rock.

AggieKatie2 said:
FSGuide
Deats said:

Zone416 said:

Quote:

Our issue was they had dick. My lawyer basically said he would do it but it's like getting blood from a rock.

You'd be surprised what you can get out of people if you waterboard their spouse or kids. For best results you substitute gas for the water and matches for the rag over the face.
AgEng06
AG
Well, that escalated quickly.
FSGuide
AgEng06 said:

Well, that escalated quickly.
Nah, I'm always just "right there" it doesn't take much. I gotta pay the bills somehow.
Naveronski
AG
If he's a "big shot" at Chili's, wouldn't they be interested to know about the kind of manager they have?

I'm sure it would be harassment for the OP to call them, but if someone else tweets photos of how he treats his dogs, and weaponizes PETA against him, you might enjoy some satisfaction.
Burdizzo
AG
You probably won't get your money out of them, but is this a possible course of action?

1. Send an invoice for damage to the property
2. After 90 days they don't pay
3. Send them a 1099-C for forgiveness of the debt (I assume you have a SSN for someone)
4. Let them deal with the IRS for the taxes on the forgiven debt.

My brother has a business where some customers have a credit account. He had one guy that ran up his credit account and didn't pay. Every month my brother sent him a statement with interest charged. After several years of carrying the balance and not seeing any money, my brother wrote it off as a bad debt. When the customer got the 1099 at tax time he was kind of pissed off because he then had to pay tax on that forgiven debt.
jt2hunt
AG
Renters insurance can
Oyster DuPree
AG
Deats said:

NRD09 said:

slight derail, assuming FSGuide has you taken care of...
how does one get in this situation? I too am a small scale slumlord and while I've been fortunate to have great renters so far, my plan is to begin eviction proceedings on the 6th of the month if I don't have my rent yet. Deposit should take care of that month, maybe it takes 2 months before I can get it re-occupied, but I can't imagine being mad enough to chase down a renter and spend the time getting a judgment against them. If I was that worried about it I would have a landlord policy which should cover lost rent if the house is damaged and unliveable/unrentable. Am I missing something? I know it's tougher to evict renters in some areas than others

I lost $30k on damages and back rent. I evicted after 3 days of late rent(it was late every month) bc 3 extra dogs. They didn't fight eviction but everything was trashed. I spent just $1000 on fleas.

Don't wait. I never thought about claiming on my insurance policy.

If you would have said something I'd have sold you fleas for half that much
aggielostinETX
AG
FSGuide said:

Deats said:

Zone416 said:

Quote:

You'd be surprised what you can get out of people if you waterboard their spouse or kids. For best results you substitute gas for the water and matches for the rag over the face.

Glad I got you on speed dial

AggieKatie2 said:
aggielostinETX
AG
Burdizzo said:

You probably won't get your money out of them, but is this a possible course of action?

1. Send an invoice for damage to the property
2. After 90 days they don't pay
3. Send them a 1099-C for forgiveness of the debt (I assume you have a SSN for someone)
4. Let them deal with the IRS for the taxes on the forgiven debt.

My brother has a business where some customers have a credit account. He had one guy that ran up his credit account and didn't pay. Every month my brother sent him a statement with interest charged. After several years of carrying the balance and not seeing any money, my brother wrote it off as a bad debt. When the customer got the 1099 at tax time he was kind of pissed off because he then had to pay tax on that forgiven debt.

You'd have to put it in the lease or get a judgement

AggieKatie2 said:
ellebee
Somehow I doubt these fine upstanding individuals had that.

So FSGuide's suggestion it is!
B-1 83
AG
Update: They're being evicted from their "new" house after only a month. Owners caught wind and checked on them. The house already smelled like dog **** and they claimed the had no dogs. No deposit paid. No word on the owners following up with Coldwell Banker Pacesetter on the application process.
Roger That
AG
Hmm, I wonder what caused the owner to check in on them?
C Loves L
SanAntoneAg said:

Spend some time in Flour Bluff and you'll find them.

But which single wide???
aTm2004
AG
MAROON said:

B-1 83 said:

UPDATE:
$5-10k of damage in the house after keys were finally relinquished today. They texted me that the keys were in the house and they were out. The stench was gagging. Evidently they HAD kept the dogs in for multiple days. All carpets trashed. Holes in walls, vinyl floor buckled in spots from piss.....it goes on and on
take a large group of dogs to Chilis and have them all crap and piss on the floor of the restaurant.

He should find out which Chili's the guy is at and take them there and announce loudly "you left your dogs in my rental house when you moved out without notice. You may want to have the chef whip up something because you didn't leave any food for them" and then walk out.
aTm2004
AG
PooDoo said:

My wife has been listening to a podcast where the guy started using Air B&B for his rental properties and it eliminated a lot of the landlord headaches like collecting rent, eviction, and etc.
We might give it a try on one of our houses when we get a vacancy.
A friend of my wife and I's does this. She has a condo in the medical center that she moved out of last year and rents exclusively on Air B&B to visiting med students, families in town for care, etc. It has worked out well for her. With rodeo coming up, she's getting some of those as well.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
B-1 83 said:

Astrobo said:

B-1 83 said:

I'm the landlord and they moved out without written notice owing $1000s.
Good luck collecting a dime if they went AWOL on you. Hopefully they did not trash the place too bad.
The guy is a regional big shot with Chili's. Kid is a Calallen cheerleader. They didn't go far
Just saw this post. This is your angle for at least getting some retribution. Kid is a cheerleader = she has social status/face/whatever. Embarrass her as much as possible via social media and make her a social pariah.
45-70Ag
AG
I get being mad at the guy but going after his kid seems even worse than what the tenant originally did.

She can't help it her dad is a **** bag.
B-1 83
AG
Irish_Man said:

I get being mad at the guy but going after his kid seems even worse than what the tenant originally did.

She can't help it her dad is a **** bag.
Indeed. I'm a jerk, not an *******. That kid has been through enough after the famous Calallen cheerleader video of which she played one of the staring roles. Her mom is the president of the cheerleader booster club, however.....
45-70Ag
AG
I'm afraid to even ask what the calallen cheerleader video is about.
Long Live Sully
AG
Irish_Man said:

It made me blush and I have been around.
UnderoosAg
AG
Dumb kids being dumb kids.

NSFW language. The cheer/chant/song is from a Spike Lee movie.

aTm2004
AG
Irish_Man said:

Kids being kids and sing nothing different than we all did. The only difference is we didn't have video cameras in our pockets. If it's the video I'm thinking about.
91AggieLawyer
AG
AirBnB has its issues as well, and the company doesn't always support the property owner when the renter trashes the place. It is easier to get a judgment against a local resident even if you have trouble locating them.

Keep in mind that there can be criminal penalties associated with trashing a rental property. A police officer will probably tell you it is strictly a civil matter, but if you go to the police station and/or the DA's office, you may get some action depending on what happened and the statutes. I haven't looked at them in a while so you'll need to look at some of the statutes. Some law firms publish articles about landlord recovery rights on tenants that skip and trash their properties.

I always recommend getting a judgment against someone even if it doesn't appear you can collect. You can make their life difficult if you follow through by abstracting the judgment in every county they move to. That will place a lien on all non-homestead property they own, at least in Texas. You can also do post judgment discovery. Unlikely they will cooperate but if you want to get a court to order it and serve it on them at their job, you might get further down the road.
B-1 83
AG
Final followup ....

Went to court last week and got the full $10k

They didn't show up. I did get to present my case to the judge for the homeowner (she sold it it April), and the judge said I was well prepared and likely would have won regardless.

We're expecting 7 figures in the end .....$00,000.00
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.