Outdoors
Sponsored by

Struck By Lightning

11,874 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmellba99
austinAG90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was fishing Poco one year with my son with storms around but what I thought were still aways from us. Starting catching our redfish while wading about 50 yards from boat. A bolt of lightning hit the bay - not sure how far away and the sound was incredible. I heard my GPS reset itself and hauled ass back to boat and grabbed son. By the time we made it back to POC it was a major storm. Also had my fishing poles and line vibrate out on the bay before as well. Laid in the bottom of my boat during a prior Poco year as well. Never again.
Badace52
AG
No, unlike wood which has a relatively high resistance, lightning can pass through us rather easily as we are basically a bag of salty water. Human skin has a moderately high resistance and you can get some pretty cool burn patterns if the lightning travels through it. Google "lichtenberg figures".
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Not lightning, but I was working in the ER and we had a road crew concrete raker come in who was holding his rake straight up and hit a power line. Electricity went in at his shoulder and came out his pelvis which had hit an embankment he was standing next to.

His skin on his pelvis exploded off like burnt gray newspaper, scrotum was swollen to the size of two softballs side by side, and his p*enis MELTED OFF!! We ended up having to call urology to put a suprapubic catheter in emergently before he got sent to a burn center. Craziest electrical injury I have seen by a mile. Kid was awake the whole time in our ER and pain free, but I'd be surprised if he survived the internal injuries he likely sustained.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rather be fishing
AG
Badace52 said:

Not lightning, but I was working in the ER and we had a road crew concrete raker who was holding his rake straight up and hit a power line. Electricity went in at his shoulder and came out hig pelvis which hit an embankment he was standing next to.

His skin on his pelvis exploded off like burnt gray newspaper, scrotum was swollen to the size of two softballs side by side, and his ***** MELTED OFF!! We ended up having to call urology to put a suprapubic catheter in emergently before he got sent to a burn center. Craziest electrical injury I have seen by a mile. Kid was awake the whole time in our ER and pain free, but I'd be surprised if he survived the internal injuries he likely sustained.

For the youth of America, electricity will explode your *****.
Meaux92
AgsMnn,

Was your uncle originally from Dime Box?
PooDoo
AG

Na Zdraví 87
AG
My father in law lost 12 cows a few years ago that were under a tree that got struck by lightning.

I lost a damn good Angus bull to lightning a couple of years ago. I saw him standing out in the pasture during a storm. A few minutes later, I heard lightning crack and thunder right after it. Looked over where he was and he was flat on the ground dead.
Strongweasel97
AG
Lightning Struck our house or yard a few years ago. Blew the sprinkler control in the garage off the wall and across to the other wall (3 car) hard enough to put an inch indention into the sheetrock on the opposite side. Also took out a lot of electronics inside the house...with that close of a strike, surge protectors are toast and so are most of the electronics they're connected too.
Strongweasel97
AG
PooDoo said:

Holy ****!
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Strongweasel97 said:

PooDoo said:

Holy ****!
So much for that old adage.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
We were out throwing the football back and forth when a lightening strike shortened a 40' pine tree to a stump 20 yards away. We hit the deck (grass) like we were playing army, but my friend's little sister said smaller bolts hit us. No signs at the time.
rather be fishing
AG
I couldn't believe the guy got up and walked away after the first one, much less the second. Wow.
76Ag
AG
Does this count. Lightening struck my house when I was in it. It fried the control paned to the pool equipment. Cost a bundle to replace. That's better than someone getting injured. The thunder was very LOUD!
elnaco
AG
POCO 2017 sequence of events

Lightening is rad until it gets too close. I've had static snapping in the rod guides before and my hair start to stand up but luckily no incidents. There's a pretty good "Stuff You Should Know" Podcast on lightening that does a good explanation of the different kinds of lightening and the mechanics of a lightening strike.
JSKolache
AG
House next door got hit 2 weekends ago while I was in the shower! Talk about yikes. I was mowing yard when rain rolled in. Tried to finished but thunder was closing in. Went inside to clean up and BAM right outside the bath window.

Neighbor is having to replace appx $20k worth of electronics. And I will now listen to what mama always said and stay out of the shower during electrical storms. Waaaay to close.
AgTech88
AG
Grew up in the Panhandle during the Oil Boom & Bust. During the Boom guys that were all of a sudden "rich" were spending big $$ on some stupid ***** My best buddy's dad was one of them (which meant I enjoyed some of the spoils....) - he decided to get into high $$ Bulls (I guess for breeding, or just collecting?). He had a little place outside of town and spent a ton on a fancy barn, pen, and pasture. He goes to the first auction (I think in Midland/Odessa) and comes back with a bull he spent tens of thousands of $ on. Turns it out in his fancy new pasture in a big ceremony/party. Next morning buddy and i have to go feed said bull and, you guessed it, it was dead as a stump. It was teets up in the middle of its pretty little pasture with a couple hooves blown off and lots of burned hide. Closest I ever got to lightning, but made a heck of an impression seeing what it did to that massive bull. If the sky darkens you won't find me exposed.

As an aside - the lighting storms are one of the things I miss from living there. We might not get any rain, but the lighting would streak across the sky for hours. It was a great cheap date to grab a six pack and get on outskirts of town and watch the lightning and listen to the thunder........
AgTech88
AG
Sounds like a Bob Seger tune dont it....
TRIDENT
AG
I was wondering about the lightning strike position that ursus mentioned, so here it is:

ursusguy
AG
That would be the one.
insulator_king
AG
My house has been struck by lightening while I was inside.
Pop-THUNDER-Jump!
big ben
AG
JSKolache said:

House next door got hit 2 weekends ago while I was in the shower! Talk about yikes. I was mowing yard when rain rolled in. Tried to finished but thunder was closing in. Went inside to clean up and BAM right outside the bath window.

Neighbor is having to replace appx $20k worth of electronics. And I will now listen to what mama always said and stay out of the shower during electrical storms. Waaaay to close.

Where was this? A coworkers house got hit two weeks ago
AgsMnn
AG
Yes

He was a good person.
OasisMan
AG
PooDoo said:

this dude is tuff!
EMY92
AG
PooDoo said:

That dude had to have done something to really tick off the Lord.
cbr
AG
PooDoo said:

This for real?

What are the odds.

Now if we are talking other accidents i have two cases i worked.

One poor sob was fishing rubbers out of a mud district turd pool. They gavebhim an alimunim net pole and no one seemed to notice the power line within reach of the pole from the steel platform.

Of course, he hit it. Crispy critter. Another one that blew his pecker off. He had no hair, no real fingers or thumbs left, and third degree burns all over. Bad case.

The other was at the old cinema 2 by 45s/610 in houston. It had really ****ty old dusty, rusty 1940's looking electrical room and wiring. They called an electrician to come out. One of his jobs was to replace the big sodium light bulbs on the roof. Well, he didnt lock out tag out properly, and somehow managed to be laying on the steel flashing, hanging over the side of the roof, twisting this big sodium bulb. He broke the bulb, the filament was live, it locked his hand on and proceeded to crispy fry him until enough pieces of his body disintigrated and fell off the side of the building to break the circuit.

That case was a real illustration in judges and juries. Plaintiffs lawyers asked the panel 'who here thinks you probably shouldnt be liable if you call an electrician and he electrocutes himself?' About 50 people out of 80 or so raised their hands. That judge struck every one of them for cause, so i had a panel of freaks left who didnt have any sense at all.

Still won.

McGibblets
AG
TRIDENT said:

I was wondering about the lightning strike position that ursus mentioned, so here it is:

I was taught that you rest your elbows on your knees, and have your fingers meet at a point above (but not touching) your head. The idea behind this was the worst of the shock would avoid your head and vitals and go straight into the ground. Don't know how much of a difference it would make than this one.
Strongweasel97
AG
cbr said:

One poor sob was fishing rubbers out of a mud district turd pool.

Usually this would be the end of a sad story, not the beginning. Damn.

Edit: wrong emoji....was supposed to be "shocked" face.
JSKolache
AG
big ben said:

JSKolache said:

Where was this? A coworkers house got hit two weeks ago
Richmond
TwoMarksHand
AG
One of my show Herefords died from a lighting strike when I was in Jr High. RIP Peanut Butter.
geb83
AG
Going up the stairs in Dorm 7 in '83. It was a partly cloudy day but not yet raining as some thunder clouds started to move in. Several Corps Turds down on the Quad (when we still had some grass - damn it) were tossing a football.

I'm about 4 steps up and boom! . . . lighting strike hits the dorm. i end up back at the bottom of the stairs and run to look out the window to see aforementioned CT's scattering like a kicked over pile of ants.

Knocked about a 3x3' hole in the top NW corner of the dorm and their were bricks scattered across the quad.

Powerful stuff that lightning.
rab79
AG
Local weather station just gave lightning fatality count for this year, 20 so far with 1 in Texas, Florida had the most with 7.
Shoefly!
AG
A good friend of my brother's was struck and killed by lightning while fishing in Galveston Bay. He was an OL that played under Coach Stallings for 3 yrs & Bellard his Sr year, Mike Faulkner.
schmellba99
AG
Never been struck, but I've been far, far, far too close a couple of times.

First time was when I was probably a freshman in high school. Late at night, a bad storm rolled through town. We had a couple of monster oaks in the back yard, one of which was maybe 3 feet from the house. The storm was enough to casually wake me up, so I was half awake when the bolt hit. You could just sense it - everything got dead quiet for a split second, bright as hell flash and a thunder crack that was beyond loud. Just a weird feelling before the sequence of events. It woke everybody up in the house in an instant - hit the oak tree next to the house about 20 feet up and blew a huge chunk out of the trunk. Fried a phone and our computer. I had a pet rabbit at the time and his hutch was at the base of the tree, I honestly figured I'd go outside to see him dead as a door nail. But the tough SOB was still alive, though I could not distinguish individual heartbeats for a good 15 minutes after on him. Never saw his eyes that big either.

Second time was back in 2001 - I was working a shutdown at Lyondell Bayport facility. As usual, it pretty much rained the entire time during the shutdown. Mostly it was just rain, but one day a solid front pushed in that everybody knew was going to be a wet and windy one. I was standing at the base of one of the reactor columns in a makeshift scaffolding tent. Lightening hit that column somewhere above me, no clue how high up. Same thing as when it hit the tree next to the house - you felt it a second before it happened, there was a split second of absolute dead silence (assuming due to the air being ionized), bright as hell flash and a thunder clap that rang your ears like a damned howitzer went off next to you. Kind of a buzzing sound in the air after. We called it a day after that one, I know it took a couple of hours for the jitters to finally go away.
jamaggie06
AG
Great Scott!

1.21 jigga-watts?!!
flashplayer
AG
My wife worked as an EMT at Schlitterbahn some years back and several people got struck. One of them had his heart stop and they shocked his heart back into rhythm on site. Lucky fella.

Two guys were struck and killed about 30-40 years ago putting up goal posts at Navarro high school (close to Seguin).

It happens more than we all realize.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.