Outdoors
Sponsored by

Struck By Lightning

11,843 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmellba99
Siera Ontiveros
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I was a kid and learning to ride my bike it started to get cloudy outside but I thought nothing of it.
After about 5 min a lightning bolt came down right in front of me!!! I didn't get struck but was about 2ft from it... I've been scared of anything having to do with the rain ever since!
P.H. Dexippus
AG
cbr said:

That case was a real illustration in judges and juries. Plaintiffs lawyers asked the panel 'who here thinks you probably shouldnt be liable if you call an electrician and he electrocutes himself?' About 50 people out of 80 or so raised their hands. That judge struck every one of them for cause, so i had a panel of freaks left who didnt have any sense at all.

Still won.
Wow. And of course, it's already bad enough that just about every person with a job and enough neurons to create an excuse can get out of jury duty.
CampingAg
AG
Camping at that spot about 3/4 the way up Guadalupe Peak. Wicked, un-forecast(ed?) storm one night. Never seen lightning that bright in my life. On the way out west, buddy says he read an article about how it had been a bad year for mountain climbers and lightning. I thought it was about 50/50 whether I lived or died.
Tabasco
AG
I did an internship in the early 90's at Warm Springs Rehab Hospital in Warm Springs, GA (where FDR got his polio treatments). People went there for a variety of reasons, stroke, various accidents, etc. I was there for a year, and there was two women, maybe 6 months apart, that I met that were each struck by lightning. They were there at different times and never spoke or interacted with each other. I remember thinking "what are the odds" of meeting two people that were struck by lighting. Even stranger, they both shared a common post-strike behavior, that I learned in talking with each of them. Both of them, independently, told me they had an ever-present unquenchable thirst. Every few years, when I think about them or the subject is brought up, I google it to see if it is "a thing," but nothing comes up.
45-70Ag
AG
Fort Bragg
In the woods, lightning hits a nearby tree and it basically exploded.
About soiled myself
Greeze06
AG
45-70Ag
AG
Greeze06 said:

That was bad ass
Probably not in person though
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm pretty sure that was det cord, not lightning.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lightning-striking-a-river/
VaultingChemist
AG
When I was attending summer classes at A&M, it seemed like almost every afternoon the clouds would build up and it would rain just a small amount. During one of these small storms, lightning hit the library and chunks of brick exploded onto the ground around the library. I picked up one of the chunks, and I think I may still have it somewhere in my house.
The Fife
Strongweasel97 said:

Lightning Struck our house or yard a few years ago. Blew the sprinkler control in the garage off the wall and across to the other wall (3 car) hard enough to put an inch indention into the sheetrock on the opposite side. Also took out a lot of electronics inside the house...with that close of a strike, surge protectors are toast and so are most of the electronics they're connected too.
Very similar experience here at our place. I'm still not sure what was hit. Could've been the stack which is still all 2.5" copper since it's an old house. The storm was more or less passed, rain almost done, and we got flash, BOOM, and the dog, cat, and me all running off in different directions at the same time. Most breakers on a subpanel were tripped.

I got lucky because the house wiring was undamaged and any electronics that had issues I was able to replace affected boards and power adapters to repair. That's with all of our stuff on surge protectors.
Aggie
AG
Hs Football game and lightning struck one of the light poles.
Loud as hell and knocked out power
Game was cancelled
spud1910
AG
My great grandmother was talking on a telephone in the first half of the last century. Lightning struck the line. She survived, but had a scar from the gold necklace she was wearing.
bigfoot10s
AG
My grandmother was struck in August of 1994 outside her house. I heard this week she may have been struck a second time at some point.

She passed last week at the age of 91. Smoked a pack or two a day and a heart attack took her away. 2nd or 3rd in a few years.

RIP Lightning Rod
45-70Ag
AG
bigfoot10s said:

My grandmother was struck in August of 1994 outside her house. I heard this week she may have been struck a second time at some point.

She passed last week at the age of 91. Smoked a pack or two a day and a heart attack took her away. 2nd or 3rd in a few years.

RIP Lightning Rod

Not making fun of your grandmother passing, but your nickname for her............
aggielostinETX
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

One of my show Herefords died from a lighting strike when I was in Jr High. RIP Peanut Butter.
Peanut Butter Toast... amiright?
aggielostinETX
AG
Closest to me, I was taking a crap at an open pool restroom at a resort. It was blinding and deafening. It the hit the golf course 100 yards away. We met 4 guys who were on the hole were it happened. All of them felt it pass through them.
76Ag
AG
Deats did it help with your BM? That seems like a good constipation cure....
schmellba99
AG
Greeze06 said:

Not lightening, that is detcord with some underwater demo to increase the depth of that channel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.