Outdoors
Sponsored by

!st Attempt at Posting Pic- 4 legged Cougar

7,566 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CSTXAg92
Goodest Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Qualifier...its a mountain lion I took this Spring. So if I can't figure out how to post correctly...Texags can wonder if it really happened. Like the Giddings of Lions.

dangit, strike 1

dreaded box...strike 2. Also- dam ur fast Furlock! and thanks

Furlock Bones
AG
here you go

Furlock Bones
AG
right click the photo i posted. then paste it into your post just like it is.
AgEng06
AG
Shooting yellow labs for fun.
Goodest Poster
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Took 8 days of grueling hikes to find him, but it was worth it. Over 9 foot- amazing 4 year old that terrorized a couple of ranches.

Bonus- found this guy napping. Sent coords to UPWD so they could put a collar on it. Only moderately pissed my pants.
zephyr88
AG
damn... good thing you didn't miss!
LEJ
Very nice. Where at?
Goodest Poster
AG
jftx04 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Took 8 days of grueling hikes to find him, but it was worth it. Over 9 foot- amazing 4 year old that terrorized a couple of ranches.

Bonus- found this guy napping. Sent coords to UPWD so they could put a collar on it. Only moderately pissed my pants.

Lots of credit to guides Garret Smith and Brett Guyman with Alpha Outfitters. Once in a lifetime trophy.
Mathguy64
AG
Azulag is gonna be pissed when he finds out you killed his cat
giddings_ag_06
AG
That thing is large...
ursusguy
AG
Utah has some nice cats
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Are you doing a full body mount?
zooguy96
I dunno, I think most of us would like to see pictures of cougars of the other sort.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
FIDO 96
AG
Officially OB jealous.
AggiePetro07
AG
Looks like you grabbed it by the....

Nevermind
javajaws
AG
zooguy96 said:

I dunno, I think most of us would like to see pictures of cougars of the other sort.

I prefer my 2 legged cougars a little more petite...
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Tumble Weed
Those paws are huge
rather be fishing
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Those paws are huge
We've all been there.
Goodest Poster
AG
Thanks all...he was a freak of nature.
Full body mount- yes
Paws- 12 inches
He likely wont be state record because his skull isnt mature. I get all the dna info back in about 2 months from the tooth UPWD took. Will share that when i get it.
200# lions are not as common as stories come out.
Lots of awesome pics of mediocre cats that make them look huge. This lion's tail was as thick as my thigh. Most of the pics my feet are 3 feet higher on the mountain side than his.
Was a total dream hunt and stalk that almost killed me 3 times.
Goodest Poster
AG
1 more thing-
Best compliment came from taxidermist. He said he couldnt get to it for a while. I asked why.
"I have to order an African lion for the mold. He would look like an 80 year old librarian with bingo wings on my lion mould".
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sounds like you have a good taxidermist! I was afraid he might end up on the bad taxidermy google image search...
Tumble Weed
What gun were you carrying?
BradMtn346
Wow! Beautiful cat. Congratulations.
AgsMnn
AG
Story?

Goodest Poster
AG
Tumble Weed said:

What gun were you carrying?
Thanks all.

.40 cal pistol and a 30.06. I took him with the 30.06.

AgsMnn...story. Well, I will pick up from the last day where I shot him.
It was early in the morning. I was only looking for a cougar to make a rug out of so size wasn't a huge issue. I hadn't considered this to be a trophy hunt.

We pick up on some tracks and get dogs working and tree a small female after about an hour. But a "landowner" (hippie) came out claiming it was on her property and she doesn't want any lions killed. By the time we proved to her she was a lying POS, the cat had jumped into the creek and was gone. We had seen a track that was 2 days old so we followed it a ways. After a while we saw some other tracks from what looked like a much larger cat.

So, we grabbed some dogs and put them on that trail. They disappeared...out of audible range...then out of gps tracker range. The other guide radioed that the other group of dogs was on something so we backtracked to meet up with him. It was a bust...dogs were just on the crisscross of the other 2 cats.

So, we drove snow mobile up to a spot by a creek "crossing" And by crossing I mean you get soaked.
The main guide Garett started to "get ready", looked at the other guide and said "This is royally gonna Effin suck". For the newbies out there- you NEVER wanna hear a guide say that.

It was explained the dogs were over 2 miles away- but no clue. I decided to leave my phone in my backpack (after a couple near death experiences that week) and left my big pack at the snowmobile in case search and rescue needed to notify my family.
Goodest Poster
AG
After crossing the first creek, the first mountain side to climb was all thorn bushes. I had 103 cuts on me when I got back to the hotel and cleaned up. Most of those came on first ascent.

We hiked through calf deep know for about an hour up to a river. NOT a creek. The snow bank was about 30 feet. My options were jump, or jump. SO, I jumped. I had a bruise on my bum and thigh prob 16 inches long. When we got to the bottom we were all plugged chest deep in snow. The way we got out was pushing up on the fallen tree in front of us. WHAT????? A FALLEN TREE!???? Ya, it was buried and coulda paralyzed us all. But it didn't and it became usefull so on we went to crossing the frozen-ish river.

gotta run...to be continued
Serious Lee
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sounds like you have a good taxidermist! I was afraid he might end up on the bad taxidermy google image search...

looks like one ofthose beverly hills cougars thats had a few too many facelifts
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Taxidermist: "what form do you want for your cougar?"
Hunter: "Real Housewives of Orange County"
Taxidermist: "got you covered...."
labmansid
Uncle Gunnysack said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

looks like one ofthose beverly hills cougars thats had a few too many facelifts
I saw her on "Botched".

ursusguy
AG
Have you tried any of the meat yet? Mountain lion is extremely good.

Not me horsing around, mountain lion is very good.
Goodest Poster
AG
ursusguy said:

Have you tried any of the meat yet? Mountain lion is extremely good.

Not me horsing around, mountain lion is very good.

You are crazy. One of the worst things i have ever eaten.
Goodest Poster
AG
...continued.
So we get over the big fallen trees and the discussion turns into debate on how much you should be able to hear water to determine if its frozen thick enough.
Im a 10th generation Son of the Republic of Texas by GOD. I dont know that answer!
But I know enough to point to the 6 foot 4 mountain man and say "Ladies First". So reluctantly we twinkle toed our way across. Once across we had to climb back UP an embankment. This one was tbat really loose dirt where we had to pull ourselves up by various tree roots.
---side note--- im carrying the guides 30.06 in a fabric case. Its slinging back and forth with every movement snagging on every mother effing thing.
To explain in another way...its more energy to punch someone and miss than to land square. So all my energy was being dictated by this dam sling. When the kill was over i offered to biy the gun so i could leave it on the mountain. I literally thought it migh be the cause of my death.

Back to the trek...

Goodest Poster
AG
After the first river we get a blip on the radar. But not to worry, its 1.75 miles from where we are.
Walking across, down, and up mountains- 1.75 miles might as well been 100.
Im gassed.
Then we come to another river. The fear takes over enough that once we get across with only one small fall i to 2 foot deep water. Climb the bank and are greeted by waste deep snow. Eff my life.
We keep climbing and trudging to where we finally get one ravine over. We can hear dogs and thats a source of energy. Then we see IT...the fresh track. Two guides stopped and said nothing. Garett looked at me and said "You have NO IDEA what is about to happen". It started to sink in this was a special trip.
Went into a "runners high" for about 30 mins and already started working on my breathing.
"Just over that hill" turned out to be the lying mantra of those mountain *******s. But we finally got to the one.
Guides said they were gonna go ahead of me and secure some dogs. After waiting in agony for what seemed like an hour, i started the final climb.
When I got to the top, i still couldnt see the lion but i saw the 2 guides sitting down...
Lemme say this...at this time, I had entered their place of worship. I mean that literally. Their demeanor was totally different, they were in reverent awe of what I was about to see....
To be continued...babies gotta go night night.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I must've missed it. Where in Utah?
aggie_fan13
AG
RIP kitty, gods among-st mortals. Here
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.