Outdoors
Sponsored by

!st Attempt at Posting Pic- 4 legged Cougar

7,563 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CSTXAg92
DDSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ursusguy said:

Have you tried any of the meat yet? Mountain lion is extremely good.

Not me horsing around, mountain lion is very good.

I agree with this.
ursusguy
AG
I'm not kidding. When I've had it, it was awesome. Cooked it like I would a lean feral hog (in fact just called it feral hog with one group to keep arguments down, no one knew the difference). Let it start to dry and it will toughen quick.
Goodest Poster
AG
So i finally turn around and look up into the tallest, thickest tree. We were looking dead into the sun. The lions tail dropped all the way past the next branch which in itself crazy to see. He was wrapped around the trunk of the tree head to tail, oriented left to right. There was a sliver between the tree trunk and his vitals.
Guide started to film, he informed me only the stupid dogs were left unchained should the cat run.
Got my breathing under control, squeezed the trigger and a few moments later he dropped like a stone. We could feel the thud.
Guides were elated. Cusswords all around, but the one that sticks with me "Oh my f******God, you just killed a Giant. Absolutely the biggest lion I have ever seen".....that makes a hunter feel good.
We spent the next 30 minutes taking pictures. They probably took 30 more than i did. I was flat exhausted.
Garett asked the other guide "Corey, if there were 400 inch elk sheds laying here, would you pack em out?" Response was..no way in hell.
Then it dawned on me..i still had to hike BACK. It was not a good feeling. I didnt want to lead on how bad I was whooped, but i wanted no part of that dadgum swinging gun.
We field dressed and started the hike back. Crossing the first river back (on way in, last out) once crossed the water we made the craziest snow staircase to get up the bank. Looked like something on the north wall in game of thrones.
With no sunlight left we came to a point where i heard water and i literally cussed out loud not remembering a 3rd river. I looked up to see snow mobile and realized the water was just the first small creek we had crossed. That was the first point it all started to sink in.
Im on the back nine of life. I had the question inside of whether or not I had what it takes. You never want that answer to be NO. My first guide of the trip took a nasty fall and tore his knee to shiot. Torn ACL/PCL, other stuff. Its a reminder that nature can be brutal.
In the end, this final trek was in the 5 to 6 mile range of the toughest stuff ive ever hiked. Ive hunted around the world. Ive filmed hunts- camera crew could not have done the hunt...period.
Both guides agreed it was the hardest hike of their lives, but that feeling was trumped by the smile knowing what trophy we were carrying back.
5 guides, 7 UPWD peeps, none had seen a lion that big. That's pretty cool company.
So, those that know me understand the next part.
I observed the men that dedicate their lives to this pursuit. I knew that trophy meant more to them than it could possibly mean to me. So, i agreed to send the lion we named Maximus to the Outfit that made it possible. The outfit which by the way, got everyone in my group of 5 that week a TOM. One day Maximus will be in my man cave, but for the immediate future, the trophy will remain with the men whose passion deserve it. The memory is a hell of a parting gift. Thanks to Alpha Outfitters and Garett, Corey, Brett, and JC.
JS
Goodest Poster
AG
ursusguy said:

I'm not kidding. When I've had it, it was awesome. Cooked it like I would a lean feral hog (in fact just called it feral hog with one group to keep arguments down, no one knew the difference). Let it start to dry and it will toughen quick.

Ha..i like your style. But not your menu. Ive been around cajuns my whole life whose life mantra seems to be "You just haven't had it cooked right".
Even the Utah Chinese restaurants arent touching lion meat.
For the guy who asked location- im not saying in respect to the out fitter. But it was in the Manti Range.
LEJ
Well done. Well told.
Mathguy64
AG
crap Wrong thread. NM.
Floorguy
jftx04 said:

So i finally turn around and look up into the tallest, thickest tree. We were looking dead into the sun. The lions tail dropped all the way past the next branch which in itself crazy to see. He was wrapped around the trunk of the tree head to tail, oriented left to right. There was a sliver between the tree trunk and his vitals.
Guide started to film, he informed me only the stupid dogs were left unchained should the cat run.
Got my breathing under control, squeezed the trigger and a few moments later he dropped like a stone. We could feel the thud.
Guides were elated. Cusswords all around, but the one that sticks with me "Oh my f******God, you just killed a Giant. Absolutely the biggest lion I have ever seen".....that makes a hunter feel good.
We spent the next 30 minutes taking pictures. They probably took 30 more than i did. I was flat exhausted.
Garett asked the other guide "Corey, if there were 400 inch elk sheds laying here, would you pack em out?" Response was..no way in hell.
Then it dawned on me..i still had to hike BACK. It was not a good feeling. I didnt want to lead on how bad I was whooped, but i wanted no part of that dadgum swinging gun.
We field dressed and started the hike back. Crossing the first river back (on way in, last out) once crossed the water we made the craziest snow staircase to get up the bank. Looked like something on the north wall in game of thrones.
With no sunlight left we came to a point where i heard water and i literally cussed out loud not remembering a 3rd river. I looked up to see snow mobile and realized the water was just the first small creek we had crossed. That was the first point it all started to sink in.
Im on the back nine of life. I had the question inside of whether or not I had what it takes. You never want that answer to be NO. My first guide of the trip took a nasty fall and tore his knee to shiot. Torn ACL/PCL, other stuff. Its a reminder that nature can be brutal.
In the end, this final trek was in the 5 to 6 mile range of the toughest stuff ive ever hiked. Ive hunted around the world. Ive filmed hunts- camera crew could not have done the hunt...period.
Both guides agreed it was the hardest hike of their lives, but that feeling was trumped by the smile knowing what trophy we were carrying back.
5 guides, 7 UPWD peeps, none had seen a lion that big. That's pretty cool company.
I observed the men that dedicate their lives to this pursuit. I knew that trophy meant more to them than it could possibly mean to me. So, i agreed to send the lion we named Maximus to the Outfit that made it possible. The outfit which by the way, got everyone in my group of 5 that week a TOM. One day Maximus will be in my man cave, but for the immediate future, the trophy will remain with the men whose passion deserve it. The memory is a hell of a parting gift.
JS

Great write up, thanks for sharing! Were you with Wade Lemon?
Tumble Weed
jftx04 said:

When the kill was over i offered to biy the gun so i could leave it on the mountain. I literally thought it migh be the cause of my death.

Excellent write up. I have felt this way before about a gun!

Goodest Poster
AG
Floorguy said:

jftx04 said:

I observed the men that dedicate their lives to this pursuit. I knew that trophy meant more to them than it could possibly mean to me. So, i agreed to send the lion we named Maximus to the Outfit that made it possible. The outfit which by the way, got everyone in my group of 5 that week a TOM. One day Maximus will be in my man cave, but for the immediate future, the trophy will remain with the men whose passion deserve it. The memory is a hell of a parting gift.
JS

No, I was with Alpha Outfitters. Garett Smith- the best.
Strongweasel97
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sounds like you have a good taxidermist! I was afraid he might end up on the bad taxidermy google image search...

Botched Botox job.
Floorguy
jftx04 said:

Floorguy said:

jftx04 said:

JS

No, I was with Alpha Outfitters. Garett Smith- the best.

Very good. Just asking because Wade is a buddy, and I have some of his bloodline in my dogs. Very cool experience. I've been up there in that exact country. Adrenaline is all that got me thru some of the terrain! Ha!
AUAg92
AG
jf, that is one helluva write up sir. I couldn't wait for you to get back to the story during your freakin breaks. Well done sir, & congratulations on that kill.
Seriously77
Thanks for the great read!
Goodest Poster
AG
AUAg92 said:

jf, that is one helluva write up sir. I couldn't wait for you to get back to the story during your freakin breaks. Well done sir, & congratulations on that kill.

Well thank you. Im glad AgsMnn asked. I hadnt planned on sharing the story. Just figured Id sit back and watch TA argue if its real or not. I didnt intentionally leave you hanging! Just got busy at times. Thanks for reading. Maybe my Sept bear hunt will produce another tale...
Goodest Poster
AG
Bump....Maximus finally made it home.
Lets see if i can remember how to post a pic.

Dayummit....be back after i reread pic tutorial
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Nope I suck at it too
Goodest Poster
AG

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Your taxidermist did a badass job! Love the ears and mouth! Congratulations, I'm jealous!
Goodest Poster
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Your taxidermist did a badass job! Love the ears and mouth! Congratulations, I'm jealous!

Thanks man!!! With everything...there's a story. I actually left Max with the guide so he could use it as promotional item for trade shows. I figured, i had the memory and he worked his whole career for an animal like that.
Fast forward a YEAR...and he hadnt done anything with it. It was still in the freezer. He was gonna do it, gonna do it, then never did. I told him to just let me pay for the mount so it didn't get ruined in the freezer. So here we are...over 2 years later. Needless to say hes not quite his grand self as a result.

BUT, Philip Soucy Studios did an amazing job. Detail is awesome...can see most of his scars. Nailed the eyes! Amazing piece of art and Im thrilled to have shared with my dysfunctional OB family.
ttha_aggie_09
BoerneGator
AG
Damned impressive! You're to be congratulated!
CSTXAg92
AG
Beautiful animal, and great story!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.