Outdoors
Sponsored by

I'm tired of waiting... announcing this and see if yall can get Texags to sign off

11,585 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
TheEyeGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Aaaaaaaaand.... Just got off the phone with Brandon and Logan... good to go with some changes. We'll drop Texags off of the logo itself. Lawyers/liability/etc just a little more than Texags staff want to involve but we take the current logo, drop Texags off and then make "The Outdoor Board" more prominent and we'll be good to go.

So, here's where we are on this:

Mill lower
Serialize/engrave heavy parts
KGGunCoat AgCam - staff member is getting taught how to do that at KG right now so we'll be doing that in house
Engrave logo
One other part that should be coming in that I'm holding off on announcing... the barrel. Something up my sleeve on that that I hope will be in shortly.

So, the gun...

Armadillo Upper/Lower - custom milled to fit the upper
Fail Zero BCG
ALG ACT Trigger - if I can find a really good deal on something else, I'll jump on something better. I'm watching
Overmold Ergo Grip
Tenatively putting an ACS stock on it. May pump that up to a URX
Barrel.... hopefully announcing something soon on this.
Handguard - mulling this one now. We shall see
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
After this, we'll also do a run of lowers... probably Aeros... with the logo on it and then mags with the lower engraved on it. Stay tuned.
The Wonderer
AG
Damn lawyers always ruining a good time.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The Wonderer said:

Damn lawyers always ruining a good time.

Bunch of ****ing *****s
rally-cap
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

After this, we'll also do a run of lowers... probably Aeros... with the logo on it and then mags with the lower engraved on it. Stay tuned.
I have a feeling this thread is going to cost me a lot of money...

I'm going to need at least one lower, and several mags.

If you are taking suggestions/input, could you look at doing the logos on the Aero M4E1 lowers? The newer ones with larger magwells and integral trigger guard?

*Edit - Nevermind, I forgot they added a massive "A" on the M4E1 magwell, not much room there for another logo*
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Big_E_Ag said:

TheEyeGuy said:

I have a feeling this thread is going to cost me a lot of money...

I'm going to need at least one lower, and several mags.

If you are taking suggestions/input, could you look at doing the logos on the Aero M4E1 lowers? The newer ones with larger magwells and integral trigger guard?
If that's the consensus of what most want, we can run that. I'm agreeable, really. And I probably will have an option on those to black out the engraving. So, deep set engraving then blacked out so it's there but not in your face.
18 USC 3056 Ag
AG
highvelocity said:

shut up and take my money

This.
Fore warned is fore armed.
wadd96
AG
18 USC 3056 Ag said:

highvelocity said:

This.
And this!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
aggiepublius
AG
And the beneficiary of the money - did I miss that announcement?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
aggiepublius said:

And the beneficiary of the money - did I miss that announcement?
Still working on logistics of that one.
bearamedic99
AG
I'd like to suggest Ronald McDonald house or Fisher House Foundation for our charity.
aggie4231
AG
How about Jimbo's charity/foundation?
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Kenneth_2003
AG
wadd96 said:

18 USC 3056 Ag said:

highvelocity said:

This.
And this!
Still this!
Jefe07
AG
In for two.
ChampsAg
In for 4
JWeezy08
AG
In for 4
45-70Ag
AG
Is this where i post my routing and account numbers
Average Joe
AG
Irish_Man said:

Is this where i post my routing and account numbers
PM that to me and I'll take care of it for you.
Average Joe
AG
Can I just donate the money to the cause? I don't know if I can take anymore losses after baseball season, and I never win those things.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Legal beavers on this... may make it easier. If I set up some sort of donation deal and people just donated to it, and after we got X dollars in it, I did a give away... would that still be considered a raffle? Trying to figure out how to make this work without getting in trouble. Wheels are already moving on this, just AgCam may make this take just a bit to make sure Michael does a badass job on it.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Legal beavers on this... may make it easier. If I set up some sort of donation deal and people just donated to it, and after we got X dollars in it, I did a give away... would that still be considered a raffle? Trying to figure out how to make this work without getting in trouble. Wheels are already moving on this, just AgCam may make this take just a bit to make sure Michael does a badass job on it.
Other option... this would mean less for charity but everyone would get something... if I sold engraved magazines for X number of dollars with there being a random one chosen as a winner getting the rifle, would that be Kosher? Maybe just throw a "magic ticket" in one that had the gun?
Average Joe
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Other option... this would mean less for charity but everyone would get something... if I sold engraved magazines for X number of dollars with there being a random one chosen as a winner getting the rifle, would that be Kosher? Maybe just throw a "magic ticket" in one that had the gun?
I don't know about the legality, but I like that idea. I am definitely getting a lower and some magazines.
aggiepublius
AG
Not an attorney but a previous occupation put me the middle of this same conversation years ago and had to research it extensively and seek lawyer's opinion. I haven't looked at it in about a decade so there may have been a few minor tweaks to the state law but believe it is largely the same.

I believe the charity itself has to be the one selling the tickets and conducting the raffle, so neither of the options you are suggesting would be legal.

Based on this from the AG office -
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/agency/weeklyag/2004/0604raffles.pdf

Quote:

The Act defines the types of organizations that can hold raffles. In general a qualified organization is defined as:
  • A nonprofit association organized primarily for religious purposes that has been in existence in Texas for at least ten years.
  • A nonprofit voluntary emergency medical service that does not pay its members other than nominal compensation.
  • A nonprofit volunteer fire department that operates firefighting equipment, provides fire-fighting services, and does not pay its members other than nominal compensation.
Other organizations may qualify. You can hold a raffle if your nonprofit organization:
  • is at least three years old;
  • has a 501(c) tax exemption;
  • does not distribute income to its members, officers or governing body;
  • does not devote a substantial part of its activities to attempting to influence legislation; and
  • does not participate in any political campaign.

These are the ONLY organizations allowed to hold raffles in Texas. Any other type of organization, business or individual conducting a raffle in Texas would be doing so illegally.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/charities-nonprofits-charitable-raffles
Quote:

• Raffle tickets may not be advertised statewide or through paid advertisements. Each raffle ticket must state: 1) the name of the organization conducting the raffle; 2) the address of the organization or of a named officer of the organization; 3) the ticket price; 4) a general description of each prize having a value of more than $10; and 5) the date on which the raffle prize(s) will be awarded.

A lot more here:
http://guides.sll.texas.gov/raffles-contests-and-sweepstakes
bearamedic99
AG
Well then, let's start a 501C now so we can do this official in 3 years
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Well then, let's start a 501C now so we can do this official in 3 years
Read my mind two nights ago.
AgLawman
AG
Pick the charity. Let them know what your proposal entails. Print the tickets to comply with the AG opinion. Sell the tickets through your store.
aggiepublius
AG
I had forgotten about the no advertising state-wide or would have mentioned it before. I think that is the biggest issue for holding one for a website since the web is global. IIRC the reasoning is that raffles could be so easily manipulated and since participating requires buying a ticket, it is smarter to keep them local.

While I understand that reasoning, I think it may no longer comports to reality of the world we are in. I've seen a number of VFD and others post on facebook or at least there members do. But that is against law as currently written. Class A misdemeanor for conductor and class C for purchasers.

Sweepstakes are a different story but then not only do a number of strict Texas rules come into play but the main laws are federal.
rally-cap
AG
Average Joe said:

TheEyeGuy said:

TheEyeGuy said:

I don't know about the legality, but I like that idea. I am definitely getting a lower and some magazines.
I'm down with this option. Everyone wins, and someone wins more.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Big_E_Ag said:

Average Joe said:

TheEyeGuy said:

TheEyeGuy said:

I'm down with this option. Everyone wins, and someone wins more.
I mean, look at the knife grab bags... there was obviously a huge variation in what was in each box. Each had a specific minimum value but a couple of you guys got like $200 worth of knives and most got around $90-110. So, with purchasing magazines, if one random one happens to come with a free badass rifle... is that still considered a raffle since you're buying a tangible product? I mean, who's to say that I'm not just charging $60 for a custom engraved magazine?
Average Joe
AG
I bet the only reason any of any of this would be illegal is if the IRS wants their cut. Otherwise, I'm sure no one else cares.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
So, here's the thing... I am 100% on board with letting a group handle the raffle but if it can't be advertised statewide then it's a no go anyways. Another thought, let me get this thing built then... what if we auction it off and let the winner pick who the charity is? I hate one person possibly being on the hook for ALL of the donation and probably won't be able to donate as much but... it works and no one can get a misdemeanor on it?
aggiepublius
AG
IRS has other ways to get their pound of flesh but that is point. Whoever does the giving away is going to have to send the winner a 1099.

The background on why Texas regulates the state wants to keep people from being fleeced by these type of scams that used to be common in the past. They also want to ensure that the proceeds go to a legitimate charity purposes.

If the goal is promoting a new product or getting a company's name out there, most of the time this has to be done as a sweepstakes or giveaway. Raffles designed by the state to drive most of benefits - monetary and otherwise e.g. publicity - to the charity, not to the one donating. That is supposed to be out of the "goodness" of the donor's "heart".

Hate that this interferes with the fun but those are the rules put in place.
Average Joe
AG
Just include a coupon for one free rifle with one of the magazines.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Average Joe said:

Just wanting to make sure that's 100% ok. Will be talking to someone tomorrow about that, hopefully.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Average Joe said:

Just wanting to make sure that's 100% ok. Will be talking to someone tomorrow about that, hopefully.

It's 100% OK... As long as it makes it into my box.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.