Outdoors
Sponsored by

Yearly flip flop thread

9,002 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by trutexag89
IJones23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UGGs
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Me too.

In February I sent an old pair back to the U.S. with a mission team for Chacos to put new straps and soles on them. $36 for the straps, $40 for the soles. After the work was done, I got the bill and it said $36 total. I was afraid they hadn't put new soles and didn't want them to come back to Zambia without, so I called their customer service number. A lady answered and as I told her why I was calling, she said my shoes were on her desk. When I asked about the new soles, she said they noticed some workmanship defects on the existing soles so they resoled at no charge. Newish Chacos for $36!
Stat Monitor Repairman
Volcomm makes good flip flops.
cheeky
AG
Cobian. The west coast knows flip flops.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Another vote for rainbow flip flops. I think mine are close to 8 years old too. If you get them wet often enough they stop staining your feet.

And after they dry out you can mink oil them like a boot and it will seal them. Been doing that with mine for the past few years.
76Ag
AG
I don't understand how you keep flip flops on your feet. I have never worn them. Besides, I want more protection for my feet that they provide. They seem sort of metro sexual and girly to me anyway.
Hoss
AG
I don't think I've worn flip flops since I was about 12, but if I were gonna buy some they'd cost about $5.99 at Academy. No need to pay any more than that. If you're doing anything more than wearing them to the pool or the beach then just wear shoes.
PetrolAg
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I'll second this. I wear the Volcom Recliners and they are the most comfortable flips I have owned and they meet all of your criteria.

https://www.amazon.com/Volcom-Mens-Recliner-Sandal-Combo/dp/B0736JCXM5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1529328932&sr=8-5&keywords=volcom+recliner
Fort Worth Realtor
AG
I just picked up a pair of the Hari Maris (Nokona baseball glove leather) from backcountry dot com. They are everything I thought they would be.
AnScAggie
AG
Olukai or Sanuk and you won't be wrong.
schmellba99
AG
76Ag said:

I don't understand how you keep flip flops on your feet. I have never worn them. Besides, I want more protection for my feet that they provide. They seem sort of metro sexual and girly to me anyway.
Same here, flip flops don't work well with me. Sandals, on the other hand, different story. Wear them every chance I get.
Caliber
AG
76Ag said:

I don't know, wearing flip flops seems much less girly than complaining about what other people are wearing....
DallasAggies01
AG
Olukai
45-70Ag
AG
I wear crocs flip flops
Most comfortable "shoe" I've ever owned. Unless I'm at work or doing something where i could hurt myself in flip flops, that's all i wear.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
76Ag said:

Unless you're trying to run in them I don't understand how a grown-ass man can't keep flip-flops on their feet. I can't wear flip-flops to the office otherwise I'd wear them non-stop.

And flip-flops being "metro sexual and girly" doesn't compute at all.
rather be fishing
AG
You don't wear socks and tennis shoes to the beach do you?
DWF402
S
There are two seasons. Flip flop season and boot season. As soon as it is warm enough, out come the flip flops. My preference is Reef Fannings (the ones with the bottle opener on the bottom). I wear mine every day, even to work and they are very comfortable. Mine usually last about 18 months because I wear them about 10 months out of the year. I am currently on my 8th pair.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
DWF402 said:

There are two seasons. Flip flop season and boot season. As soon as it is warm enough, out come the flip flops. My preference is Reef Fannings (the ones with the bottle opener on the bottom). I wear mine every day, even to work and they are very comfortable. Mine usually last about 18 months because I wear them about 10 months out of the year. I am currently on my 8th pair.

The beauty of living in Texas is that it's warm enough for flip-flops 12 months out of the year. We measure the time it's too cold in days not months.
76Ag
AG
I was not complaining about what other people wear. I just wrote that I did not wear them. I'm down a toe and I don't want to lose another one. I never learned to do whatever must be done to keep them on the foot.
rlb28
AG
Ralphie May on flip flops

May he rest in peace
JSKolache
AG
Love me some mandals
Signel
AG
Olukai from nordstrom rack... $30 bucks for the $80 flip flops.
texags08
AG
highvelocity said:

My ring got stolen. So, yeah, I'll let you reevaluate your comment

No need to re-evaluate. You took it the way you did, not sure why.
Yellerjacket
DWF402 said:

Oh man. Will you talk to my wife for me? It drives her crazy when I tell her I don't need any more shoes. I have boots, flip flops and tennis shoes that I only wear to work out in.
Sazerac
AG
Prefer slides instead of flops. Merrel
High quality and last forever.
CSTXAg92
AG
Used to be huge Cobian fan. Still am. But I've now evolved.

On a trip to Matagorda we stopped by WalMart in Bay City for a kids rod & reel (ended up getting the Spider Man model). On the way to that section of the store I walked past what must have been a 10' x 5' x 3' display filled with flip flops. All colors, all sizes. For $0.99 a pair. Couldn't believe my eyes. $0.99 must be a misprint. So I asked. No, $0.99 is the correct price I was told. So I went through the display and bought 10 pair in a few different colors - black, grey, and navy blue. I figured at $0.99 a pair, they were basically wear once or twice and you'd have to throw them away.

The first pair lasted me almost 2.5 years. When they finally were shot, I threw them in the recycling bin, and pulled out a fresh pair from the garage. Not sure how long this 2nd pair will last me, but I'm well beyond year 1 and there are no signs of them giving up. And after they do, I've got another 8 pair to go through. At this pace, I'm almost certain the material will begin to dry rot before I get to the 10th pair. Yes, they're 100% rubber, and very basic. No fancy leather, fabric, or stitching. But I love the simplicity, and of course the price. So put me down as one vote for the $0.99 flip flops from WalMart.
Saltwater Assassin
AG
TRIDENT said:

Another vote for Simms
Another for Simms; but they run a little small fyi
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
Stat Monitor Repairman
PetrolAg said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I'll second this. I wear the Volcom Recliners and they are the most comfortable flips I have owned and they meet all of your criteria.

https://www.amazon.com/Volcom-Mens-Recliner-Sandal-Combo/dp/B0736JCXM5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1529328932&sr=8-5&keywords=volcom+recliner
You got me. I've been out flip-flopped here.

That model you got looks 5x better.

Seems like that design would drain off water from the footbed.
PorkEatingCrusader
https://www.viktos.com/products/ptxf
Silvy
AG
Tiddies
Signel
AG
50% off Volcom sitewide coupon today. I snagged a backup pair of their flip flops for $14 with free shipping.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11711499-volcom-sitewide-coupon-apparel-footwear-accessories-more-50-off-free-shipping
PlanoAg98
AG
Seriously, these are the best yard work sandals.

Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Signel said:

50% off Volcom sitewide coupon today. I snagged a backup pair of their flip flops for $14 with free shipping.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11711499-volcom-sitewide-coupon-apparel-footwear-accessories-more-50-off-free-shipping
Know what I didn't need? A new pair of flip flops. Know what I just bought? A new pair of flip flops. Thanks.
PlanoAg98
AG
I couldn't find any on the Volcom site worth buying even at 50% off.
Max Power
AG
I recently converted from Reef to Sanuk, never going back.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.