Outdoors
Sponsored by

Outdoor kitchen

10,764 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AnScAggie
GrimesCoAg95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am considering an outdoor kitchen. I wanted to ask folks here if they really use it and what components they recommend. I am thinking grill, burner, and sink.

Also if you have one, is it metal studs or masonry?

Thanks
big ben
AG
Add a flattop for different ways to cook burgers, cheese steaks, hibachi etc.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
1. There needs to be a pool.
2. Beer fridge.
3. Grill.
4. Smoker.
5. Table.
6. Audio/visual system
7. Fire pit
8. Ceiling Fans.
9. Hammock
10. Swedish Bikini Team
11. Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Team
12. Twelfth Man.
Enviroag02
AG
Most will say you probably don't need a sink and I would agree. It also adds costs and complexity with water supply and drain. I DIY'd my outdoor kitchen with a 3 burner grill, large copper kamado, bar top with fire feature and plenty of built in storage. It's covered in natural thin stone veneer with a stained concrete countertop with half bullnose edge. It's 18 and 20 gauge galvanized steel, not the cheap stuff you get at big box stores. Here is a build thread I did not too long ago.

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2948384/last#last
Aggieterri
AG
Huge mistake if you don't install a small fridge and an ice machine My two most valuable items
DeWrecking Crew
I like my ice machine, fridge, counter top burner, and in-counter double walled ice chest, and the sink has been useful...the two things I don't use, in-counter cutting board and my big 18" burner for big pots.

I built a spot for my egg, but neglected to put power there. I then discovered temp controllers after the fact and have to run an extension cord over there. Bottom line, run power everywhere, even if you don't think it is needed there.

Spend extra on good fans...

Oh, and don't put a projector, worthless, even at night
GrimesCoAg95
AG
It is a new house so I put water, drain, gas, and electrical nearby. I go back and forth on the refrigerator. Sounds like folks on here recommend it.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
That is a cool kitchen. Do you use the grill or egg more? Why both?
AnScAggie
AG
I would agree that storage, refrigeration and ice are probably the most important things, and then your cooking areas. My outdoor kitchen has: BGE, 3 burners gas grill with 2 side burners, refrigerator, ice maker, sink, beverage cooler, bar station, drawer bank, and built in trash can. If I ever do another one I will add more storage drawers and not add a trash can or bar station. When we did ours it seemed like there was going to be a lot of storage when looking at the access doors for the grill, sink, and bar station, however, IMO those are not ideal because things get dirty and we had to use plastic containers to keep dust, bugs, etc out.
snod85
AG
In the middle of my build right now. Large BGE, XL BGE, two bull power burners for fish frying, and an EVO 30G griddle thingy. already had an exterior hot and cold water facet on that wall and the sewer clean-out was close so I am installing a sink and ice tray but could live without those if it made things a lot harder/more expensive. I had kinda planned for this when we built the house a few years ago. Having the water and electricity "stubbed out" and the slab poured makes things easier on mine.
FIDO*98*
AG
I have a BGE and a gas grill. If I had a do over, I would gave done a Blaze Built in Griddle instead of the gas grill or if you have room all 3.
snod85
AG
Plus one on the storage drawers. Thats what finally drove me to start mine. Got tired of seeing the charcoal bags, lighter, and assorted stuff on the patio, patio tables and the like. Really looking forward to having a clean look. I went with Bull brand on my drawers and doors but I bet most stainless outdoor kitchen stuff is about the same.
DeWrecking Crew
All my stuff in Bull, been 4 years, so far so good
drummer0415
AG
I approve of items 10 and 11.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
drummer0415 said:

I approve of items 10 and 11.

I am glad someone does!!
txaggie02
AG
Our patio and kitchen build from a few years ago....

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2497675
Señor Chang
AG
What ice machine(s) do y'all have?
reddog90
AG
Can yall recommend decent patio fans? Trying to stay way from something like a big ass fan because of cost.
AnScAggie
AG
Scotsman. Make sure you get the outdoor rated ones. Mine is clear ice, so it's not frozen as solid as the opaque ice. Been great so far.
AnScAggie
AG
Fanimation
Caliber
AG
Put a Memphis pellet grill in plus a flat top grill.

The Memphis will get to 650 or 700 depending on model and is nearly as easy as gas but gives a better taste. The flat top gives you some extra versatility for different things.

As mentioned by some, the sink is not a critical item. Since you already have the drainage and supply covered, I'd probably go ahead and throw it in.

I personally wouldn't put in a fridge, I know other people on both sides of the issue. My dad didn't have good luck with his, forget which brand now, but kept burning up control boards. Also, just wasn't utilized enough when there was already a full size drink fridge in the garage. I personally would rather have a full size garage fridge, much more space to keep things stocked in. I do like the idea of doing a built in icechest on the bar top though. However, If I need them closer, i don't have an issue throwing some drinks in a soft side and sitting them right next to where I want them.

Hadn't thought about the ice machine before, but that does sound like a very nice to have.
AnScAggie
AG
Here are some pics of my cabana and outdoor kitchen.

Daddy-O5
AG
I've always wondered what heaven was going to be like.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Got dam
AnScAggie
AG
Thanks. It took us a lot of years to be able to get that.
Daddy-O5
AG
I'm sure well earned/deserved. Beautiful place.
reddog90
AG
Who was your patio contractor?
reddog90
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I have a BGE and a gas grill. If I had a do over, I would gave done a Blaze Built in Griddle instead of the gas grill or if you have room all 3.
Maybe dumb, but what do you use the griddle for? I have a Big Joe. If I were to do a kitchen, I would definitely have a built in shelf for the grill but I'm not sure what I would do with a gas grill or griddle.
BCStalk
I don't have an outdoor kitchen but we have a griddle. It's awesome for fajitas. We grill the meat over a flame, saut onions on the griddle, and then mix it all together on the griddle to finish it out. Also heat the tortillas up. Just one example, but I'm "Mexican" so this is the only reason I needed.
BCStalk
....Those images just loaded. I can't even find the right words to describe how amazing that looks.
FIDO*98*
AG
reddog90 said:

FIDO*98* said:

Maybe dumb, but what do you use the griddle for? I have a Big Joe. If I were to do a kitchen, I would definitely have a built in shelf for the grill but I'm not sure what I would do with a gas grill or griddle.

I use my Blackstone griddle for too many things to mention. Smash Burgers, any breakfast thing you'd get in a diner, Hibachi, etc. Do a google image search for Blackstone griddle and you'll get some ideas.
AnScAggie
AG
Koby Rule Construction. He did a great job on the cabana. We had him do some house stuff while he was working here too, I'd highly recommend him for the outdoors, indoors meh.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I have a Blackstone griddle too. We use it when camping for everything. Eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, burgers, and pretty much everything else. Based on the advice of the thread, I think I will add a griddle. I may do that instead if the burner since many say they don't use that.

I don't have an egg now and am not sure what I would use it for. I have a smoker for brisket and am adding a grill/griddle. What does everyone use the egg for? I have a large family so I have been unsure of them.
AnScAggie
AG
The egg is great for cooking and keeping moisture in. Ribs to brisket and everything in between is juicier on the egg than a regular pit/smoker combo. That being said, I cannot get the same smoke ring on a brisket that a traditional smoker can.
Chalupa Batman
AG
AnScAggie said:

Here are some pics of my cabana and outdoor kitchen.

Hey guys, I found MFBarnes!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.