Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Finished DIY Outdoor Kitchen! Pics!

7,541 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agcrock2005
Enviroag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an underground propane tank so my outdoor kitchen features a 3 burner Saber propane grill, a large copper Grill Dome, a drop in bartop propane fire feature with copper fire glass, stained concrete countertops, 12" bar overhang, plenty of counter prep space, 18 gauge steel framing, stained wood interior cabinets, and natural thin stone veneer. Just finished it this past week!

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Ya, that's nice and all but did you do it in 1 week on a diet of Red Bull and bud light?

- looks awesome. Great work!
Gary79Ag
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Ya, that's nice and all but did you do it in 1 week on a diet of Red Bull and bud light?

- looks awesome. Great work!
There'll never be another attempt like that, ever!
Enviroag02
AG
Ha! I actually started last August and just now finished it. It's been a long process!
Moscin
AG
Looks nice...I'm getting ready to pour my countertop and stain; yours looks good, may need some advice.
Enviroag02
AG
Email me at username@yahoo. Happy to help in any way I can. Where are you located?
Sazerac
AG
Followed your other post. Really impressed with the concrete!

I was trying to do that for a fireplace remodel and couldn't get anyone in Houston to point me in the right direction. Ended up just doing a custom stone slab in 3 pcs.
Enviroag02
AG
Thanks! I will be honest that I got extremely lucky with the concrete. I had great materials and a great plan; however, mistakes were made. I had two friends help mix, pour, and finish the concrete. I allowed one of my friends to finish it since he had poured a countertop before. He immediately started working with the steel trowel instead of the magnesium trowel. I tried to get him to stop but he insisted he had done it before. Well my top had a soft dusty film due to the bleed water being trapped. So I had to spend a few days with a random orbital and diamond pads grinding it off. Turns out that was the best thing to do because with only one color of stain the variations in the concrete below the creamy surface was what allowed me to get the really cool colors and effects. Even then I got crazy lucky with the stain as well. As soon as a pushed the lever on my hand sprayer the spray pattern came out like a cone, heavy on the outside light on the inside. So in order to get good coverage I had to overlap light areas with the outer rings of the spray pattern. At that point I didn't feel like I could stop and adjust the pattern. The stain application took a grand total of 5 minutes! Also, when I sealed it little fibers from my roller got embedded into the sealer. Those came out with some scrubbing and subsequent coats of sealer. I just put a coat of concrete wax in it and they look even better! I say all this to show that while concrete is a complicated permanent thing, everything doesn't have to go perfectly to plan in order to get something amazing! Sure, I know what I did wrong now and won't make those mistakes again but I'm perfectly happy with what I have and not a single person would know it was all dumb luck...well until now!
reddog90
AG
That looks fantastic. Any progress pictures during construction? Are you satisfied with the dimensions of everything?
Bob_Ag
AG
Very nice! Stone work looks great.
Enviroag02
AG
We are satisfied with the dimensions. I initially thought it was going to be too big for space, but its just right. We have eaten at the bar the past three evenings. Too warm and windy for the fire feature but that will come in handy later this year. More pics below.

First couple of steel framing modules going in and adjusting layout

Bar top support in, framing near complete, and starting interior cabinets

Cement board going on

Sides covered in cement board before installing the top

Cement Board completed and mortaring the joints, cement board on top as well with an overhang to allow for stone veneer

Inside of a cabinet. Not the best, but it was easy and it works for me

Edge forms on with temporary bracing for the overhange

Closeup of mesh and mesh clips

Right after concrete pour

What the countertop looked like before grinding (bad)

Portion after grinding, getting a much more consistent finish while exposing some aggregate

Shot after stain but before sealer and before placing fire feature

Stone done, but doors not on (didn't get photos of scratch coat on top of cement board, followed by application of natural thin stone veneer)

Doors on and grills installed, but no grouting around the gaps on the doors

Finished product! I still need to acid wash the stone to bring out some of the color and get the yard dust and effloresence off.

v

BrazosDog02
AG
What's the flaming flowerbed on top of the counter for?

(yes, serious question)
Enviroag02
AG
It's a fire feature...surely can't be serious?
TexAg1987
Marshmallows.
Enviroag02
AG
Thought about that, but when I was a kid I went to blow a marshmallow out that caught on fire and the hangar it was on sprung back and planted a flaming ball of napalm on my right cheek. So no marshmallows will be roasted!
TexAg1987
Warming brandy?
Martin Q. Blank
BrazosDog02 said:

What's the flaming flowerbed on top of the counter for?

(yes, serious question)
You must not watch Yard Crashers.
Sazerac
AG
details on the metal framing system you used?
Enviroag02
AG
BBQ Coach http://www.bbqcoach.com/

I got from them:

90 degree module, diagonal sink module, 3' Open egg module, 52" grill cutout, 12" overhang kit, hidden bar supports, 3 door kits, 3 doors, 4' straight module, a 3' straight module, and all the screws, connector plates, shims, square packages, etc. Total was $1900

All the end frames of each module are fully welded and 18 gauge. Much better stuff than you can get at the big box stores and you get access to install videos and 24/7 support. I sent a couple questions via email and got responses within a couple hours.
reddog90
AG
What an awesome project. What mesh forms did you use on the concrete counters? Ballpark what did the whole project cost you? We're doing a covered patio in a couple weeks but skipped an outdoor kitchen because I was told it would probably be around $15k. Hadn't considered doing the kitchen myself since I don't have any experience doing anything like that.
Moscin
AG
Located in B/CS
Enviroag02
AG
The forms are from Concrete Countertop Solutions. They are the half bull nose form but they have full bull, fancy, double fancy, square, etc. https://www.concretecountertopsolutions.com

The fiberglass mesh is also from them along with the clips to hold it at the right height. I also used their Liquicrete additive and the standard Quikrete Sand topping mix. It was flowable enough to flow right through the mesh.

I'm all in at about $6,500 including the cost of the grill, egg, and fire feature.

water turkey
Very nice
reddog90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BiXd6BdgKv5
Enviroag02
AG
Pretty cool!
agcrock2005
AG
Great outdoor kitchen! I'm looking at building one in near future (next summer) at house we're currently building. Did you use some sort of online tool that showed dimensions/supplies needed, etc.? I know dimensions of my patio and would like to mess around with what will fit, etc. Was hoping there was some sort of amateur online tool that would provide for such. Thanks.
sanitariex
AG
I'm in the exact same scenario, I've actually lost sleep over measurements, placement, dimensions; all to determine where to plumb the gas line. I sat down and drew everything on paper, then took to Google Sketchup for a rough idea, still need to play with it some more to get a better, more exact idea. But this is what I came up with. Plan to put it all together next summer as well.

I would like to take a minute to thank the OP. I've read through his build plus others on the forums multiple times and plan to use the same products; BBQ Coach, Z concrete counter forms, etc.

agcrock2005
AG
Congrats on being way more prepared/smart than me! You planning on building yourself or getting someone to do it? What area are you in? I'm in DFW and am just getting started.
sanitariex
AG
I'm planning on doing it all myself, and we're building in North/East Mckinney. I've watched enough YouTube videos over the last few months, plus I have enough experience to do it all.
agcrock2005
AG
sanitariex said:

I'm planning on doing it all myself, and we're building in North/East Mckinney. I've watched enough YouTube videos over the last few months, plus I have enough experience to do it all.
Congrats! You will save a ton of money I'd imagine. We're building on the opposite side of DFW in Northlake. I have no experience but am thinking of ways to bribe my friends that do!
sanitariex
AG
Sounds like a plan!
Old School Brother
agcrock2005 said:

sanitariex said:

Congrats! You will save a ton of money I'd imagine. We're building on the opposite side of DFW in Northlake. I have no experience but am thinking of ways to bribe my friends that do!
Where in Northlake? Canyon Falls, Pecan Square?
agcrock2005
AG
Old School Brother said:

agcrock2005 said:

sanitariex said:

The Ridge. Brand new. Not sure anyone living there yet.
Old School Brother
agcrock2005 said:

Old School Brother said:

agcrock2005 said:

sanitariex said:

Haha, that's the one I didn't mention because I didn't think anyone lived there yet. The front entrance looks nice. I've watched them build it over the last year. I live in one of the acre lot neighborhoods off 407. Welcome to Northlake.
agcrock2005
AG
Old School Brother said:

agcrock2005 said:

Old School Brother said:

agcrock2005 said:

sanitariex said:

Haha, that's the one I didn't mention because I didn't think anyone lived there yet. The front entrance looks nice. I've watched them build it over the last year. I live in one of the acre lot neighborhoods off 407. Welcome to Northlake.
Thanks! Looking forward to it. I really don't think anyone lives there yet. Lot of activity now. Yesterday when I signed some paperwork out there I counted 18 foundations either going in or they had just been poured.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.