Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tractors for Sale

5,740 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chocolatelabs
chocolatelabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinning out our Tractors.

Price dropped

2001 Kubota B7300. Runs good. 254 hrs.
Located in Amarillo.
$6900
Includes Post hole digger and 4' brush hog.

John Deer 4430
Located in Spearman, TX
We can discuss Price but somewhere around $12k
Runs good but needs a new rear tire.
brush hog not included.

Email me at dahale2517 at sbcglobal dot net
TxLawDawg
AG

I might be interested in the 950. I'll shoot you an email if so.
BoerneGator
AG
What ****** does the 4430 have?
Long Live Sully
AG
Haha.. You said ******
BoerneGator
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Haha.. You said ******
How re tarted! That's funny
Long Live Sully
AG
So I am back in town next week.. Say Thursday?
BoerneGator
AG
Call me
CanyonAg77
AG
I only see one gear shift, so my first guess on the trans is syncro-range. But the shifter is not in the same spot as one with a cab, so who knows. I only see one shifter, so Quad Range is out. It's possible that it's a power shift, but I'm guessing that the guy who wouldn't spring for a cab would not spring for a power shift.

So, are those actual hours?????? Or did the hour meter die, or is it 10,138 hours?

I don't know of many people collecting 4430s, but not many were sold without the Sound Guard body (cab)
BoerneGator
AG
Yeah, I'd be interested if a PS. And noticed the extremely low time as well.

What's the HP on a 4430? About 105? Similar to a 2950?
CanyonAg77
AG
125 hp
CanyonAg77
AG
BoerneGator said:

Yeah, I'd be interested if a PS. And noticed the extremely low time as well.

What's the HP on a 4430? About 105? Similar to a 2950?
138 hours in 45 years might be trouble. Depends on how it was stored.
chocolatelabs
AG
We bought it off someone 8 yrs or so ago.

I'd have to say hours are rolled over.

We didn't buy it new so not sure on trans
BoerneGator
AG
chocolatelabs said:

Is the transmission like a standard or an automatic? Does it have a manual clutch?
CanyonAg77
AG
BoerneGator said:

chocolatelabs said:

Is the transmission like a standard or an automatic? Does it have a manual clutch?
All 4430 Deeres have a clutch pedal. On the power shift, the name is actually "inching pedal". Quick 4430 transmission guide:

Quad Range: Two gear levers, one marked A B C D, the other 1 2 3 4 1R 2R

Syncro Range: One lever, complex shift pattern with multiple gates

Power Shift: One lever, Y from park to straight 1-8 shift gate, or to straight 1-4 reverse
EskimoJoe
CanyonAg77 said:

125 hp

125.88 according to the manual.
CanyonAg77
AG
EskimoJoe said:

CanyonAg77 said:

125 hp
125.88 according to the manual.
Well, darn. I'm wrong. I will have to retreat from the board in shame.

Or not.

Long Live Sully
chocolatelabs
AG
My dad says it has one hear shifter and is like our old 4010.

So I think it is the power shift.

I'll grt a pic to confirm. Sorry I'm 8 hrs away from it
CanyonAg77
AG
chocolatelabs said:

My dad says it has one hear shifter and is like our old 4010.
So I think it is the power shift.
I'll grt a pic to confirm. Sorry I'm 8 hrs away from it
Hmmmmm, I don't think so, Tim.

Power Shift was introduced on the 4020. I don't believe the 4010 had it as an option.
CanyonAg77
AG
Syncro Range shifter on a 4010

Power shift on a 4020

Quad range (short lever is the throttle)

chocolatelabs
AG
Well hell. Now I have no idea. I'll try t get a picture of it.
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

BoerneGator said:

chocolatelabs said:

All 4430 Deeres have a clutch pedal. On the power shift, the name is actually "inching pedal". Quick 4430 transmission guide:

Quad Range: Two gear levers, one marked A B C D, the other 1 2 3 4 1R 2R

Syncro Range: One lever, complex shift pattern with multiple gates

Power Shift: One lever, Y from park to straight 1-8 shift gate, or to straight 1-4 reverse

I love it when you talk dirty. 20, 30, 40, and 50 series John Deere were my favorites.
CanyonAg77
AG
Dad had the first 4020 Power Shift in the Texas Panhandle. When we kids were in the field, people would stop us at the end of the row and ask to drive it a few rounds.
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I only see one gear shift, so my first guess on the trans is syncro-range. But the shifter is not in the same spot as one with a cab, so who knows. I only see one shifter, so Quad Range is out. It's possible that it's a power shift, but I'm guessing that the guy who wouldn't spring for a cab would not spring for a power shift.

So, are those actual hours?????? Or did the hour meter die, or is it 10,138 hours?

I don't know of many people collecting 4430s, but not many were sold without the Sound Guard body (cab)

Went to visit my cousins in Mississippi one summer in the late 1970s. My dad was in the market for a new tractor at the time so once we hit Greenville, we stopped at damn near every JD dealer in the Delta. Almost every tractor on the lots had no cab and had a power shift. According to my cousins the thinking was the cotton farmers didn't want to spring for a cab because they didn't think the hired help deserved AC. Clutch pedal was also a comfortable place to rest your foot, and they didn't want to have to keep replacing clutches from the hired help riding the clutch pedal. So they paid for the PS transmission. My cousins called it n-proof back then.
EskimoJoe
CanyonAg77 said:

Syncro Range shifter on a 4010

Power shift on a 4020

Quad range (short lever is the throttle)

In the serial number, after the model designation, there will be a letter for the transmission type. The first 4 digits of the serial number will be the model designation, then there will be a P for powershift, H for quadrange, or R for synchroshift.

I luv me some sound idea tractors.
CanyonAg77
AG
I can believe that was the attitude. But they were whistling Dixie if they thought a Power Shift would solve the "riding the clutch" problem. It still has a clutch, you just don't have to use it.

And I was visiting with a JD mechanic once, who put two clutches in a single 4430 series tractor, when the total number of clutch replacements in every other tractor serviced at that dealership was zero.

After the second one, he went out with the hired hand to ride with him and see if he could figure out the problem. The hand lined the tractor up, dropped the plow, opened the throttle and took off down the rows. As soon as everything was up to speed and good, he leaned back in the seat, stretched out his legs....

...and rested his foot on the clutch pedal.
CanyonAg77
AG
EskimoJoe said:

CanyonAg77 said:

In the serial number, after the model designation, there will be a letter for the transmission type. The first 4 digits of the serial number will be the model designation, then there will be a P for powershift, H for quadrange, or R for synchroshift.

You win today's edition of "Tell CA77 something about tractors that he didn't know."

So, question...when they came out with the 15 speed power shift, did they use the same designation?
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I can believe that was the attitude. But they were whistling Dixie if they thought a Power Shift would solve the "riding the clutch" problem. It still has a clutch, you just don't have to use it.

And I was visiting with a JD mechanic once, who put two clutches in a single 4430 series tractor, when the total number of clutch replacements in every other tractor serviced at that dealership was zero.

After the second one, he went out with the hired hand to ride with him and see if he could figure out the problem. The hand lined the tractor up, dropped the plow, opened the throttle and took off down the rows. As soon as everything was up to speed and good, he leaned back in the seat, stretched out his legs....

...and rested his foot on the clutch pedal.

From what I remember the clutch pedal on a power shift was called an "Inching Pedal" by John Deere (or something like that. Mechanic at our dealer recommended avoiding using the clutch pedal on a PS unless absolutely necessary because it would starve certain other areas of hydraulic and lubrication oil.

We had two 4020s with SynchroRange, a 4640 with the Quad Range, and a 4450 with the 15-speed Power shift. The PowerShift always seemed like black magic to me, and I was worried some Rube Goldberg device would fail at any second.
EskimoJoe
CanyonAg77 said:

EskimoJoe said:

CanyonAg77 said:

You win today's edition of "Tell CA77 something about tractors that he didn't know."

So, question...when they came out with the 15 speed power shift, did they use the same designation?

Yes, when the 15 speed powershift was introduced in the 50 series, it replaced the 8 speed and was the only powershift offered so it retained the "P" in the serial number.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm not going to swear I'm right, but I'm pretty sure the "inching pedal" ( I used the same term above) is still a clutch. It has a disk, pressure plate, etc. So we would use it hooking up equipment, starting from a dead stop, etc. We would then shift gears while underway without using the pedal.

I call it a semi-automatic, because you can shift without the clutch, or even pop it in gear from a stop. But you can't stop the tractor while in gear without pushing in the clutch/inching pedal, or the engine will stall.
Burdizzo
AG
Ah yes. I see you used that word too. My apologies. Sometimes I read too fast and skip words.
EskimoJoe
Burdizzo said:

We had two 4020s with SynchroRange, a 4640 with the Quad Range, and a 4450 with the 15-speed Power shift. The PowerShift always seemed like black magic to me, and I was worried some Rube Goldberg device would fail at any second.

The Rube Goldberg device of tractor transmissions that was prone to fail at any given time was the torque amplifier. A reitred tractor mechanic once told me the torque amplifier was the single invention that sold more Deere tractors than any feature John Deere put on their tractors.

My black magic moment came the first time i ran JD 8530 with the CVT transmission. I took off with a 16 row strip till rig at 4 mph full throttle. I looked down to check my fertilizer rates and flow when the engine idled down. I had a couple moments of panic thinking the tractor was going to die but my speed stayed constant. The engine idled back up when i started climbing the hill in the middle of the field.
BoerneGator
AG
Missed this last bit of conversation last nite, but the OP sent me the VIN which is 5404TR.

So, according to Eskimojoe, the R indicates it's a Synchroshift.
EskimoJoe
BoerneGator said:

Missed this last bit of conversation last nite, but the OP sent me the VIN which is 5404TR.

the number you posted doesn't look like the machine serial number. the machine serial number should start out with 4430. that 5404 number looks like it may be the engine number since they used the 404 block in those machines.
BoerneGator
AG
EskimoJoe said:

BoerneGator said:

the number you posted doesn't look like the machine serial number. the machine serial number should start out with 4430. that 5404 number looks like it may be the engine number since they used the 404 block in those machines.
The rest of the number is 520361 RG

Perhaps the OP can post the pic he sent me. I don't know how. I'm am old...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.