Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tractors for Sale

5,678 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chocolatelabs
chocolatelabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Looks like synchro shifter to me.

Serial may be off engine.
CanyonAg77
AG
EskimoJoe said:

BoerneGator said:

Missed this last bit of conversation last nite, but the OP sent me the VIN which is 5404TR.

So, according to Eskimojoe, the R indicates it's a Synchroshift.

the number you posted doesn't look like the machine serial number. the machine serial number should start out with 4430. that 5404 number looks like it may be the engine number since they used the 404 block in those machines.
Agreed.

Hey Joe, are you an Ag, or an OSU alum (guessing by the username)?
CanyonAg77
AG
Yep, definitely syncro and engine serial number. If you look carefully, you can read "John Deere Engine Works" under the paint...which means its been repainted. Not surprising for a tractor closing in on 40 years.

Tractor serial number plate is on rear end, near the PTO shaft, will have "4430" in the number

CanyonAg77
AG
And here's a helpful hint, in case anyone is trying to start the tractor.

Don't replace the twin 6 volt batteries with the same. Get the biggest cranking amps 12 volt battery you can find, and put it in the left hand battery box, nearest the starter. It will start much better.
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Yep, definitely syncro and engine serial number. If you look carefully, you can read "John Deere Engine Works" under the paint...which means its been repainted. Not surprising for a tractor closing in on 40 years.

Tractor serial number plate is on rear end, near the PTO shaft, will have "4430" in the number

But it has less than 200 hours
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

To be fair, the OP did admit the possibility that the hour meter had rolled over 10,000 hours. But I will say, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the hours are correct. The tractor has set outside and weathered, and someone wacked the crap out of the canopy, but it looks relatively clean, otherwise.

Do you see signs of wear or use? I really don't. Again, there is weathering, but little obvious wear that shows 10,138 hours. I'd have to see it up close to know. And it's 110 miles away, so no, I'm not going.

Unless there's a commission involved.

CanyonAg77
AG
BTW, there's nothing wrong with the syncro range for field work. You're not shifting gears as you go through the field. And the gears are grouped, so that 2/5 are together. You plow in 5th, then if you need to turn around at the end, it's easy to drop to 2nd.

The PS if a lot nicer if you're changing speeds/gears a lot.
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

To be fair, the OP did admit the possibility that the hour meter had rolled over 10,000 hours. But I will say, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the hours are correct. The tractor has set outside and weathered, and someone wacked the crap out of the canopy, but it looks relatively clean, otherwise.

Do you see signs of wear or use? I really don't. Again, there is weathering, but little obvious wear that shows 10,138 hours. I'd have to see it up close to know. And it's 110 miles away, so no, I'm not going.

Unless there's a commission involved.

Hard to say without a physical inspection, but from the little I see in the picture the tractor looks pretty clean. The canopy is fiberglass and should be easy to replace. Based on that and the broken lights it would be my guess some one ran it under a low hanging tree. Like I said, easy to fix. I see it has hubs for duals. I wonder if those are available.

My biggest concern is the dirt spot on the cowel. Looks like a fuel or oil leak.
CanyonAg77
AG
Oil, my guess. Seems like there is a blowby hose in that area, or worst case, it would be a power steering line under the dash.
EskimoJoe
CanyonAg77 said:

EskimoJoe said:

BoerneGator said:

Missed this last bit of conversation last nite, but the OP sent me the VIN which is 5404TR.

So, according to Eskimojoe, the R indicates it's a Synchroshift.

the number you posted doesn't look like the machine serial number. the machine serial number should start out with 4430. that 5404 number looks like it may be the engine number since they used the 404 block in those machines.
Agreed.

Hey Joe, are you an Ag, or an OSU alum (guessing by the username)?

OSU alum.
CanyonAg77
AG
Welcome to the board.

Are you aware of the recent designation of the 1945 Oklahoma A&M football team as National Champions? My father-in-law (age 90) is one of the two known surviving members of that team. We only found out about it last year, and took him and my MIL to the OSU/Baylor game, as guests of the OSU athletic department. We had an absolute blast.

EskimoJoe
CanyonAg77 said:

Welcome to the board.

Are you aware of the recent designation of the 1945 Oklahoma A&M football team as National Champions? My father-in-law (age 90) is one of the two known surviving members of that team. We only found out about it last year, and took him and my MIL to the OSU/Baylor game, as guests of the OSU athletic department. We had an absolute blast.

Thanks!

That's a great picture and neat story. Like many football fans outside of Alabama, Ohio state, and the likes, I really wanted to see my alma mater win a national championship in my life but know the odds are slim. well, we got our wish (sort of). I bet your father in law has some great memories from that season playing with Bob Fenimore.

I'm glad you had a good time at the game. We (the alums) try to show our guests and visitors a good time when they visit Stillwater, even though some of our newly acquired t shirt fans may not understand this concept. I know a lot of us were sad to lose the Aggies as conference mates. We enjoyed hosting A&M in Stillwater and also enjoyed the hospitality we received in College Station.
Burdizzo
AG
Oklahoma Aggies are good people. Kansas Aggies are too. They were the two fan bases I missed leaving the BDF.
CanyonAg77
AG
He started talking a lot about his memories after hearing about the NC. Lots of good stories. Send me an email at hotmail (same username) if you want to see more pics
chocolatelabs
AG
Canyon.

Any thoughts on pages or other to advertise these tractors for sale? Facebook pages?

TIA
CanyonAg77
AG
chocolatelabs said:

Canyon.

Any thoughts on pages or other to advertise these tractors for sale? Facebook pages?

TIA
There are Facebook pages for antique tractors, don't know so much about newer ones. Maybe just do a search by the tractor brand and model.

I'd try Craigslist, though expect to get a lot of crap replies. And you may have to use multiple email accounts and different ads. Since I'm between Amarillo and Lubbock, I've tried advertising in both CL sites. Invariably, CL would delete the ads as scams.

https://www.fastline.com/ is a pretty big circulation ad paper. But they seem to cater more to dealers.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/ might get you more exposure to northern buyers

If all else fails, Five Star Auctioneers has a huge consignment sale every August, in Plainview.

http://www.5starauctioneers.com/
EskimoJoe
CanyonAg77 said:

He started talking a lot about his memories after hearing about the NC. Lots of good stories. Send me an email at hotmail (same username) if you want to see more pics

Awesome! Email sent.
Serious Lee
that JD 4430 brought back some good memories. It was the "Big John" on our farm. remember my dad telling me how it could pull my grandma's house down. I thought it was the strongest thing in the world until my uncle got it stuck trying to pull a 9.5' scraper while cleaning out an empty tank
CanyonAg77
AG
One more sales magazine

http://www.aglocatorusa.com/
chocolatelabs
AG
Dropped price on the Kubota if anyone interested.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.