Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Food Recs

3,560 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MaroonSpirit
DeBoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 90-lb boxer/bulldog that is 8+, so our vet considers her to be geriatric. I'm looking for a good brand recommendation for dogs that size/age that isn't $60+ a bag.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
halfbean
AG
Mine do well on Victor brand with glucosamine in the green bag for $41 or so.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Back in another life I managed a Petsmart. You would not believe the amount of crazy that pet food brings out in people. Makes your conspiracy theory people and your left wing nut jobs look mainstream. I don't have any advice for you on food. I have learned to stay the hell out of that mess. Good luck.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We do science diet large breed senior. Been really happy with it and by signing up for amazon subscribe and save it saves a lot and I don't have to go to the store.
03_Aggie
We've been feeding ours Wellness brand. Switched to the old man formula a few years back.
Max Power
AG
We feed our ridgeback victor's salmon/sweet potato, think it's like $55/bag.
RM1993
AG
Plenty of dog food out there with meat as a first ingredient that goes for under $20 per bag.

Can you pay more and get something "healthier"? Sure, but it is a dog.
redass1876
AG
My 11y/o German Shepherd mix does great on regular pedigree. $22/bag at costco
FIDO*98*
AG
Switched from ProPlan to Victor 4 years ago based on advice from the OB. Both Dogs love it, waste is solid, great price, Texas based. Highly recommend
DeBoss
AG
Anyone use the Kirkland Signature food? Comes in at $1/lb which is incredible price.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
reddog90
AG
Dr. Tim's from Chewy.com
powerbelly
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

We do science diet large breed senior. Been really happy with it and by signing up for amazon subscribe and save it saves a lot and I don't have to go to the store.
This.
wadd96
AG
I've been feeding Victor for years... works good for our pups plus I can get it at the feed store when I go get range cubes...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
SoTxAg
AG
Does it make that much difference? I've had several dogs live to 14-15 being fed off the shelf stuff from HEB. My dog growing up in the 70"s ate primarily table scraps and lived to 15. All these new fangled fancy foods turning dogs into prima donnas.
The Pilot
AG
We feed our guy Fromm. It's a little bit pricey but that's what the breeder recommended.
GeeBee
AG
'ol roy
RM1993
AG
SoTxAg said:

Does it make that much difference? I've had several dogs live to 14-15 being fed off the shelf stuff from HEB. My dog growing up in the 70"s ate primarily table scraps and lived to 15. All these new fangled fancy foods turning dogs into prima donnas.
This is my point also.

I would love to see the faces of a lot of folks (not necessarily on this thread) whose dogs eat high-end food, but take them out to a cow pasture and watch them gobble fresh cow mess as fast as they can. Your dog will literally eat sh*t.....yet you pay $100 a month for his kibble?
Swarely
Max Power said:

We feed our ridgeback victor's salmon/sweet potato, think it's like $55/bag.

Are you me?! Change the plural pronouns to singular and that is what I was about to post almost exactly.
redass1876
AG
Is that supposed to be high end or something? The pedigree i buy is less than half that
aggiebrother33
I've fed my boxers Royal canin, it's a bit on the high side but interested in Victors.
jgh85Ag
AG
Yep, we have our lab on the lamb, green bag.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
wadd96
AG
The Victor Beef Meal and Brown Rice does our dogs well... And clocks in at about $0.60/lb at Lyssey and Eckles...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
rather be fishing
AG
I don't think I'd recommend it unless you have a similar issue, but we've been on Royal Canin food to help get both of our dogs into a better bladder pH. It's expensive. It has done the job. We're going to see look into switching them onto a cheaper food.

I don't know that there's great scientific research on it, but I've been told the high calcium concentration in drinking water in Central Texas could be a cause for all the UTIs we've dealt with.
saltydog13
AG
saltydog13
AG
Which victor did you switch to? I'm feeding my lab pro plan, but thinking about switching
FIDO*98*
AG
Performance in the green bag
strohag
AG
Victor Grain Free Ultra Pro. Add about a tablespoon of the wet Victor sweet potato and turkey also. My Weimaraner loves it. Her coat is great and she's never had any stomach or bowel issues at all.
Thisguy1
Those of y'all that switched to Victor, why'd you do it? I'm currently on Pro Plan Savor and it's about 50/bag which seems pretty comparable to Victor.

Also, where do you get it?
44mAG
AG
I feed Diamond Naturals that goes for $31 for a 40lb bag at Tractor Supply. I am impressed with the ingredients and how good my dogs look.

Diamond Naturals
Aggieangler93
AG
My dog is allergic to chicken...and 90 percent of dog foods use the hell out of chicken products, so I am always looking for something without chicken in it. Lately, I am paying the damn $55 for a bag less than 30 lbs, which makes me see red, but is cheaper than the vet bills if we feed her chicken based food.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
44mAG said:

I feed Diamond Naturals that goes for $31 for a 40lb bag at Tractor Supply. I am impressed with the ingredients and how good my dogs look.

Diamond Naturals
Thanks for this. I see some without chicken in them, so I can now give Nutro the bird, and go get some big bags at Tractor supply and try it out. So tired of taking it, when I am just trying to feed my dog!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
will.mcg
AG
exactly! My dog loves the heck out of cow, horse, sheep, dog crap. This is why I refuse to feed $2+/# dog food. Is it "better" for them, most likely.
jgh85Ag
AG
I usually check out this site.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Thisguy1
I can only find Victor on a few websites. Is there anywhere in BCS that sells it or do I have to order the stuff online?
KDubAg
AG
Whatever you decide, check Chewy.com and see if they stock it. Set up auto delivery with the dog food. We actually save about $8 a bag with free delivery every two weeks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.