Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Food Recs

3,570 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MaroonSpirit
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RM1993 said:

SoTxAg said:

Does it make that much difference? I've had several dogs live to 14-15 being fed off the shelf stuff from HEB. My dog growing up in the 70"s ate primarily table scraps and lived to 15. All these new fangled fancy foods turning dogs into prima donnas.
This is my point also.

I would love to see the faces of a lot of folks (not necessarily on this thread) whose dogs eat high-end food, but take them out to a cow pasture and watch them gobble fresh cow mess as fast as they can. Your dog will literally eat sh*t.....yet you pay $100 a month for his kibble?

Yes, I've seen both our dogs eat cow ***** That said, they don't eat it multiple times a day every day. Feeding them better food reduces the smelly dog farts, produces less diarrhea, less vomiting, and their coats look better. So yes, I pay more for something they eat on a daily basis, despite the fact that given the chance they'll eat poo.
RM1993
AG
AggieOO said:

RM1993 said:

SoTxAg said:

Does it make that much difference? I've had several dogs live to 14-15 being fed off the shelf stuff from HEB. My dog growing up in the 70"s ate primarily table scraps and lived to 15. All these new fangled fancy foods turning dogs into prima donnas.
This is my point also.

I would love to see the faces of a lot of folks (not necessarily on this thread) whose dogs eat high-end food, but take them out to a cow pasture and watch them gobble fresh cow mess as fast as they can. Your dog will literally eat sh*t.....yet you pay $100 a month for his kibble?

Yes, I've seen both our dogs eat cow ***** That said, they don't eat it multiple times a day every day. Feeding them better food reduces the smelly dog farts, produces less diarrhea, less vomiting, and their coats look better. So yes, I pay more for something they eat on a daily basis, despite the fact that given the chance they'll eat poo.
My dog eats Beneful with chicken, beef or salmon as the first ingredient it goes for about 13 bucks a bag. The only time he farts is when he gets some table treats. The only time he vomits is when he is actually sick or has eaten something not given to him like a shoelace or some other crap. The only time my dog has diarrhea is when he is actually sick or has had too much people food.

Now, I understand that some dogs have allergies or some other chronic condition that necessitates the feeding of specialized food, but by and large dogs can be perfectly healthy on a much more moderately priced food.
AggieOO
Glad your dog has no issues. We've tried a lot of different types of food, and found some that seems to work best for both the dogs. It's not the most expensive, but not the cheapest either.
jgh85Ag
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I can only find Victor on a few websites. Is there anywhere in BCS that sells it or do I have to order the stuff online?
so you need a vector on Victor?
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
strohag
AG
Chewy.com is great. You can adjust your auto delivery and it shows up at your doorstep. Pricing is great too.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
RM1993 said:

Plenty of dog food out there with meat as a first ingredient that goes for under $20 per bag.

Can you pay more and get something "healthier"? Sure, but it is a dog.
What size bag (lbs) you talking? Grain free? I buy a 30 lb bag for our two boys every 2 weeks or so.
RM1993
AG
Definitely not grain free. 15 lb bag.

I totally understand when a dog has an allergy or some other condition that necessitates feeding specialized dog food. But most dogs don't need that and any extra nutritional benefit from feeding specialized dog food is likely minimized over the course of their life.
AJ02
AG
Victor is good.

We feed Kirkland Nature's Domain grain-free from Costco. Made by the same people that make Taste of the Wild (which is another great brand, but much pricier). You can't be the quality for the price with Nature's Domain. And it's one of the few that has pre- and probiotics in it.
Post removed:
by user
AJ02
AG
Mine is grain-free (because one dog gets colitis frequently) and chicken-free (because the other dog is allergic).
Mockingbird Ag
AG
Victors is available at America's Country Store in Wellborn and I've seen it at the feed store at the bend on Texas Avenue in Bryan.
SquirrellyDan
AG
MaroonSpirit
AG
One dog eats the Kirkland brand (red bag) from Costco.
The other dog eats Purina proplan performance.

Where do you get Victor?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.