Outdoors
Sponsored by

Reloading Bench & Work Bench plans/ideas

5,085 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Arctic Ag
Arctic Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting moved into my new place and now have plenty of room to spread my tools and equipment out finally. This means I get to build some new benches...yay!

I'm wanting to build at least 2 different work benches and a reloading bench. All to place up against the wall and work on my wintertime projects to keep me busy.

Work benches- any ideas, plans or pictures you have of a nice bench to work on things? I've got yard equipment, motorcycles, airplanes, and other stuff to be worked on. Also any ideas for a woodworking bench.

Reloading- I need something that can accommodate reloading shotgun, pistol, and rifle ammo and have enough storage for all the supplies. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
TwoMarksHand
AG
If you're going to do shotgun, rifle, and pistol on one bench, make sure you have some kind of interchange system for your presses. Another suggestion is to make sure that your press is tall enough. The last bench I made, was a little too short and my back still hasn't forgiven me.

There is an awesome thread on arfcom that is full of reloading bench pictures and ideas.

Kramer
AG
https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2921101
NW80
AG
Agrams built mine!
Hit him up~
bassmaster07
AG
He could build me a work bench too, but I would never get anything done. Would get too distracted looking at the bench.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Here is the arfcom reloading bench thread
schmellba99
AG
Here is mine:

My progressive is hard mounted to the bench, it's big and heavy and isn't going to be moved.

On the longer side of the bench, i mounted various pieces of equipment to blocks that attach to the bench with the black knurled screws you see. Each one can be put wherever I need it to be put. My only mistake was not making the holes for the recessed receiving threads equal distances so that the blocks could be mounted in more positions. Were I go back and do it again, i'd make that quick modification just to give me a bit more flexibility.

I also didn't make it super deep as you can see. The deeper the bench, the more apt it is to get cluttered. It's just deep enough to mount any equipment and have a little space behind it, all within easy reach while sitting. I used butcher block countertops bought at Ikea, they are cheap, look good and durable. Standard 2x4 frame with a storage shelf underneath. I thought about cabinets, but with me cabinets become places things get lost. I wanted everything out int he open where I can see it. Personal preference.
normaleagle05
AG
Here is some inspiration:
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2608388/2#discussion
EFE
AG
Every electric outlet on its own breaker
TwoMarksHand
AG
Here are some pictures of mine. I'm in need of a new bench as well. The one pictured is the back-breaker that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also fresh brass at the end for viewing pleasure.

AggieGunslinger
AG
Any chance you have a link to your mounting hardware?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Holding my breath for mfbarnes' reloading bench.
schmellba99
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Any chance you have a link to your mounting hardware?

I used 3/8" all threaded rod and bought the black knobs from some place I found online that I couldn't tell you the name of for the life of me today. Grainger or Amazon has them though, a google search for "plastic star knob" or "knurled knob" brought them right up.

Knurled Knob Search

The underside recieving threads are a 3/8" female threaded coupler with a flange on one side, similar to this:

But mine are threaded all the way through. I honestly think i found them at Home Depot, saw them and thought they would be perfect for my application. I used some small wood screws on the flange side and they are solid.

I cut the all threaded rod and used some JB Weld to epoxy them into the knurled knobs. I think they are about 3" or so long. Drilled a hole through the bench, inserted the female flanged coupler on the bottom, screw it into place and done. Leaves me with small holes in the bench, but they are through holes so almost nothing gets caught up in them.

I looked at some other methods of having a lot of flexibility, but liked this one the best. I keep the presses, vices, etc. that I'm not using stored on a shelf above and install them when i need them. When I don't, i have an open bench to work on. Bonus points is that my wife uses the bench (its' in my master closet, didn't have anywhere else to really put it in my house) for some things as well so I only marginally got kicked in the stones when I built it.

I'd do a few things different were I to go back and start over, but they are relatively minor in nature.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Gracias, I had been looking at T-track but your method seems much easier.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

Holding my breath for mfbarnes' reloading bench.
you're 4 posts too late

normaleagle05 said:

91AggieLawyer
AG
Here's a thread I started when I built my last bench 3 years ago.

Workbench tips

By all means, pay particular attention to the wood and the screws.

If you have the room, build it as big as you can get away with. But keep in mind that your idea of "having the room" may change over time.
schmellba99
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Gracias, I had been looking at T-track but your method seems much easier.
I looked at doing something like that, lots of flexibility. The reason why I didn't go with it is that I just know the tracks will end up being where every primer, spec of dirt, powder, etc. will eventually collect. I was probably over thinking it, but I kept thinking about how much of a PITA that system will be to keep clean.
Arctic Ag
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Here's a thread I started when I built my last bench 3 years ago.

Workbench tips

By all means, pay particular attention to the wood and the screws.

If you have the room, build it as big as you can get away with. But keep in mind that your idea of "having the room" may change over time.
I hope I have enough room. I've got 170 linear feet of wall space to work with. It would take one helluva Bench to use all that up.

Thanks for the info
Arctic Ag
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Thank you
Arctic Ag
AG
schmellba99 said:

Here is mine:

My progressive is hard mounted to the bench, it's big and heavy and isn't going to be moved.

On the longer side of the bench, i mounted various pieces of equipment to blocks that attach to the bench with the black knurled screws you see. Each one can be put wherever I need it to be put. My only mistake was not making the holes for the recessed receiving threads equal distances so that the blocks could be mounted in more positions. Were I go back and do it again, i'd make that quick modification just to give me a bit more flexibility.

I also didn't make it super deep as you can see. The deeper the bench, the more apt it is to get cluttered. It's just deep enough to mount any equipment and have a little space behind it, all within easy reach while sitting. I used butcher block countertops bought at Ikea, they are cheap, look good and durable. Standard 2x4 frame with a storage shelf underneath. I thought about cabinets, but with me cabinets become places things get lost. I wanted everything out int he open where I can see it. Personal preference.
That looks like a nice setup. How tall is your countertop?

Thanks
Arctic Ag
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Here are some pictures of mine. I'm in need of a new bench as well. The one pictured is the back-breaker that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also fresh brass at the end for viewing pleasure.

Other than it being too short, is there anything else you would change? Look s liked a nice setup
schmellba99
AG
I will have to measure, but I think it is 24". Standard desktop height. I prefer sitting when i reload versus standing or doing small projects.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I saw the T-track system that some guys have installed and I really like the idea.

Other than that, I need more storage space and more shelves.
Eliminatus
AG
If you have several presses and want to keep a smaller footprint I HIGHLY recommend Inline Fabrication mounts. They truly are a gamechanger. The best mounting set up on the market right now. I have their quick change plate that I share with three presses. One mount, three different presses. Takes about 40 seconds to swap. I have a small bench so this approach is the one that works for me.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Eliminatus said:

If you have several presses and want to keep a smaller footprint I HIGHLY recommend Inline Fabrication mounts. They truly are a gamechanger. The best mounting set up on the market right now. I have their quick change plate that I share with three presses. One mount, three different presses. Takes about 40 seconds to swap. I have a small bench so this approach is the one that works for me.

Are they worth the price tag? Every time I get to researching them, I feel like I could quickly fab up something similar for much cheaper.
Eliminatus
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Eliminatus said:

Are they worth the price tag? Every time I get to researching them, I feel like I could quickly fab up something similar for much cheaper.

Just depends I guess. A crafty fella who knows what he is doing with steel and a welder can always Fab out something workable and cheaper.

I have no such skills nor equipment so I have to buy.
As far as cost the initial mount is most of it. Then each individual plate for each press is $19 a piece. I can tell you that their stuff is extremely well made. This is not some cheap third party crap assembled in a garage. It really is professional grade stuff. So to me and my needs (not a whole lot of bench real estate) it was a no brainer. Hell, it was the only real option for what I wanted. It was worth every penny to me.
schmellba99
AG
Ar said:

That looks like a nice setup. How tall is your countertop?

Thanks
I thought about this last night for some reason and measured - 30" from floor to top of work bench.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Every workbench should have two paper towel holders: one for shop towels and the other for cheap paper towels (the kind that are precipitated as half sheets, of course)

Also if you can swing it, rig up a craft paper roll dispenser, where you can pull the paper over a section of bench for glue/epoxy projects then rip it off and throw away when you're done. Hanging off one end of the bench wound be ideal, so you could cover as much or little of the bench with the paper as needed. Second best would be to hang the roll under the bench toward the wall with the paper feeding up over the benchtop, so you could pull it out toward you and cover just a 3ft section
Arctic Ag
AG

Check this one out. I don't have the need for that extensive of a setup, but it's nice
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.