You get an EA like the one in Hawaii-what do you do?

Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Assume it's real.

I live by the airport in Austin so either they are hitting the airport or the capital. Best I can do is haul arse to 130 and head south as fast as my truck can go.

Probably wouldn't be fast enough though.
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
In Hawaii the launch to detonation time from North Korea is like 20 minutes. Let's assume I have knowledge of the thing as it launches.

I'd go **** in the front yard.

Given that it was bound for the continent I'd do it in the front yard and the back yard.

The cold war is over. Nobody has a bomb shelter. If it's coming we just die where we are. Which is pretty much what wouldve happened in the Cold War had the bombs fell.
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
Find the wife and get busy... not sure what I would do with the remaining 18 minutes though...
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
I don't know that I would/could do much. That said, I have family stationed in Hawaii. I got the "I love you. Have a happy life." text shortly after the alarm. It was a little surreal at the time.
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Can't see a nuke hitting Round Rock unless it misses Austin.

If so then I'd go outside and yell "I'm ready to meet my maker".

Done
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Honestly from NK...

I'm more concerned about EMP than an actual atmospheric detonation. Everything I've heard is they have the bomb, they have a missile that can reach space, their guidance is terrible, and they can't re-enter...


To the OP... Get inside or under something... Anything has got to be better than nothing, especially if the weapon is non-nuclear. Even if nuclear unless it's Russian stay inside/upwind if it strikes more than a mile or so away.
helloag99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Is an emp easier than nuclear?

We aren't dealing with the sharpert knives in the set
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
All they have to do is set off a nuclear device in space. Now what i don't know is if their devices are big enough to do much.

It just eases their guidance and reentry problems for long range missiles that, in my understanding, fly high enough to deal with reentry.
cplatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
agrams said:

Find the wife and get busy... not sure what I would do with the remaining 18 minutes though...


Wood!
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
What is the blast radius? How many miles do you need to be away from the epicenter to not be affected?

I would think San antonio would be the biggest/most likely target in the state.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
normaleagle05 said:


I'd go **** in the front yard.

Given that it was bound for the continent I'd do it in the front yard and the back yard.

You'd crap in your own front yard? Id think the neighbors would be a better option.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Hypothetically, if I were aiming at Texas I would go for the petrochemical areas along the coast, or the ship channel area. That's probably the most disruptive thing you could hit.

Having said that Rocket Man has given no evidence that he is able to hit what he's aiming at. A couple of weeks ago it was reported that he managed to land one in a city of 200,000 in NK. Launching successfully is hard. Hitting anywhere near what you are aiming for downrange is even harder. Frankly, he could aim at Oahu and I suspect be just as likely to hit Midway.
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
normaleagle05 said:

I'd go **** in the front yard

At first I wasn't sure if your four letter word started with an f or an s, until I clicked on the quote button. I figured either one would probably be pretty fun.
oldvalleyrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
mathguy86 said:

Hypothetically, if I were aiming at Texas I would go for the petrochemical areas along the coast, or the ship channel area. That's probably the most disruptive thing you could hit.

Having said that Rocket Man has given no evidence that he is able to hit what he's aiming at. A couple of weeks ago it was reported that he managed to land one in a city of 200,000 in NK. Launching successfully is hard. Hitting anywhere near what you are aiming for downrange is even harder. Frankly, he could aim at Oahu and I suspect be just as likely to hit Midway.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. What makes anyone think that he could hit even close to what he was aiming at? He has a good chance of having the thing explode on the launch pad. If it gets off the ground and aimed at the US there is a good chance that it will come apart in flight, or hit a coral atoll in the pacific.

Luckily I live in the valley and he couldn't possibly want to blow us up (although we probably have an even chance of accidentally getting hit as any place else.)
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
agrams said:

Find the wife and get busy... not sure what I would do with the remaining 18 minutes though...


Reload?
brs4688
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
Military bases would be our target. Most likely would leave shipping channel and oil/gas infrastructure intact so they could come and steal it all.
brs4688
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Emp is not nearly the threat people think it is.

But it's a super easy literary device to make all the lights go out, so unrealistic emps show up a lot in books, movies and video games.
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
brs4688 said:

Military bases would our target. Most likely would leave shipping channel and oil/gas infrastructure intact so they could come and steal it all.
Exactly. Ft Hood was supposedly on the Soviet's list for a reason.
fightingfarmer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Kenneth_2003 said:

All they have to do is set off a nuclear device in space. Now what i don't know is if their devices are big enough to do much.

It just eases their guidance and reentry problems for long range missiles that, in my understanding, fly high enough to deal with reentry.


False.

In fact a large scale effective EMP from a nuke is infinitely more difficult.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-overrated-threat-from-electromagnetic-pulses-46e92c3efeb9


Blast radius:

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
Hoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
In Round Rock I feel like it's pretty unlikely of being the target of a missile or bomb, but if one was coming and I knew it I'd grab my go bag and head to my ex's house or their school to get my kids (assuming they weren't already with me). She could come with or stay behind, but they're coming with me and we're headed to my parents' place in the country. If there's no time to get away then we'll shelter in place. Worst case (although not really since I know where we're going when we die), they'll at least die with me in my arms.
BackwardsInBoots
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
This past summer in Japan we got alerts about North Korean missile launches 3 or 4 times... just rolled over and went back to bed. IMO there isn't enough time to react in any meaningful way.
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
exactly! I would be more concerned if i lived in an area not targeted.
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
txyaloo said:

brs4688 said:

Military bases would our target. Most likely would leave shipping channel and oil/gas infrastructure intact so they could come and steal it all.
Exactly. Ft Hood was supposedly on the Soviet's list for a reason.

This is why I think SA would be high on the list.

Fort Sam Houston
Lackland AFB
Randolph AFB
Kelly Field Annex
Brooks Army Medical Center
Etc
TwoMarksHand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
I'm 30 miles south of Sheppard AFB and 7 miles from a space station in Archer County. Both of which were in the top 10 places to be bombed during the Cold War. So, not so great odds for me.
FIDO 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
I'd go to Whataburger and get a #4 and Whata-size the Dr Pepper & fries.
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
IMO Lackland and Randolph would both be pretty low on the list if you're looking at all the AFB in the country. They both belong to Air Education and Training Command. Not really a war fighting resource.
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
FIDO 96 said:

I'd go to Whataburger and get a #4 and Whata-size the Dr Pepper & fries.


This.
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
FIDO 96 said:

I'd go to Whataburger and get a #4 and Whata-size the Dr Pepper & fries.


If you do that after the bomb drops you can pay in bottle caps.
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:



http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/


I found this a while back as well. Their September 2017 launch was estimated at 250 kilotons.

You can get round about damage estimates with that calculator in any given city.
jtp01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
In Amarillo we have Pantex which exists to decommission nuclear weapons. In my mind, it has to be on a list of potential targets among all of our adversaries.

I have to figure if rocket man decides to make a play, our military would have a means to intercept given the additional distance. With Hawaii being so close, the ability to intercept has to be a challenge.
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
Ragoo said:

txyaloo said:

brs4688 said:

Military bases would our target. Most likely would leave shipping channel and oil/gas infrastructure intact so they could come and steal it all.
Exactly. Ft Hood was supposedly on the Soviet's list for a reason.

This is why I think SA would be high on the list.

Fort Sam Houston
Lackland AFB
Randolph AFB
Kelly Field Annex
Brooks Army Medical Center
Etc


Respectfully disagree. I appreciate that there are military bases there, a shock to the houston refining sector would be an incredible blow to the nation's energy security.... on top of effecting the refineries it would cripple the pipelines that take motor fuels to east coast and midwest, surpluss product and crude storage, docks etc... Houston would be a much more strategic blow to the US economy and security that San Antonio.
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
If you have to pick one place to cripple the us (and NK would have to pick one), the top 5 in no particular order is probably Houston, New Orleans, Los Angeles, NYC, and DC because of the political, financial, and petrochemical infrastructure including key people. If you switch to pure military installations, San Antonio is way down the list in terms of immediate importance. You would get a big military body count, but in terms of damaging our ability to punch back it would do nothing.
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Didn't y'all see the recently leaked photo of KJ and some of his generals that had a map of the US in the background? It had 4 targets marked on it.

DC
Austin

And 2 I don't recall but I think a CA city and possibly NYC
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
RickSawyer said:

Ragoo said:

txyaloo said:

brs4688 said:

Military bases would our target. Most likely would leave shipping channel and oil/gas infrastructure intact so they could come and steal it all.
Exactly. Ft Hood was supposedly on the Soviet's list for a reason.

This is why I think SA would be high on the list.

Fort Sam Houston
Lackland AFB
Randolph AFB
Kelly Field Annex
Brooks Army Medical Center
Etc


Respectfully disagree. I appreciate that there are military bases there, a shock to the houston refining sector would be an incredible blow to the nation's energy security.... on top of effecting the refineries it would cripple the pipelines that take motor fuels to east coast and midwest, surpluss product and crude storage, docks etc... Houston would be a much more strategic blow to the US economy and security that San Antonio.
maybe, but in the big picture Houston is small potatoes in actual refined product production. Lake Charles and Baton Rouge are probably bigger but there are a hundred and twentish refineries all over the country.

I would think if a country is going to make a sweeping attack it would be to military hubs. Prevent or delay the ability to make a counter attack via people, training or weapons/vehicles.

But we are just speculating here.

Edit: two/three of the largest independent refiners in the country have their corporate headquarters in San Antonio in Valero and Andeavor (Tesoro/Western/Nothern refining merged company)
jayelbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
FIDO 96 said:

I'd go to Whataburger and get a #4 and Whata-size the Dr Pepper & fries.

The bomb would hit and you'd still be waiting at the table with your orange number.
Page 1 of 3
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.