Outdoors
Sponsored by

You get an EA like the one in Hawaii-what do you do?

11,367 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Burdizzo
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NK doesn't have but one or very few nukes. If they are dumb enough to launch they have to know they're dead. So they will go after city with most population, not a military target.

But they will not launch unless we invade them, isn't a death sentence if they launch first strike
dodger02
AG
I love playing with that NukeMap site.

Lord help us, though, should the **** really hit the fan.
milkman00
AG
Surely NK knows that they are all dead if they nuke us. Our navy would take them out, without needing any Texas bases to assist. We saw what a hurricane did to gas supply, a bomb would make a much bigger impact.

I can see someone targeting Austin for political reasons, or Dallas or Houston for number of casualties and economic impact before San Antonio, depending on their goal.
Ragoo
AG
BQ_90 said:

NK doesn't have but one or very few nukes. If they are dumb enough to launch they have to know they're dead. So they will go after city with most population, not a military target.

But they will not launch unless we invade them, isn't a death sentence if they launch first strike
at that point blast the Panama Canal
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Dr Pepper is so damn good
Rudyjax
AG
Hope I die right away. World Wide destruction I want to be one of the first rather than the last to die.
RickSawyer
AG
Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Ragoo said:

txyaloo said:

brs4688 said:

Military bases would our target. Most likely would leave shipping channel and oil/gas infrastructure intact so they could come and steal it all.
Exactly. Ft Hood was supposedly on the Soviet's list for a reason.

This is why I think SA would be high on the list.

Fort Sam Houston
Lackland AFB
Randolph AFB
Kelly Field Annex
Brooks Army Medical Center
Etc

Respectfully disagree. I appreciate that there are military bases there, a shock to the houston refining sector would be an incredible blow to the nation's energy security.... on top of effecting the refineries it would cripple the pipelines that take motor fuels to east coast and midwest, surpluss product and crude storage, docks etc... Houston would be a much more strategic blow to the US economy and security that San Antonio.
maybe, but in the big picture Houston is small potatoes in actual refined product production. Lake Charles and Baton Rouge are probably bigger but there are a hundred and twentish refineries all over the country.

I would think if a country is going to make a sweeping attack it would be to military hubs. Prevent or delay the ability to make a counter attack via people, training or weapons/vehicles.

But we are just speculating here.

Edit: two/three of the largest independent refiners in the country have their corporate headquarters in San Antonio in Valero and Andeavor (Tesoro/Western/Nothern refining merged company)

Lake Charles is smaller. Baton Rouge is smaller. Houston is the home for all the bbls from Texas City to the ship channel. Padd 3 (Gulf Coast) is incredibly important to the motor fuel balances everywhere in the US except the West Coast... and even as the midwest has become more balanced, it would have immediate impacts through the chain.

Also, nuking head quarters doesn't accomplish much other than casualties, at risk of sounding insensitive. Taking out a major refining hub including but not specific to refineries, strategic pipelines and terminals, as well as striking the 4th largest city in the US would be a much more impactful attack than San Antonio.

I am not arguing that I want that to happen but to pretend that San Antonio would be higher on the strike list than a major city that supplies fuels to almost the entire country is ignorant.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Cue up the original red dawn and yell wolverines with your fist in the air!!!
Bregxit
AG
Ragoo said:

RickSawyer said:

Ragoo said:

txyaloo said:

brs4688 said:

Military bases would our target. Most likely would leave shipping channel and oil/gas infrastructure intact so they could come and steal it all.
Exactly. Ft Hood was supposedly on the Soviet's list for a reason.

This is why I think SA would be high on the list.

Fort Sam Houston
Lackland AFB
Randolph AFB
Kelly Field Annex
Brooks Army Medical Center
Etc

Respectfully disagree. I appreciate that there are military bases there, a shock to the houston refining sector would be an incredible blow to the nation's energy security.... on top of effecting the refineries it would cripple the pipelines that take motor fuels to east coast and midwest, surpluss product and crude storage, docks etc... Houston would be a much more strategic blow to the US economy and security that San Antonio.
maybe, but in the big picture Houston is small potatoes in actual refined product production. Lake Charles and Baton Rouge are probably bigger but there are a hundred and twentish refineries all over the country.

I would think if a country is going to make a sweeping attack it would be to military hubs. Prevent or delay the ability to make a counter attack via people, training or weapons/vehicles.

But we are just speculating here.

Edit: two/three of the largest independent refiners in the country have their corporate headquarters in San Antonio in Valero and Andeavor (Tesoro/Western/Nothern refining merged company)

Houston has the second and fourth largest US refineries with the top dog just up the road in Port Arthur. The ship channel has the largest petrochemical facilities (over 40% of US base chemical production) in the country and one of the largest in the world. It has the largest natural gas facilities in the country.

Taking that out would be devastating to us.
88planoAg
AG
I read something awhile ago that listed ISIS targets in Texas. The panhandle was on there - Amarillo or somewhere up there, along with Houston, DFW, and I don't remember what other major cities. I found it quite funny that San Antonio didn't make the list at all. Even Amarillo was a target, but not SA. We are even the stepchild city according to ISIS. Lol.
one MEEN Ag
AG
FIDO 96 said:

I'd go to Whataburger and get a #4 and Whata-size the Dr Pepper & fries.

If it's the location off of Rock Prarie in College Station, you'd die before getting your food.
BoneBoy
AG

Duck & cover
longeryak
Swarely said:

Assume it's real.

I live by the airport in Austin so either they are hitting the airport or the capital. Best I can do is haul arse to 130 and head south as fast as my truck can go.

Probably wouldn't be fast enough though.
Bergstrom and all other 'retired' AFBs get hit in the first two waves. South on 130 does no good as the SA bases and the South Texas Nuke plant would be hit. As would the Kingsville's base and the former base at Ingleside.

I'd pour your favorite drink and tell the family you love them as that is about all you can do.
fightintxag13
AG
It doesn't surprise me to see Amarillo on that list because of Pantex being just outside of town. It's a nuclear warhead disarmament facility still working on the aftermath of the Cold War.
OnlyForNow
AG
No one here thinks that an inland target like Texas would be really hard to hit besides me?

We've got multiple types of middle interceptors between the east and west coast and Houston.

If they're gonna be successful at hitting anything, it's be SF or LA, NYC or DC. Central US would, IMO, be almost impossible for them to hit.
longeryak
OnlyForNow said:

No one here thinks that an inland target like Texas would be really hard to hit besides me?

We've got multiple types of middle interceptors between the east and west coast and Houston.

If they're gonna be successful at hitting anything, it's be SF or LA, NYC or DC. Central US would, IMO, be almost impossible for them to hit.

You don't think the Russians have subs with nukes in the Gulf?
PrestigeWW
AG
Nobody is nuking Austin or San Antonio.

Unless we're talking about all out thermo nuclear war with Russia there's no way a city in Texas besides Houston (Ship Channel and O&G reasons) would be targeted. Possibly Dallas for population reasons.
Kramer
AG
Not sure you'd fire nukes at military installations. Using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

For NK, if you're going to fire nukes, you try to kill as many as possible, because you probably aren't walking away from this thing. LA/SF make the most sense. LA for raw numbers. SF gives you numbers and Silicon Valley.

After that, you're talking NY and DC for obvious reasons.
Burdizzo
AG
FIDO 96 said:

Two chicks at the same time followed by a Patty Melt with grilled jalapenos.
Burdizzo
AG
88planoAg said:

I read something awhile ago that listed ISIS targets in Texas. The panhandle was on there - Amarillo or somewhere up there, along with Houston, DFW, and I don't remember what other major cities. I found it quite funny that San Antonio didn't make the list at all. Even Amarillo was a target, but not SA. We are even the stepchild city according to ISIS. Lol.
AggieAces06
AG
I'm grabbing the kid and heading to the ranch in Junction. The husband can met me there.
OnlyForNow
AG
You think the Russians give a sheet about bombing HI?
LaBamba
AG
If there's anything I learned from Indiana Jones, it's from the obviously best movie out of the series, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," which is:
Hide in a lead-lined refrigerator and ride that bad boy out
Don't let my son ever call himself "Mud" without me ridiculing him
CactusThomas
AG
longeryak said:

I'd pour your favorite drink and tell the family you love them as that is about all you can do.

Well, that's all I know how to do anyway.
adamsbq06
AG
Read one second after....
andy@andrewadamsav.com
Bregxit
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Emp is not nearly the threat people think it is.

But it's a super easy literary device to make all the lights go out, so unrealistic emps show up a lot in books, movies and video games.

Might want to read the following:

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/HM/HM09/20171012/106467/HHRG-115-HM09-Wstate-PryP-20171012.pdf
SteveBott
AG
I thought this thread was about North Korea having a limited amount of ICBMs not Russia who will never send their nukes. They know what we got.

But NK is a huge wildcard. They have maybe two and best bet is they have no idea where either of them would land. If at all. But they will eventually
Mookie
AG
Two chicks at the same time /lawrence
flashplayer
AG
FIDO 96 said:

At our whataburger, your order wouldn't be ready until after the nuke dropped.
EMY92
AG
OnlyForNow said:

You think the Russians give a sheet about bombing HI?
Yes, for the same reason that the Japanese did to start WWII.
flashplayer
AG
longeryak said:

OnlyForNow said:

You don't think the Russians have subs with nukes in the Gulf?

They've probably got an entire fleet of fanboats patrolling southern Louisiana.

Knotman
If I don't go out first, time to open the gun safes & load up to prepare for the local idiots searching for opportunity.
Mowdy Ag
AG
BoneBoy said:

Duck & cover
Been there, done that.

Thanks Nakita.
redass1876
AG
Dallas/Fort Worth for military production

F-35 and F-16 are made here. Tomahawk missiles. Weapon targeting systems (Elbit and Raytheon) weapon guidance (EDS)

Lot of Aero and Defense here
CharlieBrown17
AG
NK would need to prioritize targets with immediate impact. They know a war with us would have to be a quick strike hard enough to cripple our current war fighting capabilities for them to have any chance.

I think a tradition power (Russia/Cold War USSR) would hit targets like Aero production knowing they're looking at a much longer, strategic war.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.