Outdoors
Sponsored by

Question for you guys with a lot of guns - combo rifle?

3,211 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dfdogfood
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I could only own one rifle: Bolt Action 30-06. Inexpensive, versatile, reliable, plentiful, proven...

If you're dead-set on only hunting in Texas and keeping shots under 500 yards. Maybe consider 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08 for less recoil.
AgLA06
AG
I don't own an AR, but a 16" 6.8 or Grendel seems to be that sweet spot combo for this application.

Semi auto for groups of pigs and packs of coyotes. Enough bullet for deer or bigger hogs. Light enough and short enough to be fairly maneuverable in a gator or golf cart or truck. Fully customizable for the application (switch scopes, lights, lasers, NV, cans, etc.)

Seems like most so far are more focused on what could work for all, but aren't really good for anything other than big game and a long range scope. With the AR you could make it what you need for that hunt.

A large caliber bolt rifle and good combo gun just aren't the same thing.
ag0207
AG
I agree with AgLA06. A few years ago I would have said I never wanted an AR. I got hooked and now I have four. Three are 556 and 1 in 6.5 grendel. The grendel is my favorite. I built it using the upper that LaRue offered and it is the lightest AR I have and it can do just about anything when it comes to game in Texas. The only problem is ammo is roughly $1/round. Wolf makes cheap steel ammo but LaRue recommends brass only.
AgLA06
AG
$1 a round is a bargain compared to most of the recommendations so far.
Build It
AG
30.06 can hunt anything in the lower 48. All kinds of rounds from heavy to light.

TylerAg98
AG
Really appreciate all the input and recs. Kind of leaning the AR route in 6.5 Grendel. Really liking what I'm reading about this round. Our company is running a sales promotion that if met (which will be easy), I can pick out any gun and accessories up to $2500.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
buds gun shop has some good options

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/719007393

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=grendel
ag0207
AG
But the LaRue in 6.5 Grendel & thank me later
ldg397
AG
My first thought is I could only have one gun I would by a Smith revolver and end it all because all the joy in life is gone.

But ok I will play your game.

If you go AR would be one in 6.8 spc

More traditional I would go Browning BAR in 30-06.
snod85
AG
I kept a 870 police behind the back seat in the truck for decades until I recently added added a cz527 in 7.62x39. Needed something for the 45 to 150 yard range for hogs in the hayfield. Probably couldnt suppress it though. In my part of East Texas I just dont have longer shots, small tracts and lots of neighbors. Handy little carbine length truck gun with a 2x7 scope. Keep both in a scabbard so they are protected and easy to pull.
pfo
AG
The Gatling Gun mounted on the front of the A-10 Warthog!

This is Texas son! Go big or go home!
Ronald_Ragin
AG
Doesn't necessarily fall into your exceptions, but I feel strongly enough about it to post anyways. Look into the 6.5 Grendel/Creedmore of haven't already.

Love my Grendel.. ammo isn't too difficult to find, not overly expensive, great for nearly anything, and the most accurate round I've ever owned and fun to shoot.
TheVarian
AG
I'm always a fan of the 5.56 caliber

In all seriousness, you'd probably be ok with the AR-15 platform. Not to mention, there are other caliber choices for the upper receivers that can be replaced without having to change the BCG

Or the Ruger American in 7.62. Comes with a threaded barrel already and doesn't break the bank by any means.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/16976.html

ETA: might take a gander at .224 Valkyrie. I'm really intrigued by this round and plan on purchasing an upper for my AR.
dfdogfood
AG
I'll have one of what he is shooting in the gif above
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.