Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****Official Waterfowl Hunting Thread 2017*****

36,653 Views | 253 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigevent99
DUman08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shot another 5 man limit this morning mostly BW and GW teal with couple shovlers. Did see couple hundred snows and couple hundred specs very high. Definitely geese starting to move in.
FunkyTownFarmer12
AG
Shot 3 blue wing teal, a pintail and a gadwall this morning. In between Eagle Lake and Sealy. There were a bunch of birds flying.
Michael Shumard
FirefightAg said:

Any pictures of those BWT. They have any color to them yet?

Barely any color - about the same as teal opener. SOrry, i dont know how to post pics - but DUMan does and he has my pictures sent via text
TommyGun
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Bit of advice, you can 100% absolutely never go wrong using breathable waders in Texas (the non neoprene ones). You can wear shorts or three pairs of pants underneath. You will never regret buying breathable for hunting in Texas. And I mean anywhere in Texas,

I would second this. I hunted Wyoming all of last season with a pair of Magellan breathables and really only got cold one time when it was -10.
saltydog13
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I had geese flying over me in Snook starting around 1.

Same here. Headed into CS around 10am and had a flock headed south
CS78
Snows over campus. Lots of reports of major migration taking place in Oklahoma and Midwest.

Wednesday morning would be the day to be on the water. Curse this state for giving in to the deer hunters and moving our season opener back a week!
saltydog13
AG
On a separate note...no pictures from anyone yet??
DUman08
AG

Sean98
AG
DUman08 said:

Pictures like this make me sad... Not because I'm sad for the ducks, but because it's a buttload of non-descript grey/brown ducks that I can't really identify consistently. This photo only highlights how difficult I think duck hunting (within the legal confines of the limit) really is.

It's like the old elementary school english rules... I before E, except after C, or unless you don't want to. You get 6 ducks, but only 4 of these, and 2 of these, unless you have one of those, then you only get one of these...

Edit: To be clear, CONGRATS to you and your hunters on great days. I'm sad for me because I'm duck ignorant.
NW80
AG
^^
Don't know.... I can see a bunch of "Smilin Mallard" hens!!!!
Sean98
AG
Definitely a few. I see those. And some gads I think.
DUman08
AG
If you call a bunch two
saltydog13
AG
Y'all see any pintails flying sky high?
NW80
AG
Two are too many ( a "bunch" to me).
LOL!!!
CS78
Steady stream of snows over south CS tonight. A new flock about every 5-10 minutes. Low enough to see.
saltydog13
AG
Ready to get out Saturday morning around BCS even though Wednesday weather is perfect for ducks
DUman08
AG
Yes we did see some but we actually saw them around our rice north of I-10 while touching up few blinds.
Thisguy1
Heard them outside when I was cooking some steaks tonight.
SabineAg
AG
Headed out to Anahuac tomorrow morning for my first hunt of the year, getting more and more pumped by the minute
Sean98
AG
All these duck threads were making me feel left out...

I'm not a real waterfowler, but had a little time this morning (but not enough to deer hunt) so I grabbed a bag of dekes and headed to the wildlife area this morning. Unfortunately I watched a guy pull into the spot I hoped to hunt just 30 seconds ahead of me. It's too small to hunt two groups so I rolled on to a backup spot, broke a little ice and tossed out some decoys. Before legal light arrived I had two splashdowns. When the phone alarm went off I sat up, ducks sprang off the water and pulled the trigger on my new Remington V3 for the very first time. 20 minutes later and I see a solo duck in the distance locked in on my spread. She cupped up, glided in the last 100 yards and I shot her at less than 20 yards. Except from some tiny little divers that kept swimming through the edge of my spread that ended my action for the morning. I was only able to sit for an hour but killed a couple which puts me above the annual average for this WA so far this year. All in all not a bad way to spend a short morning.
shalackin
AG
birds are really starting to show up in oklahoma this week. we spanked their ass last weekend with much less activity! Hope this season stays steady like this with bird numbers.
DUman08
AG
Lots of birds killed today had 16 limits from all of our hunters.
Panfish
AG
South Louisiana this morning.[img][/img]
BCO07
AG
No big ducks seen at all off the Navasota River in Brazos County. Got half a dozen woodies, though.
Sean98
AG
Just bumped 17 mallards off my little teal spot walking in you swap cards in a deer cam. 13 green heads and 4 hen. Might have to pay them another visit soon before they head to Oklahoma.
Badace52
AG
I really don't think there are any mallard hens in that pic. The two that looks like mallard hens are too small and their beaks make me pretty sure they are female northern shovelers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thisguy1
Badace52 said:

I really don't think there are any mallard hens in that pic. The two that looks like mallard hens are too small and their beaks make me pretty sure they are female northern shovelers.

Which are nicknamed "Smiling Mallards."
Badace52
AG
Oh.. hadn't heard that. Thanks for the clarification.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thisguy1
I hadn't either until I asked on last year's waterfowl thread. I've learned a few things from the OB.
SabineAg
AG
Solid cast and blast this past weekend in the Galveston East/trinity bay area, we didn't get a lot of ducks but we shot every one that flew in

water turkey
Quote:

Which are nicknamed "Smiling Mallards."
Boot lips

Turd rollers
agfan2013
AG
Headed down to the coast for work to hunt with some customers this week. Hope we get some good shooting in!

And send those woodies over here to Caldwell BC07, I still need to get a good drake mounted. Missed a shot on one last year....
DuckDown2013
AG
Love me some smilin' muhlards.
Opener is on Wednesday here in Virginia. Hoping this cold weather north of us pushes some birds down in next couple days. Just some local Canadians and woodies here right now.
agfan2013
AG
Had a great hunt down on the coast with some work customers last week. The usual crowds of redheads and pintails, but was pleasantly surprised to see a ton of widgeon. Glad there are no special limits on those as they easily made up 50%+ of our bag all three days.

Decided to go jump our farm tank after work today and that was a $300 mistake. I've been after a wood duck and mallard to get mounted and now I can scratch the wood duck off the list. Really happy with this one.
Duck Blind
AG
Beautiful woodie!

My son and I went out Sunday morning. Bagged 8 ducks + 1 speck. Blue bird day but didn't care. Was making memories with my teenager.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.