Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****Official Waterfowl Hunting Thread 2017*****

36,591 Views | 253 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigevent99
Skillet Shot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get this season started. Who all is going out in the heat wave this weekend for the South opener?

I can't decide whether I want to chase fins or feathers. Either way, I'll report back. I saw quite a few teal and some big ducks last weekend near Matagorda. Any other scouting reports?
CS78
Grey ducks and coots have shown back up on the Bryan muni golf course pond.
Colt98
AG
Our big lake near Giddings has almost zero birds on it. Jumped one group of spoonies on 90 acres. The flood elliminated our food source. May be in for a long season.
CS78
That's the case all over central/ southeast TX. The late flood zeroed all the feed and then the water fell. Somerville and lots of others are nothing but a muddy gar hole right now.
BCO07
AG
CS78 said:

Grey ducks and coots have shown back up on the Bryan muni golf course pond.

Saw that today
Panfish
AG
Youth weekend this weekend in South Louisiana. I'll be in the blind with my daughter Saturday morning at sunrise. Can't wait.

Regular season opens next weekend.
Sean98
AG
Saw more ducks than deer from the stand today in Kansas, but still not many. Mostly Woodies.
agfan2013
AG
Takes awhile into the season for ducks to get to our farm tanks over here near Caldwell so I probably won't go out until late November unless I see signs that they're here earlier. Did scare a lone duck yesterday that I couldn't see what the breed was while walking by the tank checking on my blind.

Still hoping for a mallard and wood duck to get mounted. Have struck out the last two years on those, but did get a nice widgeon I sent to Palermo's.
Thisguy1
I had a group of big ducks fly over me in Missouri City this past weekend.

I was coaching 3rd for my tournament team and would have gotten smoked had a ball been hit my way because my eyes were glued. Can't wait to throw some decoys out this year.

I really need to find a good lease. I've got a group of guys that all love to hunt but we just don't have the water to do so. I really need to learn to hunt the river.
Ragoo
AG
Saw and heard speckled belly geese flying over my office at beltway and clay Monday morning early.
Ragoo
AG
Hearing geese over Copperfield in Houston now.
SabineAg
AG
Spent a full day in rockport trying to figure where islands were still there and what's new after the hurricane. Saw very few birds early but found more as the day went on. I covered an very long range today
DimeBox17
AG
I honestly don't think a lease would be worth us getting on If we can get down to the river to hunt. I've never looked into a duck lease so I'm not sure how much they typically go for.
DUman08
AG
We are holding a lot of Teal so should be a good Teal swat.
elnaco
AG
This will be the first duck season in a long time that I will be missing. Hope it's a great season for you boys.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Can someone give me a recommendation on a good set of waders and jacket for a beginner duck hunter?

May be trying it out with one of my friends this year but don't want to spend an arm & a leg on clothing for something I may hate.

TIA
Thisguy1
For a beginner, buy a decent pair of waders from Academy and you can return them free and easy if something happens. I've got a thin set and a thicker set for different temps and I'm in around $200 for both. Haven't had an issue with either so far.
Thisguy1
I just noticed Academy doesn't have any of their Game Winner stuff online. A lot of Magellan instead. Are they done with Game Winner stuff?
elnaco
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Can someone give me a recommendation on a good set of waders and jacket for a beginner duck hunter?

May be trying it out with one of my friends this year but don't want to spend an arm & a leg on clothing for something I may hate.

TIA
Where are you located? As I said above, I'm not going to be hunting this season so if you're just wanting to try duck hunting out you can borrow my neoprene waders for a trip, just don't go bush whacking through some mesquite in them or something. I'm 6'2 195lbs ish and wear a sz 12 shoe so if you're close to that they should fit you. If you're set on buying some just go check out academy. Most of their in house brand waders will last you a few trips and if they leak you can bring them back or exchange them easily.
AgBQ-00
AG
DU migration alert I just got says it looks like you guys down in the coastal plains and along the coast should have a bang up weekend
Corps_Ag12
AG
Thanks for the responses guys. I am up in North Texas (Fort Worth). My friend said he had places to scout in Wichita Falls and Decatur.

I found some on Amazon as well, but am going to go check out Academy here in Midland tomorrow since I have nothing better to do on a Saturday besides football.
Skillet Shot
Scouted east of Houston. Saw a few birds, not enough to make me try tomorrow morning. But that's mainly due to almost getting beached 3 times. Low tide and random sand bars made for an informative scouting trip. Beautiful marsh, but still not confident enough to come back during the night.
Skillet Shot
I'll be in Matty chasin specks and reds! 80 degrees, south wind and a couple of beers. Sign me up
SabineAg
AG
Bit of advice, you can 100% absolutely never go wrong using breathable waders in Texas (the non neoprene ones). You can wear shorts or three pairs of pants underneath. You will never regret buying breathable for hunting in Texas. And I mean anywhere in Texas,
CSJazzGal
AG
Report!
DUman08
AG
6 Man limit by 7:45 mostly GW teal with a couple redheads, pintail, shovlers and widgeon mixed.
Thisguy1
Whereabouts?
DUman08
AG
South of Brookshire
Thisguy1
Good to know some big ducks are getting down already.
hurricanejake02
AG
We had 4 blinds with 4 man limits this morning - last one wrapped up about 8am. Mostly BWT, with a few GWT and shovelers mixed in.
trip98
AG
4 man limit of teal in 30 minutes in Blessing
I know of a few others that had same results
I know of several others that didn't get near the same.

that's hunting for ya!!!
Michael Shumard
3 man limit south of San Antonio. Gadwall and BWT
FirefightAg
AG
Any pictures of those BWT. They have any color to them yet?
Sean98
AG
Big migration day up here. Lots of new birds in, and lots of snows overhead all day.
Thisguy1
I had geese flying over me in Snook starting around 1.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.