Outdoors
Sponsored by

Monster deer shot in Louise Texas (possible state record)

23,482 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LSB_2002 said:

BurrOak said:

Need more info on this! I'd like to hear the actual story here. So dude wounds a buck, never finds it, goes hunting it again, after hours mind you, and then stick another arrow in him? Interesting
Apparently in a broad open pasture....you know, the typical place to archery ambush super-bucks
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Apache
AG
I found a YouTube video of the 7 Oaks Ranch. High fenced (as we already knew) with a ton of huge deer.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
I'm more of a fan of typical deer... That being said I don't discriminate, if he or anything similar walked out in front of me high fenced or not I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger (Well maybe a little since buck fever would be pretty bad).
JAG03
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

I'm more of a fan of typical deer... That being said I don't discriminate, if he or anything similar walked out in front of me high fenced or not I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger (Well maybe a little since buck fever would be pretty bad).

How much would the price tag affect your decision?
AgsMnn
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

I'm not trying to bury the lede or anything, but why are there two ice makers in this photo?

Incase one goes out.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
aggiebob0303 said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

How much would the price tag affect your decision?

A ton. I'm not the most frugal of individuals but there's no way I would pay specifically for that deer. The most I'd spend on a whitetail hunt would probably be $4k and there's no way that would be in my price range. For the $10k+ it likely went for I would rather buy a suppressed .338 Lapua or legit night vision.

I don't care about high fenced vs low fence I don't like places that charge by the inch. It seems too much like al a carte deer hunting/shopping.
Sean98
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

A ton. I'm not the most frugal of individuals but there's no way I would pay specifically for that deer. The most I'd spend on a whitetail hunt would probably be $4k and there's no way that would be in my price range. For the $10k+ it likely went for I would rather buy a suppressed .338 Lapua or legit night vision.

I have no concept of what farm deer go for, but as a potential new SCI world record I wouldn't be surprised if he cost 5-10x that amount.
Duck Blind
AG
No thank you.
giddings_ag_06
AG
In 2010 the ranch I shot my elk on in Idaho sold a hunt to a guy from Houston for the SCI record bull elk on their place. He paid $80k for it. I would bet this whitetail went for somewhere around $75k.
The Fall Guy
AG
No canned hunts for me. We have a couple of managers in our office that have mounts on their wall. That are like the deer in the OP's post. Ridiculous and obviously canned. I almost got fired making fun of one of the managers animal head mounts in a meeting. He got defensive and then others in the room agreed he was kind of a hunter wannabe.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Hunting snobbery at work, with a boss.... sounds like a solid career move....

When keepin' it real, goes wrong....
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Serious question:

If you had a vendor offer to take you on a hunt for a 180" deer for "free", would you not do it?

Cause I would in a heartbeat... I would just own what it is and not rub it in people's faces like it was an accomplishment. Talking high fenced deer not pen deer.
AgEng06
AG
Agreed.
powerbelly
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Serious question:

If you had a vendor offer to take you on a hunt for a 180" deer for "free", would you not do it?

Cause I would in a heartbeat... I would just own what it is and not rub it in people's faces like it was an accomplishment. Talking high fenced deer not pen deer.
I would go for the sake of the business relationship, and enjoy the time outdoors.
Bitter Old Man
AG
You guys can look down on canned hunts all you want, but the guys that can plunk down $20k for a deer don't always have time to spend every weekend stalking deer for years on end, and taking care of a lease and filling feeders, checking cameras, etc. They want the experience of going out on a "hunt," but its also about getting outside and away from life for a weekend. They can afford to pay someone else to do the rest of it.

Is it harvesting livestock? Yeah, probably. Should it count as a record? Probably not. But, even canned hunts require a minimal amount of sport. You still have to be able to shoot straight. So, push the spectacles back up your nose and give these operations a break.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

You guys can look down on canned hunts all you want, but the guys that can plunk down $20k for a deer don't always have time to spend every weekend stalking deer for years on end, and taking care of a lease and filling feeders, checking cameras, etc. They want the experience of going out on a "hunt," but its also about getting outside and away from life for a weekend. They can afford to pay someone else to do the rest of it.

Is it harvesting livestock? Yeah, probably. Should it count as a record? Probably not. But, even canned hunts require a minimal amount of sport. You still have to be able to shoot straight. So, push the spectacles back up your nose and give these operations a break.
Never!

ttha_aggie_09
AG
With the exception of hunting a buck in a <100acre pasture, I agree.

I think the majority of normal hunters (maybe it's just me) get aggravated on how the baramoter for being a hunter or good hunter is all about bone and nothing else nowadays.... I get frustrated when guys that couldn't clean a deer to save their live can write a check and shoot some monster deer, only to leverage that into any conversation about hunting and how "good" they are.

It generally doesn't bother me it just gets annoying after awhile.
Sean98
AG
Interesting question and honestly I'm not sure I can answer it until/if it happens (and I don't have "vendors" per se, so it'll never happen). I have certainly participated in "kick & shoot" pheasant hunts for work. It makes for early season dog work, but isn't particularly exciting.

If a vendor asked me to go, I don't know that I would. I'd rather go shoot sporting clays or play golf. But if a client wanted to go I think that'd change the dynamic. You might be forced to participate at that point. Lord knows I do things I'd rather not in order to keep clients happy.
agwrestler
AG
BurrOak said:

Furlock Bones said:

powerbelly51 said:

Furlock Bones said:

I thought this was going to be about the monster 270 inch shot in North Texas that's been discussed on Texas bow hunter for the last couple of weeks.

Link?
Here's what I have read so far. TPWD currently is holding the carcass of a potential state record taken in North Texas.

Picture was posted on FB and then to texasbowhunter of a guy that posts regularly on there.

Turns out he made a bad shot the first night and saw the same deer 2 days later and made another shot.
Multiple things in play right now.
1) he may have been hunting an area he didn't have permission to hunt
2) the 2nd shot seems to have come well after legal shooting hours

Unfortunately, the threads keep getting deleted.
I've followed along somewhat over there about that buck. It's not sounding good for the guy. Here is the buck. Denton County, supposedly scored 271".

What's the difference between this and blood-trailing a buck you shot at dusk and as you approach it, he jumps to his feet and staggers off. Do you put another arrow in him despite it being after shooting light?
Credible Source
AG
I don't understand how that picture was taken in broad daylight if he shot the deer at night. Did he decide not to clean it and overcome rigor mortis to pose the deer that way ahead of time? Doesn't add up
AggieBuck, meal credit, cash, outbound?
TexasAggie_02
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Serious question:

it's like a Yeti. I sure as hell wouldn't waste my money on it, but I will damn sure take one for free
Blue Duck
AG
The story I heard said he shot the deer and wounded it initially with a bow and arrow, then used a rifle to finish off the job the next day. I'm not 100% sure that's a fact but it's part of the story floating around.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
user name checks out
agdad4x
that place looks just like my huntin camp - specially the swimin pool - haha lol
jmm
I am in total agreement with BOM. Within the small confines of the OB on TexAgs, hunting behind a fence is mocked by a few, but I don't agree. I guide as a hobby and have been doing so the past 15 years. All on high fence ranches. The ranches stay booked a couple of years in advance and there is always a waiting list. All of these guys are busy executives that do not have the time to lease, scout for deer, fill feeders and check game cameras. They can carve out 3 or 4 days and get away from the grind of the business world. They happily pay to come out and relax, which is effectively what all of us do. We are not hunting deer to feed our families. We may eat the meat, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper to buy it at the grocery store.

Where I guide, there is not any net income realized. The prices paid generally cover the operating expenses of the ranch on a good year, and subsidize part of the costs on an off year. Some years I will have guys who want a 200+ inch deer and willing to pay $20+ thousand for it, but we just can't find one. They end up paying $500/day for lodging and meals. That is a money loser for the ranch and it happens all the time. I just got back from guiding and two hunters did not see a management deer(+/- 150 inches mature 8-10 point) during their three day stay. They went home happy to have been outdoors for three days away from the office and want to come back again.

giddings_ag_06
AG
jmm said:

I just got back from guiding and two hunters did not see a management deer(+/- 150 inches mature 8-10 point) during their three day stay.

Sounds like they needed a better guide...
GSS
Bitter Old Man said:

Nothin' like starting at the top, with your $20k deer. Makes my first deer (3-pointer) I killed as a youth (after a couple of years of deer hunting) a dismal failure...

And I'm guessing we would define "a hunt" in a totally different manner.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Gunny456
AG
Slippery slope here on the definition of a "canned hunt". So if you have a high fenced 2500 acres of typical Texas Hill country land with Cedar/Brush/ Oaks so thick your average range is at most 25 yards or so and multiple canyons that are deep and impassable to ATV's and 4WD.
Along with this you have a total deer population density of 21 acres/deer. No pen raised deer on the place, No Scientific Breeders Permit. All the deer on the ranch are born-there-in-the-wild native hill country whitetails. Most hunting done by still hunting/stalk and no drive around "safari style" hunting.
Blind and feeder hunting used only for doe and management buck "killing" (certainly don't want to offend someone by saying harvesting) or for older family members who no longer can walk all day....or kids trying to get there first deer.
Also need to say that this ranch is surrounded by 50 acre/100 acre and 300 acre ranches who lease out to hunters that kill anything with calcium on their heads and don't know what "game management means".
So this landowner of the high fence is doing "canned hunts" and is a bad guy right??????????
Credible Source
AG
GSS said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Nothin' like starting at the top, with your $20k deer. Makes my first deer (3-pointer) I killed as a youth (after a couple of years of deer hunting) a dismal failure...

And I'm guessing we would define "a hunt" in a totally different manner.

I don't see anywhere in that paragraph where he said it was their first deer, is that you assuming?
GSS
Generic statement, generic response...as if it matters whether it's deer #1, or 2, or 3...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Apache
AG
It's the pen breeding & importing bucks like livestock I detest.

Apache
AG
Quote:

Makes my first deer (3-pointer) I killed as a youth (after a couple of years of deer hunting) a dismal failure...
No first deer killed as a youth could ever be considered a dismal failure IMO. Unless the person taking the kid out had them break laws to get said deer.
WC87
AG
Quote:

What's the difference between this and blood-trailing a buck you shot at dusk and as you approach it, he jumps to his feet and staggers off. Do you put another arrow in him despite it being after shooting light?
I have a question on this as well. It's after shooting light when you find him. The deer jumps and staggers off but looks hard hit, although you certainly do not know if it is fatal. Do you stick him again? And if so, are you poaching?

Gunny456
AG
Apache....well said my friend. My family did not have much dough growing up but my dad worked his butt off. He would take me hunting when he could get an invite and usually it was at the end of the season and we never saw a deer. I did not kill my first "buck" until I was 18 years old. He was a spike on one side and broken off on the other. I still have that memory......its just as special trophy to me now as any bucks I have killed sense. That hunt spurred a desire in me try and make my living in the outdoors. End result I attended TAMU and got a degree in WFS. Really all due to that special day when I got my little "trophy buck".
Credible Source
AG
GSS said:

Generic statement, generic response...as if it matters whether it's deer #1, or 2, or 3...

Huh? I don't think either statements were generic. You definitely seemed to think it mattered that they "started at the top". Kind of seems like butt hurt actually

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.