Outdoors
Sponsored by

Monster deer shot in Louise Texas (possible state record)

23,463 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Shot on the 7oaks ranch. Gross is around 470 and has 67 points. A guy from church showed me the picture this morning.

Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
I'm not trying to bury the lede or anything, but why are there two ice makers in this photo?
DDSO
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
http://m.leader-news.com/sports/article_43fd7064-bb68-11e7-a159-07d72ae19e76.html?mode=jqm

There was an article in the paper yesterday. You have to have a membership to view the whole article, the important part at least.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Enlighten me, is that a game ranch?

My thought is that if deer are raised to be monster bucks (like a commercial deer breeder or high fenced game ranch) then they should not qualify for record books.
CharlieBrown17
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Why does everyone suck at taking pictures with or of deer? Jesus... this is some monster (although I hate non-typical deer) and you tie a rope around it's antlers and take a picture in front of two ice makers... really?

We need a how to take pictures with your deer thread
jabberwalkie09
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

I'm not trying to bury the lede or anything, but why are there two ice makers in this photo?

Because probably using a banana for scale wouldn't work, do justice in this instance.
SteveBott
AG
At least the tongue was not hanging out
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This is true. Could be worse
giddings_ag_06
AG
Wow, what an accomplishment for that hunter!! I can only imagine how hard that hunt was and how much time they spent scouting and tracking him down!! You definitely can't get a deer like that without working your ass off and putting in a lot of effort.

Yeaaaaa, jk...
ursusguy
AG
They have some interesting drone work.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Monster is correct. Of the engineered freak variety.
dr_boogs
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Why does everyone suck at taking pictures with or of deer? Jesus... this is some monster (although I hate non-typical deer) and you tie a rope around it's antlers and take a picture in front of two ice makers... really?

We need a how to take pictures with your deer thread

This times 1000. I couldn't find it but Sean had a thread a couple years ago making fun of some epically bad deer trophy photos. Wish I could have found it - hilarious. Hopefully he'll be along to re-post or link that thread. He had a bunch of terrible photos each w a name and a commentary. The "tea-bagger" was classic.

How hard is it to take a photo in the field, tongue in (hunter's and the deer), rifle pointed in a safe direction, light behind the photographer, frame free of empty beer cans and other junk like ice makers?
Furlock Bones
AG
I thought this was going to be about the monster 270 inch shot in North Texas that's been discussed on Texas bow hunter for the last couple of weeks.
aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
Apache
AG
At least they took the time to remove the ear tag for the photo.
OnlyForNow
AG
My dad would argue that the sun or light needs to be in your face to take a good picture so it doesn't back light the deer or you and your face is more visible.
Kenneth_2003
AG
That's what the Doc said... Light behind the Photographer, which is light in the face of teh subject.

Oh and that engineered freak is ugly as fook!
JAG03
AG
Wonder how much that cost to shoot. Also looks like a cool science project.
ursusguy
AG
Damn photographers trying to blind people.

I kid, my wife is generally posses my eyes are closed in most photos.
Badace52
AG
That deer was bred and engineered. Deer like that don't exist naturally near Louise, TX
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BurrOak
AG
Nice livestock.

I guess
mwlkr
AG
You might look at the 78 point buck shot in McCollough County in the late 1800s. Looks nearly the same. The mount is at the Buckhorn Hall of Horns in San Antonio.
OnlyForNow
AG
Oops my bad.
tmaggie50
AG
This is just stupid
FSGuide
I'm assuming SCI and not B&C or P&Y
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Well here is my opinion

1) would I pay to shoot that, no.

2) will I ever shoot a deer like that, no

3) is that deer just as much as deer as the spikes and does I shoot, yes

4) did this get somebody outdoors and enjoying nature and wildlife, probably

Who are we to take that deer away from them? Hunters seem to take away from other hunters just as bad as the Antis do. I don't care if you used a longbow, crossbow, spear, rifle, or strangled the sumbeetch with your non dominate hand blindfolded. At least your enjoyed yourself in the wild.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Blue Duck
AG
Give me Lynyrd every day of the week over that thing.
NRH ag 10
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Well here is my opinion

1) would I pay to shoot that, no.

2) will I ever shoot a deer like that, no

3) is that deer just as much as deer as the spikes and does I shoot, yes

4) did this get somebody outdoors and enjoying nature and wildlife, probably

Who are we to take that deer away from them? Hunters seem to take away from other hunters just as bad as the Antis do. I don't care if you used a longbow, crossbow, spear, rifle, or strangled the sumbeetch with your non dominate hand blindfolded. At least your enjoyed yourself in the wild.

I don't typically think of shooting livestock as enjoying nature or wildlife.

Canned hunts are something I do not wish to be associated with, and I will **** talk people who do them and call it hunting until the pen raised deer come home.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You might not but if some "City Slicker" with a lot of money and no outdoor experience does, who cares?

The more that support conservation the better. It sucks to see canned hunts and deer like this get "hunted" but if it adds more people to support the outdoors, I'm okay with it.

I just get pissed when people throw it in your face as a measure of hunting ability or success. Yeah, sure... if I had $8k to throw at a deer I would have a 180 too. Doesn't make me Jim Shockey.
MouthBQ98
AG
Looks like someone glued a bunch of antler pieces on a big stick...
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
I find it a little ironic the more you pay for a deer the uglier they get.
Sean98
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You might not but if some "City Slicker" with a lot of money and no outdoor experience does, who cares?

The more that support conservation the better. It sucks to see canned hunts and deer like this get "hunted" but if it adds more people to support the outdoors, I'm okay with it.

The question is, at what point do these types of ventures erode support more than they add to it. Outside the State of Texas (and maybe even there) these menu-board type operations turn the general public off and provide more anti hunting fuel than they do pro hunting support.

It's the guy carrying an AR into HEB scaring soccer Mom's just to prove he can. Nothing legally wrong with it, but they're not helping the cause.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.