Outdoors
Sponsored by

Since we already did bug a salts....

8,018 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
TheEyeGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Thoughts on this year's xmas buy being deep south barrels?
drummer0415
AG
Are these the DIY whiskey aging barrels?
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm in for a one liter if these are what we're talking about

http://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/create/Oak-Barrels?c=234153
AggieChemist
AgEng06
AG
Great idea. They should be here just in time for Easter.

dahouse
AG
I have a couple of the 2-liter ones. They are awesome. I took the caps off of mine last summer and re-charred them.
Tree Hugger
AG
This idea. I like it.
Caliber
metrag06
SweaterVest
The Wonderer
AG
I still need to pick up my Bug A Salts.
MROD92
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Waiting to hear pricing/volume/timeframe. If it's not going to be similar to bug asalts... order for two weeks then take two weeks (except the hurricane) we aren't going to do them.
Thisguy1
Been itching to pull the trigger on one of these for a while. This may push me over the top.
18 USC 3056 Ag
AG
In.
Fore warned is fore armed.
ATX_AG_08
AG
In
FatZilla
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Thoughts on this year's xmas buy being deep south barrels?
Own one, its fun to use the first few times but becomes more of a pita after a while. Not to mention you lose quite a bit of spirits with them (usually between a third and 1/2 depending on length of aging). I just leave mine filled with water now as a decorative piece. You always want moisture in them so the wood doesn't dry out and crack or open gaps in the barrel. They do customized routering on them as well so if yall do this, I would look into that option.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I kept mine running all the time till we moved. Loved having it rolling. You do lose some. Was already planning on having a couple options for engraving on them.
Ags-R-Better
I have nothing to add about their barrels, but on my drive into work yesterday from Katy on I-10 I did see a truck with a Deep South Barrels logo on the side and a huuuuge "Send Nudes" sticker covering his back window. Wanted to take a picture but the sticker was maroon and didn't show up well against the tint. Not sure if that's a clever pun for wooden barrels that I don't get, or if the guy just likes to party; no number was posted to send nudes to.

Carry on...
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
What if you set one of these up on a thumbler's tumbler?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

What if you set one of these up on a thumbler's tumbler?
Trying to figure out of that would speed up the "aging", cause problems, or even matter....
Premium
AG
EyeGuy... wonder if you sell branded (your brand) products like Arctic cups, shirts (camo?) if it would be worth your time.

I'm sure a lot of people would like to buy something from you but may not always be in the market for a new gun. And, your brand will be top of mind when they are ready.

You may already sell a bunch of this stuff - I am ignorant on all of your product offerings. But, it does seem like a good group buy opportunity.
jfbdvm
AG
Ignorant, but what are they.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Premium said:

EyeGuy... wonder if you sell branded (your brand) products like Arctic cups, shirts (camo?) if it would be worth your time.

I'm sure a lot of people would like to buy something from you but may not always be in the market for a new gun. And, your brand will be top of mind when they are ready.

You may already sell a bunch of this stuff - I am ignorant on all of your product offerings. But, it does seem like a good group buy opportunity.
I've looked into some of this. We do have hats/tshirts and will be doing more. I was about two conversations with a chinese dude away from having our own molded Ramblers with the dillo on them but backed off because of the mold pricing.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Premium said:

I've looked into some of this. We do have hats/tshirts and will be doing more. I was about two conversations with a chinese dude away from having our own molded Ramblers with the dillo on them but backed off because of the mold pricing.
And on the subject... I will be getting a few of the barrels for myself/partner/etc with our logo. Thought about doing them with the dillo but didn't think many would want that to be branded. I'm thinking doing three options... Blank, Texas Flag, and Gonzalez Flag
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
jfbdvm said:

Ignorant, but what are they.
Small casks (barrels) that you can use to age spirits in. It's cool and looks really cool to have it set up. Also really awesome to have one running and be able to pour a drink straight from it for people.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Thought process on this is do put something out there that is cheap enough that if someone wants one, they'll get it for themselves or they can get it as a gift for someone.
jfbdvm
AG
Thanks..
MROD92
In
wadd96
AG
Are you talking individual custom engraving, or creating a limited set of options? Reason I ask is that I would want one for my Dad with the ranch brand on it... He's not an Ag so don't need one with A&M on it...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
malenurse
AG
For a custom logo you should deal directly with Deep South. They offer laser engraving on all of their barrels.

Edit: And I'm in if the deal goes through. Would love a 2L with Gonzales Flag.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
wadd96 said:

Are you talking individual custom engraving, or creating a limited set of options? Reason I ask is that I would want one for my Dad with the ranch brand on it... He's not an Ag so don't need one with A&M on it...
I'm think custom logos would take too long and to be honest, if this is a 30-40 unit order, a pure nightmare on logistics. Can't do the ATM logo due to copyright so that leaves blank, texas flag, Gonzales flag as the main options. If someone wants one with the Dillo, that will be available as well, but I am not really expecting a bunch of people wanting that... tho the dillo is cool! This is still up in the air right this second, got the process started last week but still haven't heard back final pricing/timeframes so I'll bug them again monday and hopefully get info. If not, it won't be on my mind at all until I get the costas out the door then I'll pick it back up.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
malenurse said:

For a custom logo you should deal directly with Deep South. They offer laser engraving on all of their barrels.

Edit: And I'm in if the deal goes through. Would love a 2L with Gonzales Flag.
That's definitely the plan.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
There's a way to find out...

I would think, if the barrel can roll, it would be like continually riddling the barrel.

So I suppose it depends if the reactions need time to gently occur, or if they need interaction with the wood.

I'm guessing something in between.

Maybe put one on a timer?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
If someone has a tumbler, I'd be open to experimenting. All in the name of science, right?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.