Outdoors
Sponsored by

Displaying Indian Arrowheads

13,442 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mojave
ADW99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have quite a few arrowheads my Grandfather found in Blooming Grove, TX when he was a kid. I'd like to create a display for my man cave with some of the nicer pieces and I'm seeking cool ideas/suggestions. You can see what I've started to lay out and the rest of the pieces on the table, but wanted to explore other ideas or patterns before using the hot glue gun. I have plenty of filler pieces left in the box if I were to do some type of mosaic.

aggiedent
AG
First let me say, that's cool you're going to display them. Second, it makes me sad. Before I was born, my parents found a bunch near Washington on the Brazos, but they were stolen in the 80's. I really hate people at times. Third, I'd do whatever you like best. Maybe a google search would give you some good ideas.
aggieland09
AG
Very cool. I like collecting arrowhead that I find and its cool to see that many. He must have spent a lifetime collecting. Good luck.
aggieland09
AG
Personally I like to be able to flip them over and look at both sides. I would't want to glue them down. One option would be some sort of foam backing to hold them in place while hanging on the wall or on and shelf but you could still pop it open and show them off if you wanted.

Papa_Blaze
AG

I like the felt background look, myself. The photo is from my brothers future father-in-law. Was told he has 10-15 more cases just like the ones shown, all found on his property
Bird Poo
AG
Papa_Blaze said:

I like the felt background look, myself. The photo is from my brothers future father-in-law. Was told he has 10-15 more cases just like the ones shown, all found on his property
That is an absolutely incredible collection. Hill country?
Papa_Blaze
AG
Leakey,TX
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Do you think you have enough to do a mosaic of arrowheads shaped like an arrowhead?
ADW99
AG
Thanks for the suggestions so far - keep them coming! Credit to kayakag for giving me the idea of making the State of Texas. Grandpa was a Texas boy through and through. I also incorporated some of his A&M and WWII memorabilia. I need to adjust the border a tad, but liking how this is coming out so far. Papa_Blaze - that is an incredible collection - Love it!

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Papa_Blaze said:

Color me jealous.
ADW99
AG
Yes. I have used about half of them in the Texas mosaic above.
ADW99
AG
Any idea how those are attached to the felt?
Papa_Blaze
AG
My brother says theyre just pressed down by the glass
Central Committee
AG
I have done the same (though a much smaller collection). Have the foam thick enough to press the arrowheads firmly against the glass. It is difficult to have large arrowheads next to small ones due to the naturally larger indention made.

That said, the display case must be treated gently or they do move around.

Beautiful collection. Jealous here as well.
curry97
AG
Papa_Blaze said:

Very nice collection. My Uncle has a collection like that and many 5 gallon buckets filled that he hasn't even touched. He found most of them near Bremond.
AZAG08
AG
Central Committee said:

I have done the same (though a much smaller collection). Have the foam thick enough to press the arrowheads firmly against the glass. It is difficult to have large arrowheads next to small ones due to the naturally larger indention made.

That said, the display case must be treated gently or they do move around.

Beautiful collection. Jealous here as well.
I have the same type of setup with a bunch of shark teeth I found. The biggest one is a little bigger than a quarter
Varying sizes close together make it tough but glass pressed into foam is the way to go

Good looking collection
Jason Ag
AG
Papa_Blaze said:

Leakey,TX

I know someone near Camp Wood with a similar situation. Very good craftsman from that area apparently.
bmfvet
AG
Papa_Blaze said:

Does that guy have another daughter?

I like the felt colored foam displays as well. I'll try to post some pics of mine later. I need to get Agrams to make some out of mesquite with inlaid turquoise.
EFE
AG
One my Dad did for me out of a few of the arrow heads found on our property
MouthBQ98
AG
Some anthropologists would probably love to look over the collection and the geography, though I know nobody wants to risk Uncle Sam taking over parts of their land.
ADW99
AG
That's awesome! Are those glued in or held in by the glass?
MouthBQ98
AG
Also, all but the tiniest heads are spear or atlatl dart points.
EFE
AG
Glued down. Dad tried to do one with the glass holding the heads and couldn't get them to hold in place like wanted, so pinned them to the felt backing with Gorilla glue. Probably not what a museum would recommend, but it's a piece of the home place and the ranch and I wouldn't change a thing about it.
ADW99
AG
Thanks. I've decided to go with the glue gun so that I can do the State of Texas mosaic I posted earlier. I tested a couple of pieces, and they stick well to the backing, but also comes off fairly easy in case I decide to do something different down the road. I ordered a couple of the smaller cases with foam for some of the pieces that I'm not using. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Mojave
AG
Well I don't know how to post pictures on this website or I would.
Here are a couple links to another forum where I, aka "Swamprat" posted a few.

Outdoor displays on page 3 & 4:
http://www.arrowheadology.com/forums/arrowheads-and-indian-artifacts/50867-here-what-i-do-my-brokes-what-do-you-do-2.html?highlight=lizard&s=5d6326c4a397c5f9e8315951a325be6c

A few indoor frames on page 28:
http://www.arrowheadology.com/forums/arrowheads-and-indian-artifacts/56370-favorite-case-28.html
Mojave
AG
Sorry, the first one was pages 2 & 3...
Mojave
AG
test:
https://ibb.co/cf6BQb
BrazosDog02
AG
My father and I spent most of our lives collecting all over this state. We have tried several methods for mounting the really nice ones. We do not display ours. However, we could if we wished. The method we settled on is the foam as shown in previous posts. Pick a felt color you like. The thing about this method, for us, is that it allows us to have them catalogued, and we can open the case for personal study and inspection if we want. It does not damage the artifact and it's just a good way that works for us.
Mojave
AG
one more try:
Mojave
AG
oh i give up...
BlueMiles
AG
Mojave, your imgbb link works, and I'm about to go back and look at your image some more.

But I can not see your images on arrowheadology. Anyone else?

Enjoying this thread, as I inherited a collection in a box and wanted to give them some more respect.
ADW99
AG
Here's the final product. I appreciate all of the suggestions, but once I laid out the Texas mosaic, I knew that was the one. I did buy a couple of smaller cases with the foam backing for some of the leftover pieces. I think this turned out great!

ADW99
AG
I could not view on my cell, but the site works on the desktop. Those are fantastic!!
Papa_Blaze
schmellba99
AG
Edit - Not mine, posting mojave's pictures. No mfbarnes going on here...

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.