Outdoors
Sponsored by

Displaying Indian Arrowheads

13,448 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mojave
Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That table is the tits
Aggies Revenge
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Glued down. Dad tried to do one with the glass holding the heads and couldn't get them to hold in place like wanted, so pinned them to the felt backing with Gorilla glue. Probably not what a museum would recommend, but it's a piece of the home place and the ranch and I wouldn't change a thing about it.
You're damn right we wouldn't!!!

I would go with an archival wax. Downfall of that is making sure that the case never gets so warms the wax softens after placement. Wire would be another way to go but is too visible. Given the options seen so far, hot glue would be the best for preservation purposes and should not damage the arrowhead. Gorilla glue would be a ***** to get all the residue off in the long run.

MouthBQ98
AG
Hot glue is easy to remove.
EFE
AG
Would it really piss you off if he put together another 11 boxes that size in that exact same fashion?

(Dad's thoughts on the gorilla glue was that we'd keep them forever, which we will, and he didn't want the glue to quit on us)
Aggies Revenge
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Would it really piss you off if he put together another 11 boxes that size in that exact same fashion?

(Dad's thoughts on the gorilla glue was that we'd keep them forever, which we will, and he didn't want the glue to quit on us)
Main issue would be what you would do when the felt fades after 20 years or and needs to be replaced.
MouthBQ98
AG
Most any glue can be removed with the proper solvent. Most solvents would not harm the stone. Just very tedious.
trip
AG
These are awesome.

Let me warn you. My dad is a defense attorney. An arrowhead collector got into huge trouble looking for arrowheads. long story short, he started a dig site, but did not know the area was claimed by the Indian tribe (it was also on Fort Hood). This was classified as destroying a historical area. When it started, he was looking at a $750,000 fine and 5 years in jail.

Just know where you are looking.
Mojave
AG
Anyone digging on Ft Hood deserves to have the book thrown at him. That is a lot of broken laws, the least of which is the local Indian claims. There are Many examples of laws and controversy. Sometimes they get blown out of proportion too.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.