Outdoors
Sponsored by

Buying a new truck

9,994 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggielandcu
RO519
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never done it before, but considering buying a new truck. What are your tips and tricks?
RickSawyer
AG
Find a truck you like that fits your needs and buy it.
tlfw378
AG
Have a big wallet...
DrEvazanPhD
Prepare your anus. The dealerships are going in raw.

But seriously...negotiate final price, and don't go crazy on the options.

Follow up: what are you going to be using it for?
MAROON
AG
Go to a Toyota dealership
RO519
AG
Daily driver, but I also drag a bassboat 2-3 time a month into east Texas from Houston. I currently have a 2011 1500 with 140K miles on it. It is starting to have some issues, which is why I am considering replacement.

Ideally, I would like to get a 2500 with a duramax, but the price tag on em is hard to swallow. I like to have a nice interior due to my commute, so I won't get a stripped down model.

The price of the LTZ 1500's is higher than I expected looking around online.
FancyKetchup14
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

Prepare your anus. The dealerships are going in raw.

But seriously...negotiate final price, and don't go crazy on the options.

Follow up: what are you going to be using it for?
If I know OP like I think I do this shouldn't be an issue.
LSB_2002
AG
RO519 said:

Daily driver, but I also drag a bassboat 2-3 time a month into east Texas from Houston. I currently have a 2011 1500 with 140K miles on it. It is starting to have some issues, which is why I am considering replacement.

Ideally, I would like to get a 2500 with a duramax, but the price tag on em is hard to swallow. I like to have a nice interior due to my commute, so I won't get a stripped down model.

Issues at 140k miles???

Might want to consider the Ford F250!!!
EskimoJoe
Get a 72" condo sleeper, air ride suspension, cab, and seat, air slide fifth wheel, and the most lights and chrome you can.
RickSawyer
AG
RO519 said:

Prepare for multiple posts from folks telling you that you don't need a duramax 2500 to pull a bass boat twice a month.

And I agree with them but do whatever the hell you want with your cash. Lord knows I make some irrational decision.

-Rick
aTm2004
AG
What issues is your current truck having? At 140k miles, there's still plenty of life left in the truck with some routine maintenance and minor repairs. You may spend $800 one time for a repair, or you can spend $5-900 each month for a new truck.

As far as tips:
- Negotiate price, not monthly payments
- If paying cash, do not let them know that nor tell them how much you have
- Have financing already lined up at a bank or credit union, but also see what the manufacture is offering. You can always refinance at a later date
- They may have a $x,xxx back or x.x% offer going. If you have financing lined up, you have an idea of what rate you can get elsewhere, so taking the money may be better overall. Be aware that if you take the money, the rate they offer will suck, so just go down in a week or so and refinance
- Don't be afraid to walk out if you can't reach an agreement. If you do reach an agreement, keep your guard up and make sure they don't try to trick you into something outside of the agreement during the signing process. Review everything and ensure they're not sneaking in something.
- Most important: do not get emotionally attached to a vehicle. If you do, you will be more likely to get suckered in or make a decision that will have a negative financial impact. The sales guy will sense this as well.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

Be aware that if you take the money, the rate they offer will suck, so just go down in a week or so and refinance
If you like your dealer and F&I guy I would wait for a few payments before refinancing.

Those guys don't get credit if you refi right away.
EskimoJoe
LSB_2002 said:

RO519 said:

Issues at 140k miles???

Might want to consider the Ford F250!!!

So you can have issues (engine failure) at 30k miles like we did.

The current generation powerstroke created a gasser only policy company wide for us, excluding OTR trucks of course.
RO519
AG
I guess I should clarify, first major issue happened today. It sounded like a hub assembly/wheel bearing coming apart driving to work. Then it threw a service stabilitrack and traction control off codes.
RO519
AG
RickSawyer said:

RO519 said:

Prepare for multiple posts from folks telling you that you don't need a duramax 2500 to pull a bass boat twice a month.

And I agree with them but do whatever the hell you want with your cash. Lord knows I make some irrational decision.

-Rick
Twice a month is the average. Some months its more, others it is less. We also travel further than east Texas like I mentioned. The guys I fish tournaments with all run diesels and I have trouble keeping up when we get in the hills, and I get to stop way more to re-fuel.
Strongwind86
AG
RO519 said:

Never done it before, but considering buying a new truck. What are your tips and tricks?

When you decide what brand you want, go post over on the Auto board.
There are a few dealer contacts in/around Houston (and Dallas also) that take care of Aggies. Usually no BS deals. I knew what I wanted and took it from there.

Used a contact thru the Auto board to get my 2016 F150 Lariat FX4 in Houston. Pretty straightforward.
schmellba99
AG
I know this will bring out the worms in the woodworks, but if you are looking at pulling only a bass boat a few times here and there, look into the Dodge and Nissan 1/2 ton diesels. Significantly more power and better mileage than gas engines and they get a lot better mileage and have much better handling and power towing than comparable gas engines.

The drawback is going to be DEF and emissions, of which DEF isn't that big of a deal or cost and emissions are on both gas and diesels these days.
dustin999
AG
Just bought a RAM 1500 about 6 months ago and love it.

I used Truecar to negotiate my price, or I should say, I used USAA which goes through Truecar and saved me an extra $500 to $1000 because of a rebate from USAA.

I tried negotiating directly with the dealerships but couldn't get a price comparable with Truecar/USAA. If you're not a member of USAA, check Costco or any other club/affiliation as they may have discounts, and these discounts get added on top of the negotiated price + dealer discounts from the dealerships.

In my case, I bought from a Dodge dealership in New Braunfels that, at least from my understanding, does massive volume and makes most of their money off volume incentives/bonuses from Dodge. This is probably b.s. but I heard it from multiple people, not just the dealership. I guess the idea is they care more about the bonus from the volume than the small margin on the sell.

End of month is always good. You've got 3 days, hurry up!
cbr
AG
1. make sure you identify what you will really use it for
2. modern diesels drive well, but have been rendered almost useless by unreliable DEF bull***** They have a hugely high failure rate, with numerous weak points in the system - not even counting the fact that they will choose to stop running if you run low on their bull**** fluid, which you have to add all the time and cannot stockpile because it goes bad so quickly. (some democrat made a fortune off that bull**** regulation). and lord help you if you put old or wet diesel in it.
3. in general, GM has the best drivetrain, wiring harnesses, and brakes, ford has the best interiors and bodies, dodge is a decent compromise at the price, yota is about like the dodge,
4. they all have lots of annoying bull**** counterproductive electronics, it is even starting to interfere with work truck trim levels. most are now 4-7 year disposable trucks because of it, so dont count on keeping it.

honestly, for me as a rancher/often off road/car hauler tower/office highway daily driver, i chose a GMC 6.0 gas 2500 work truck, after my duramax proved it was not worth having.. then swapped long blocks and tuning for 600/600 hp/tq.

i hated the GMC 1500 LTZ electronics, electric steering, and tiny gas tank, and the brakes sucked. I loved the 2017 duramax but couldnt rely on it, the ford and dodge 2500's were not nimble enough and still had DEF issues, the 1500's other brands were all way too weak for my needs, none had enough power for my tastes,

i did like my 2011 raptor but it was really underpowered and got terrible mileage, and as it aged ford's parts are stupid high (transmission was $6000.... a 2011 GM 6l80E transmission is a MUCH better transmission and you can get it for $1800).

i didnt really want an older diesel with tuning and DEF delete, due to the commie bull**** regs, fuel pump situation, etc., and i didnt have time to do what i really wanted, which was to build a classic truck body on a modern chassis.

so there is my unconventional but well educated answer.
ursusguy
AG
Have a price in your head you can work with. Find truck close to that price. Start laughing and saying "no". Be willing to walk.

My wife laughed the last two times because there literally was no negotiating. She knows I get a pleasure out of pissing of salesmen....like a previous poster mentioned, don't get emotionally attached and don't be afraid to get up and walk out. Amazing how fast they can suddenly lower the price more, or add more goodies. Don't be afraid to play with your your own numbers in front of the finance guys.
CactusThomas
AG
schmellba99 said:

look into the Dodge and Nissan 1/2 ton diesels. Significantly more power and better mileage than gas engines and they get a lot better mileage and have much better handling and power towing than comparable gas engines.

Significantly more power?

The eco diesel makes about 10 ft-lbs more torque and about half as much hp as the hemi. That motor would be under powered in a vw coupe. I don't know anything about the Datsun.

0-60 in the eco diesel is approaching 10 seconds making it risky to enter the highway.
Kenneth_2003
AG
once you know what you want...

1) negotiate price
2) negotiate trade
3) negotiate payment

Do NOT combine these steps. Salesmen talk fast and like to focus on monthly payment, thus confusing 1 and 2. People drive away not knowing what they actually paid.
Aggieangler93
AG
I don't understand why anyone would ever buy a new truck unless they can expense it to a business. Is this due to not being able to find a demo unit or slightly used model for exactly what they want? Does it have to do with thinking the used one will have problems?

It just seems like a waste to me for the average guy pulling a boat or trailer 3 or 4 times a year, like I do. I bought my last truck with 16K miles on it, and plan to do something about the same every time. It was about 8-10K off what it would have been for a new one.

What are the general reasons for wanting to buy a new one, if you make less than $300K and can't write it off for work? I'm genuinely interested in this.....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
powerbelly
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I don't understand why anyone would ever buy a new truck unless they can expense it to a business. Is this due to not being able to find a demo unit or slightly used model for exactly what they want? Does it have to do with thinking the used one will have problems?

It just seems like a waste to me for the average guy pulling a boat or trailer 3 or 4 times a year, like I do. I bought my last truck with 16K miles on it, and plan to do something about the same every time. It was about 8-10K off what it would have been for a new one.

What are the general reasons for wanting to buy a new one, if you make less than $300K and can't write it off for work? I'm genuinely interested in this.....
The price of a new truck with rebates is often less or close to the price of a used truck.
AgEng06
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

The price of a new truck with rebates is often less or close to the price of a used truck.
This. Go look at used vs new truck prices. You'll probably be surprised...
Aggieangler93
AG
Ok...that's a logical argument...

I think I am in for a shock anyway, as I am on year 11 with my 2006. That's 7 years of free-to-me!!!

I guess the benefit of a government bailout to a major player in the truck market, is that we all get to pay higher prices for our next truck?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Sailor
140K? Sheepdip, man, my 2007 Tundra has just gotten its legs under it at 145K. I expect to double that in the next ten years. That will be 16 years without payments!

Mind you, I have always maintained it according to schedule...
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Ok...that's a logical argument...

I think I am in for a shock anyway, as I am on year 11 with my 2006. That's 7 years of free-to-me!!!

I guess the benefit of a government bailout to a major player in the truck market, is that we all get to pay higher prices for our next truck?
You are in for a serious shock. T&P's.
schmellba99
AG
CactusThomas said:

schmellba99 said:

look into the Dodge and Nissan 1/2 ton diesels. Significantly more power and better mileage than gas engines and they get a lot better mileage and have much better handling and power towing than comparable gas engines.

Significantly more power?

The eco diesel makes about 10 ft-lbs more torque and about half as much hp as the hemi. That motor would be under powered in a vw coupe. I don't know anything about the Datsun.

0-60 in the eco diesel is approaching 10 seconds making it risky to enter the highway.
The one I test drove had zero issue getting up to speed. It was running 29mpg on the highway. Most reports I've read show them getting in the high 20's on the highway, low 20's in town and mid teens hauling lightweight items (bay boats, small horse trailers, utility trailers with UTV's, etc.

A V8 hemi has more power, without a doubt, and is faster. I was comparing in my head V6 to V6 towing and didn't say that, my mistake. A hemi also gets way worse mileage under normal circumstances and any half ton gas engine goes to squat when pulling any type of trailer. The "underpowered in a VW Coupe" comment is a bit dramatic - test drive one and you'll find that they have plenty of get up and go unless you just have to have 3 second car, in which case they will be slow.

This website has a solid breakdown of the EcoDiesel versus the 5.7 V8. A whopping 2 second difference in 0-60 - I hardly consider that "risky" on entering. It also talks about the ass whipping the EcoDiesel gives the Hemi in fuel mileage. In a lot of their testing the diesel had 2x the fuel mileage of the 5.7.

The Nissan has a 4 cylinder Cummins. I've yet to see a Cummins that didn't have some stones on it. Were it not for the fact that the Nissan interior (might as well say exterior too) is beyond awful to me, I'd have seriously looked at them a while back when I was in the market. Just couldn't stomach that truck though.
schmellba99
AG
I 100% agree that DEF is pure-dee bull*****

I've had my truck since November of 2016 - I think I've filled my DEF tank up MAYBE 4 times, and that includes a fair amount of hauling relatively heavy trailers (15k+) on about every other month basis. It just hasn't been much of an issue.

The electronics on ALL new vehicles freaking suck - every damned thing in the world is tied to whether your passenger side view mirror defrosting heater works. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Ergos is purely subjective. I think an argument can be made that the Dodge and Ford drive trains are every bit as good as the Chevy - their main selling point is the Allison transmission, but the Ford and Dodge runs are as good as they are these days (kind of have to be I suppose).
George08
AG
I bet its your wheel bearing did go out and the heat it is creating is causing the stabilitrack light to come on. Replace bearing, reset codes and youre good to go
wadd96
AG
Don't lease.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Unless you plan to haul feed and/or farm equipment, you do not need a pickup truck.

Signed,
The OB
RO519
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Unless you plan to haul feed and/or farm equipment, you do not need a pickup truck.

Signed,
The OB
I need a diesel to carry around all my testosterone.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
I'd do extensive research before buying a Titan. Although the new models come with a 100k bumper to bumper it appears they have some significant issues that keep them tied up in the shop a bit more than their competitors. At least that is what I have gathered after doing some reading
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.