Outdoors
Sponsored by

Buying a new truck

10,090 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggielandcu
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
'92-'97 F-350. You can thank me later!
aggiepaintrain
AG
buy one a year old and let someone else lose $10-$15k
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

They focus on monthly payment for several reasons, mostly because it will put more money in the dealers pocket.

This is largely correct, however, if I can get a brand new full sized truck with everything I want on it for $150 a month for 36 months, I couldn't care less what the interest rate is or what extras they add on it. I'd probably give in on color, too.

The point is that you should know or have written down what the payments are at a given price and rate.

Reminds me of a time when I was talking to a dealership about a new vehicle, but I don't recall when or which one. He started talking lease, and I balked. But he kept going and said, "well, I mentioned it because the residual on this lease (what you owe at the end to purchase if you want) is ZERO." Huh? That certainly got my attention. I didn't follow through on the transaction and I don't know if he was mistaken or there was some fine print, but with a reasonable payment that ended up essentially being a purchase, I might have done something I swore I'd never do.

Quote:

When I bought my Tacoma in 2014, 1 and 2 year old trucks were selling for as much or even more than what I paid new. Loaded 4x4.
CactusThomas
AG
People keep saying that new trucks are cheaper than old trucks. Why doesn't the price of the new truck drive down the price of the old truck? I mean, a truck is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Why would someone pay more for a used truck?
burtonsnow
AG
RO519 said:

Never done it before, but considering buying a new truck. What are your tips and tricks?

Do routine maintenance on it so you don't keep going through three trucks a decade.
Salt of the water
AG
A few possible reasons for the high used truck prices:

High purchase prices -> longer loan terms -> will only take a high trade in price or they can't get what they owe on it -> less 3-5 year old trucks for sale

Low supply high demand.

Trucks tend to last longer these days. One with 100k miles may only be half or a third of the way into its usable life.

As fuel efficiency has improved, more people can afford to daily drive a truck.
Central Committee
AG
Occasionally I long for $90 oil again so that all the people who traded in their Prius for a truck or large SUV will go back to driving their little go-carts, and truck prices can trend back down again.
aggielandcu
Good luck with your search let us know if we can help with financing
Greenchiles
AG
Same here. I went from the 03 to an 06 duramax.

I was indirectly responding to, "I happily traded in my '06 Chevy Duramax with 165k miles on it for a new 2017 Silverado 1/2 ton crew cab Z71."

I can't see myself "happily trading" in this truck for a new diesel/gasser with all the gov junk put on them.
schmellba99
AG
AggieChemist said:

powerbelly51 said:

They focus on monthly payment for several reasons, mostly because it will put more money in the dealers pocket.
And sell more trucks idiots cant afford to said idiots.
East Texas is proof positive of this.
Strongwind86
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

This was not true in 2016 when I bought my latest F150. Tried for about 4 months to find a decent 2015 (wanted new body style F150). With the incentives/etc on new F150's I could only save around $5,000 buying used over new. To me, it was worth it to buy new since I tend to keep my trucks for 6-8 years/180-200K miles.

Your statement was true in 2009 when I bought my previous F150. Did some work and was able to find the exact truck (F150) I wanted - 2 years old/35,000 miles - for $11K less than new. Timing was different - it was after the economy went to **** in 2008.

Market changes....
Silvy
AG
Whatever it is you buy, slam, dip, & LS swap bruh
BigPuma
AG
For my 250 it was definitely true. Lariat Ultimates were going for minimum 10-15k more and mine only had liek 12k on it.
ursusguy
AG
When I bought my '16 (new) in Feb. 2017, it was the second cheapest 4wd on the lot, new or used. Granted, it had been on the lot a couple months and had a motor that doesn't sell real fast. I have the 2.7 boost. To say it is fast is an understatement, and gets great mileage for a 4wd truck (way better than the Ridgeline got).

I drive a 2001 bare bones F250 for work every day, so I could give a rat's a-- about engine sound.
CS78
aggielandcu said:

Good luck with your search let us know if we can help with financing
I just ordered a Chevy 2500 yesterday. I mentioned to two local chevy dealerships that I was considering using yall and both of them instantly said, "oh that's who we use so you can just go through us for them and it will be easier". Is that true or should I examine things directly through your company ahead of time? Looks like Ive got 6-8 weeks to get it figured out.

For the rest of the conversation this is how I did it, right or wrong. Started off looking for used vehicles for about a week. Between the crazy high prices and risk of buying a flooded vehicle, it looked like used just didn't make sense. I'm getting a 2018 3/4 ton, 6.0, 4WD work truck, crew cab, rigged exactly the way I want for around $39.5k. A used one with 100k miles runs about $28k. No brainer to go with the new if you can afford it. Once I had decided to go new, I sent emails to 6 different dealerships telling them what I wanted and that I would order from whichever local dealer could give me the best price with the least hassle. Three didn't even respond. Three responded and gave me the exact same price, and said they wouldn't go lower. BUT only one was willing to sell me the vehicle without any of the BS dealer add-ons ($500) like VIN etching, paint coatings, etc. Once I had this price I googled to find who was the leading high volume, low price chevy truck dealer in the country. I went to their website and compared the price to find it was only about $2500 less than what I'm paying. That convinced me that I was getting a decent deal so I went to the local dealer on my lunch break, sat down, ordered the truck, gave them the deposit, and was out in 15 minutes.
aTm2004
AG
Huh? Never heard of a dealership going through a CU or private bank before. Not saying that it's not possible, but I'd imagine there's more money for the dealership by going through GM Financial or the manufacture's equivalent.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
BigPuma
AG
I have when Toyota Financial's quoted rate was almost a point higher.
Corps_Ag12
AG
aTm2004 said:

Huh? Never heard of a dealership going through a CU or private bank before. Not saying that it's not possible, but I'd imagine there's more money for the dealership by going through GM Financial or the manufacture's equivalent.

My truck is financed through Ally (GM Financial) and they matched the rate i brought in with me so going through them was a lot easier & quicker. I'm assuming they aren't making much on the deal.
aggielandcu
Most of the dealers in B/CS send car loans to us via our indirect lending program it is not unusual at all.
CS78
aggielandcu said:

Most of the dealers in B/CS send car loans to us via our indirect lending program it is not unusual at all.

So how does the dealership get paid on these? Would the rate be the same as if I dealt with you directly?
aggielandcu
please email your questions to loans@aggielandcu.org
yes the rates should be the same

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.