Outdoors
Sponsored by

Batteries died in my gun safe keypad

7,550 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hoss
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opened it on Friday and the low battery light was on. Tried to open it today and it was completely dead. Grabbed the skeleton key from my nearby hiding spot and opened it right up. 4 new AA batteries later and it's back up and running. Didn't have to reprogram the code either. I was trying to remember when was the last time I changed the batteries in this thing and I realize that this is the first time. I bought this safe for my birthday (I'm an august kid) in 2008. That's a pretty good run for those Energizer batteries.
Martin Q. Blank
Bad thing about these types of safes. I never open them because I never have to. Batteries slowly die. When I need it, battery dead. I'm dead.
BreNayPop
AG
Just treat it like a smoke detector and change batteries yearly.
jtp01
AG
This is one of the reasons why I chose a dial on my large safe. I have a few "quick access" safes but I maintain those batteries as if they were a fire alarm.
aftershock
Every time I see a post like this I always think "Ya know....should probably locate my key and put it in a place that I will remember."

And then I forget to do it...
Vegas-aggie
AG
I keep my keys in the safe, so I always know right where they are.
AG
Need to replace my batteries too. Have a model that plugs into the wall as back up but I bet the thing wouldn't open if the lights went out right now.
44mAG
AG
This is why I have a manual dial
FSGuide
44mAG said:

This is why I have a manual dial

I retrieved my key and had the door open in quicker time than I could've dialed a combo on a manual dial.

And before someone says "just dial the first 2 numbers of the combo and have it ready to go on the 3rd number, it's fast"........ you must not have kids. I can just see it now. I need in the safe quickly and I know I've got my combo preset to where I only have to move the dial 1 or 2 numbers. But when I get there and try it, one of my 3 little kids has spun the wheel. Now I'm dead, my dog is raped and my family has been dognapped.
cbr
AG
I was SOUNDLY ridiculed here for asking why ANYONE would EVER make, sell, or buy a safe with an electronic keypad or that requires electricity of any kind. I wont have one, period, ever.

I am sorry you are stuck, but I guess fewer people will make fun of me for that around here now...
highvelocity
AG
Main reason I'll never use a gun safe like that
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
coyote68
Keep my guns under the bed. If you can get past my 2 blue Lacy's, Rhodesian Ridgeback, and Belgian Malenois, you can have them. 3 of the dogs sleep on the bed. The Malenois wanders around in the house.
Bert315
AG
cbr said:

I was SOUNDLY ridiculed here for asking why ANYONE would EVER make, sell, or buy a safe with an electronic keypad or that requires electricity of any kind. I wont have one, period, ever.

I am sorry you are stuck, but I guess fewer people will make fun of me for that around here now...

Maybe I missed something but pretty sure he was bragging how easy it was to change and how quick he could get to his guns just using the key. I don't think he is stuck at all...
FSGuide
cbr said:

See folks? Reading and reading comprehension are two completely different things.
Hoss
AG
Same thing happened to me once, but unlike the OP I decided that I never wanted it to happen again. Bought a safe with a mechanical simplex lock and haven't looked back. To each their own, but when it happened to me in a non-emergency situation I decided I didn't want to take the risk of it happening in an emergency situation.
F4GIB71
I change all my batteries every year on my birthday. This is in all my Aimpoint red dots (even though they have at least three year battery life), Crimson Trace lasers, and gun safe.

That said I recall an Air Force maxim that "flashlights are long metal tubes used to store dead batteries".
cbr
AG
FSGuide said:

cbr said:

See folks? Reading and reading comprehension are two completely different things.
i wasnt directing my comments at OP, but rather the numerous other posters who DID have a real problem.

another issue is that i really dont have time to be changing batteries... too many things to maintain as it is. tractors, gators, trucks, race cars, fences, cattle, horses, driveway gates, generators, pumps, lights, fans, plumbing, septics, well pumps, and that doesnt count my office.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Vegas-aggie said:

I keep my keys in the safe, so I always know right where they are.
i keep mine on top of the safe to keep from being locked out, and they are handy in an emergency...
schmellba99
AG
cbr said:

FSGuide said:

cbr said:

i wasnt directing my comments at OP, but rather the numerous other posters who DID have a real problem.

another issue is that i really dont have time to be changing batteries... too many things to maintain as it is. tractors, gators, trucks, race cars, fences, cattle, horses, driveway gates, generators, pumps, lights, fans, plumbing, septics, well pumps, and that doesnt count my office.
Do you know how long it takes to change the batteries on a good electronic lock on a safe?

About 32 seconds, and that is including the aggravation of opening the 9v battery package.

I do similar to FS Guide - every new years day I change the batteries in my smoke detectors and gun safe lock. It's just easy to do and there is no excuse to not change them regularly as it is.
ToHntortoFsh
cbr said:

Yet you have the time to be posting on Texags...
Gigemags05
AG
cbr said:

FSGuide said:

cbr said:

Worst humble brag ever? If you don't have time to change a battery once a year you are definitely doing it wrong.
cbr
AG
schmellba99 said:

cbr said:

FSGuide said:

cbr said:

Do you know how long it takes to change the batteries on a good electronic lock on a safe?

About 32 seconds, and that is including the aggravation of opening the 9v battery package.

I do similar to FS Guide - every new years day I change the batteries in my smoke detectors and gun safe lock. It's just easy to do and there is no excuse to not change them regularly as it is.
wrong. it takes time to put the thought of buying batteries onto my 400 daily task list, then i have to spend 5-6 minutes ordering them online, or more buying them somewhere, and then more time opening them, and deciding where to store them, so that I can remember where the **** they are. Then i have to spend 30 seconds opening them, 10 going to the trash can, then 2 minutes changing them, then rinse and repeat.... all for something that is a fundamental design defect that should never have even been dreamed of.

and then I have to put actually changing them on my list of 500 other things to maintain, and hope I dont die outside my safe one night trying to get in because I didnt do it.

and that of course assumes that the world is perfect and you have power and internet and the supply chain is working.... but then if that is the case, why do you really NEED a safe?

and you do know WHY safe makers use them right? They know it is a fatal design defect. They also know most people are too lazy or unthinking to figure that out, and it is MUCH cheaper than a real lock, so they can improve their margins at your expense.
cbr
AG
ToHntortoFsh said:

cbr said:

Yet you have the time to be posting on Texags...
that is what i do between knocking the more difficult tasks off of my list at the office... or while on the ****ter.
cbr
AG
Gigemags05 said:

cbr said:

FSGuide said:

cbr said:

Worst humble brag ever? If you don't have time to change a battery once a year you are definitely doing it wrong.
lol, i dont know how that is bragging... most people that have safes also have a lot of stuff. its a guy thing.
Thunder18
AG
Where the heck do you sleep with all those dogs on the bed?
EskimoJoe
coyote68 said:

Keep my guns under the bed. If you can get past my 2 blue Lacy's, Rhodesian Ridgeback, and Belgian Malenois, you can have them. 3 of the dogs sleep on the bed. The Malenois wanders around in the house.

Geez, where does the baby makin' get done?
schmellba99
AG
Wow. If life is that hard for you....keep on keeping on then. I'd hate to see your approach to an actual real problem, you might just die from a stroke thinking about every possible permutation of things that could go wrong before the problem ever actually got solved.
Gigemags05
AG
Haha, I guess. Most don't feel the need to list them to try and make an excuse for being to busy to reach out and grab a battery while standing in the checkout line. Or are you too busy to go to the store for yourself too?

Point remains though. "Not having time" to change batteries may be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen posted. It literally takes less than a minute. And no, there is no special trip to the battery store that must be planned and carefully executed. They're sitting by the checkout at almost every grocery store.
Gigemags05
AG
cbr said:

schmellba99 said:

cbr said:

FSGuide said:

cbr said:

wrong. it takes time to put the thought of buying batteries onto my 400 daily task list, then i have to spend 5-6 minutes ordering them online, or more buying them somewhere, and then more time opening them, and deciding where to store them, so that I can remember where the **** they are. Then i have to spend 30 seconds opening them, 10 going to the trash can, then 2 minutes changing them, then rinse and repeat.... all for something that is a fundamental design defect that should never have even been dreamed of.

and then I have to put actually changing them on my list of 500 other things to maintain, and hope I dont die outside my safe one night trying to get in because I didnt do it.

and that of course assumes that the world is perfect and you have power and internet and the supply chain is working.... but then if that is the case, why do you really NEED a safe?

and you do know WHY safe makers use them right? They know it is a fatal design defect. They also know most people are too lazy or unthinking to figure that out, and it is MUCH cheaper than a real lock, so they can improve their margins at your expense.

Okay I was wrong in my previous post. THIS is the most ridiculous thing I've seen posted. You have got to be kidding. My gosh I don't see how you can function.
techno-ag
AG
Safe wars have been going on a long time. Here some fun reading about what they were arguing about in the 1850-60s:

http://www.strangehistory.net/2011/09/02/the-safe-battle-at-burnley-1860/
Sean98
AG
coyote68 said:

This makes me feel better. Whenever I wonder if I'm the male/dog version of a crazy old cat lady it's nice to have someone like 68 to give me perspective. I anthropomorphize my dogs too much, but I don't allow them in my bedroom or on any of the furniture. I mean, c'mon, they're dogs. Thank you sir, for boosting my spirits.
Sean98
AG
schmellba99 said:

[Do you know how long it takes to change the batteries on a good electronic lock on a safe?

...and the time it takes to test the 9V on your tongue, right?

I enjoy that far too much I'm afraid.
cbr
AG
schmellba99 said:

Wow. If life is that hard for you....keep on keeping on then. I'd hate to see your approach to an actual real problem, you might just die from a stroke thinking about every possible permutation of things that could go wrong before the problem ever actually got solved.

I solve a lot more problems daily than most people do, and people pay me a lot of money to do it. I also do a lot more with my personal time than anyone else I know. This isn't solving a complex problem, this is an extremely simple excerise in avoiding any problems with simple common sense.

My safe works always. It works when the world ends. It works underwater (I live on the Brazil so this actually matters. It won't suffer corroded old batteries. It works whenever.

If youre has batteries, yours won't.
cbr
AG
Gigemags05 said:

Haha, I guess. Most don't feel the need to list them to try and make an excuse for being to busy to reach out and grab a battery while standing in the checkout line. Or are you too busy to go to the store for yourself too?

Point remains though. "Not having time" to change batteries may be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen posted. It literally takes less than a minute. And no, there is no special trip to the battery store that must be planned and carefully executed. They're sitting by the checkout at almost every grocery store.

I don't go to the grocery store.
cbr
AG
Let's boil this down. True or false:

A safe with battery or keys is less reliable than one with a combination?

We all know he answer, if you doubt it just google thousands of hits for ****ed up electronic safe mechanisms.

True or false:

Is replacing safe batteries regularly a task that requires time, money, and planning, however minute?

I think we know the answer.

Bottom line, if I were a 40 hour a week employee living in the city or suburbs, I might not think about it much, but I am not. I have to get a whole lot of other stuff done and don't have the bandwidth for replacing batteries when their very existence is an unnecessary design defect in the safe.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.