Outdoors
Sponsored by

Batteries died in my gun safe keypad

7,551 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hoss
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cbr said:

schmellba99 said:

Wow. If life is that hard for you....keep on keeping on then. I'd hate to see your approach to an actual real problem, you might just die from a stroke thinking about every possible permutation of things that could go wrong before the problem ever actually got solved.

I solve a lot more problems daily than most people do, and people pay me a lot of money to do it. I also do a lot more with my personal time than anyone else I know. This isn't solving a complex problem, this is an extremely simple excerise in avoiding any problems with simple common sense.

My safe works always. It works when the world ends. It works underwater (I live on the Brazil so this actually matters. It won't suffer corroded old batteries. It works whenever.

If youre has batteries, yours won't.

Whatever works for you, Mr. International Man of Mystery.
TexasAggie_02
AG
cbr said:

schmellba99 said:

cbr said:

FSGuide said:

cbr said:

I was SOUNDLY ridiculed here for asking why ANYONE would EVER make, sell, or buy a safe with an electronic keypad or that requires electricity of any kind. I wont have one, period, ever.

I am sorry you are stuck, but I guess fewer people will make fun of me for that around here now...
See folks? Reading and reading comprehension are two completely different things.
i wasnt directing my comments at OP, but rather the numerous other posters who DID have a real problem.

another issue is that i really dont have time to be changing batteries... too many things to maintain as it is. tractors, gators, trucks, race cars, fences, cattle, horses, driveway gates, generators, pumps, lights, fans, plumbing, septics, well pumps, and that doesnt count my office.
Do you know how long it takes to change the batteries on a good electronic lock on a safe?

About 32 seconds, and that is including the aggravation of opening the 9v battery package.

I do similar to FS Guide - every new years day I change the batteries in my smoke detectors and gun safe lock. It's just easy to do and there is no excuse to not change them regularly as it is.
wrong. it takes time to put the thought of buying batteries onto my 400 daily task list, then i have to spend 5-6 minutes ordering them online, or more buying them somewhere, and then more time opening them, and deciding where to store them, so that I can remember where the **** they are. Then i have to spend 30 seconds opening them, 10 going to the trash can, then 2 minutes changing them, then rinse and repeat.... all for something that is a fundamental design defect that should never have even been dreamed of.

and then I have to put actually changing them on my list of 500 other things to maintain, and hope I dont die outside my safe one night trying to get in because I didnt do it.

and that of course assumes that the world is perfect and you have power and internet and the supply chain is working.... but then if that is the case, why do you really NEED a safe?

and you do know WHY safe makers use them right? They know it is a fatal design defect. They also know most people are too lazy or unthinking to figure that out, and it is MUCH cheaper than a real lock, so they can improve their margins at your expense.

If you spent less time making excuses, you'd get more work done.
aggieroy86
AG
I have both kinds, one electronic and one manual lock. I just replaced the 9v on the electronic keypad, very simple process. Watched video on YouTube, took about 2 minutes.

The manual tumbler was always a pain, kept forgetting the dang combination! My wife could remember it every time which was embarrassing. So I visited the local locksmith where I bought the safe, he suggested that I convert the three number selection to just one. I had never heard of that and didn't think it was possible, he just laughed and told me all of his had just one number to remember. So, $75.00 and about 45 minutes in my safe closet the tech had converted the tumbler to a single stop combination. Super easy to remember and added bonus from the tech, he said anyone trying to break the tumbler code would go crazy trying to find the second and third stop. I can open the tumbler safe twice as fast as the electronic on with 6 digits to remember!
Gigemags05
AG
cbr said:

Gigemags05 said:

Haha, I guess. Most don't feel the need to list them to try and make an excuse for being to busy to reach out and grab a battery while standing in the checkout line. Or are you too busy to go to the store for yourself too?

Point remains though. "Not having time" to change batteries may be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen posted. It literally takes less than a minute. And no, there is no special trip to the battery store that must be planned and carefully executed. They're sitting by the checkout at almost every grocery store.

I don't go to the grocery store.

Hahaha, of course you don't.
cbr
AG
Ok, my posts may not have come across very well so I'm sorry for that. No need for this board to get assinine though from either side.

I don't live a common lifestyle. I can't go to the store and get batteries in 5 minutes. I can't call a safe company to come out here very easily.

My property flooded 3 times this year, it didn't get to the safe, but it was close.

I have too many things to maintain, much less a safe.

I took the time to point out some issues with electronic safes. I thought it would be helpful to someone looking for a safe. I personally think it is insane to have an electronic keyboard on any safe, ever. I am sorry it didn't come across well or if you don't agree.

Out.

TexasAggie_02
AG
Why post a heartfelt message at 8:58, and then send me an angry PM at 9:04?

This is the outdoors board, it's like sitting in deer camp, everybody gets ribbed on now and again. I'm sorry you got offended by a harmless remark.
Sean98
AG
Wait, whaaat?
montanagriz
S
Cbr
You made some good points with last post. It was the few before that lost you some cred. You showed your emotions on something that obviously irritated you from the past. I am sorry you took flak or whatever before. On this board, i know easier said than done but dont hold grudges or let them ruin a good viewpoint with too much emotion or self patting.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
I think it's safe to say that this thread has it all.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cbr
AG
Rough week, I guess It spilled over. see y'all later.
TXAGFAN
AG
I have a manual dial because I think it looks classier and will look better than keypad in another 10 or 20 years. That being said, I don't give two ****s what you all have.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
"No time for anything outside of work. At all. Y'all wouldn't understand. I'm busier than a two peckered Billy goat. " - cbr

*posts verbose responses half a dozen times on an online forum in one day* - also cbr

Makes perfect sense.
JP76
I've got a manual dial as well. On a side note my mother has safe with a battery keypad that my dad bought before 1999. We have only had to replace the batteries twice in over 18 years. Granted it doesn't get opened but maybe 1 or 2 times a year but I still find it strange that they last that long.
CSTXAg92
AG
Best of both worlds... convenience of keypad, failsafe of a dial:

Canon Dual Lock
EskimoJoe
Dale Earnhardts Stache said:

"No time for anything outside of work. At all. Y'all wouldn't understand. I'm busier than a two peckered Billy goat. " - cbr

*posts verbose responses half a dozen times on an online forum in one day* - also cbr

Makes perfect sense.

If a person is so busy that he can't find a minute to swap out the batteries in his safe lock, then he definitely has no time to use anything he stores in said safe.

I doubt this guy is any busier than I am or many of you other guys around here. In fact week before last was the first time I shot any of my rifles since November 2015. If my safe needs batteries I could have them swamped out fairly quickly. Every parts store and hardware store I was in this weekend sold batteries.
techno-ag
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

I think it's safe to say that this thread has it all.
In before thread is locked.
CactusThomas
AG
I own a couple of the dial safes but my main safe has the electric keypad - that's the one I'm in and out of regularly. I just like it much better.

This thread is a good reminder for me to change the 9v. I've had the safe since 2011 and it's still on the first battery.
Redleg92
AG
Below is a business safe that has been opened/closed twice daily (at a minimum) for almost 24 years now.

https://imgur.com/gallery/48oo4

Needless to say, I'm fairly confident in relying on electronics versus a mechanical tumbler.

More importantly, I can open my electronic gun safe in the dark, in less than 2 seconds. Can you say the same for a spin dial combination safe?

To each his own.
ToHntortoFsh
pretty good point about opening in the dark...that had not occurred to me.
Gigemags05
AG
That's part of what makes this thread so funny. He's so adamant that an electronic lock is an awful idea. In reality there are very valid pros and cons to both.

Having to take the time to buy a battery isn't a valid con to an electric safe. It takes no time whatsoever.

Worrying about failure at the wrong time is valid, but with an incredibly minute amount of maintenance that con can be mitigated.

Hoss
AG
My preference...

Very heavy duty. Holds two full size guns (I have a Glock 17 with 2 spare mags and a flashlight in mine). Quick and easy to open (even from a dead sleep in the dark). No batteries or electricity required.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.