Outdoors
Sponsored by

Organic beef vs. non? Cows are outdoors...

21,299 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bitter Old Man
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Canyon99 said:

My FiL is changing his operation to be considered organic. He sees monetary benefit for something that isn't that different from how he currently operates.
Most old-time dryland wheat operations (up through the 70s and 80s) in the Texas Panhandle were basically "organic". They just plowed and planted, and used an occasional fallow period to help control weeds.

Of course, if you go back 80 years, that contributed to the dust bowl....
Ogre09
AG
I buy organic produce when it is better quality (more fresh, more ripe, or better size) than the non- organic option. Different sources yield different results.
UnderoosAg
AG
It's all in the name. Just like aqua de culo

Pro Sandy
AG
queso1 said:

I don't understand the problem. If I'm willing to dish out more money, why do people care? I'm not telling you everything has to be organic.
I'm against organic crops because they reduce our yield. With 7,000,000,000 people, we need to use GMOs and nonorganic methods to feed the world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensavage/2015/10/09/the-organic-farming-yield-gap
96ags
AG
Quote:

If you are concerned enough to want to buy organic, I encourage you to instead, buy local. Find someone that raises a couple of calves a year and buy from them. You will really know what you are getting and you'll be helping out the little guy.
This.
GSS
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Quote:

queso1 said:

I don't understand the problem. If I'm willing to dish out more money, why do people care? I'm not telling you everything has to be organic.

I'm against organic crops because they reduce our yield. With 7,000,000,000 people, we need to use GMOs and nonorganic methods to feed the world.

So, instead of letting the free market work, you are more interested in doing what is good for "all" the people. I guess you have no problem going to a single payer health insurance model where "everybody" gets coverage?

Why is it that the free market is great, up until it conflicts with something someone doesn't agree with, then they want to override the system?

If people want to buy expensive organic produce, exotic sports cars that get 5 MPG, or $200k Swiss watches; let em and stop worrying about it.
Cancelled
AG
Pro Sandy said:

queso1 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensavage/2015/10/09/the-organic-farming-yield-gap

I'm sure we could feed the entire world if we only ate tilapia too.

Scary thinking, comrade.
GinaLinetti
AG
That's good to know. I don't use much milk so I do buy the organic in a carton since it lasts longer. I didn't realize it was the pasteurization process they used. Still going to buy it so I don't waste as much but it's cool to know
BoerneGator
AG
To follow up on Canyon's excellent posts regarding the rage for "Organic":

Grew up on a working south Texas ranch in the '50s. We had a "drought of record" during that decade that led to herd reductions. In an effort to diversify and generate cash flow, my dad "got into" the chicken/egg business. He built a large chicken house that held 1,200 caged hens. Every hen had her own 12"x20"x16" caged space, suspended in air. They spent their entire productive life in that space, where they layed an egg a day for most of a year in exchange for all of the food and water they wanted 24/7. Never once noticed an unhappy hen who even hinted she'd prefer to be outside in the "yard" where she'd hafta forage for food while dodging coyotes, coons, skunks and bobcats. Meanwhile, the quality of the eggs they produced were unsurpassed.

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

'm against organic crops because they reduce our yield. With 7,000,000,000 people, we need to use GMOs and nonorganic methods to feed the world
You know, it's funny. The same people who are strident promoters of "organic", are likely to be on the same side of the political spectrum as the people who complain that Americans waste too many resources. They would be all in favor of forcing us to use less fossil fuel, etc.

But as ProSandy points out, "organic" does exactly the oppposite of that. Shall we quote a late professor emeritus from Texas A&M?

Quote:

Reason Magazine: What do you think of organic farming? A lot of people claim it's better for human health and the environment.

Norman Borlaug:
That's ridiculous. This shouldn't even be a debate. Even if you could use all the organic material that you have--the animal manures, the human waste, the plant residues--and get them back on the soil, you couldn't feed more than 4 billion people. In addition, if all agriculture were organic, you would have to increase cropland area dramatically, spreading out into marginal areas and cutting down millions of acres of forests.

At the present time, approximately 80 million tons of nitrogen nutrients are utilized each year. If you tried to produce this nitrogen organically, you would require an additional 5 or 6 billion head of cattle to supply the manure. How much wild land would you have to sacrifice just to produce the forage for these cows? There's a lot of nonsense going on here.

If people want to believe that the organic food has better nutritive value, it's up to them to make that foolish decision. But there's absolutely no research that shows that organic foods provide better nutrition. As far as plants are concerned, they can't tell whether that nitrate ion comes from artificial chemicals or from decomposed organic matter. If some consumers believe that it's better from the point of view of their health to have organic food, God bless them. Let them buy it. Let them pay a bit more. It's a free society. But don't tell the world that we can feed the present population without chemical fertilizer. That's when this misinformation becomes destructive..

Below is a link to the entire interview. Borlaug has likely saved more lives than any other human in history. A brilliant man, it was a real coup for A&M to get him to finish his career here. It's worth 10-15 minutes to read the whole interview, which touchs on organic, GMO, anti-science zealots, population, etc. etc.

http://reason.com/archives/2000/04/01/billions-served-norman-borlaug/
Quote:

(April 2000)

Three decades after he launched the Green Revolution, agronomist Norman Borlaug is still fighting world hunger--and the doomsayers who say it's a lost cause.

Who has saved more human lives than anyone else in history? Who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970? Who still teaches at Texas A&M at the age of 86? The answer is Norman Borlaug.
Who? Norman Borlaug, the father of the "Green Revolution," the dramatic improvement in agricultural productivity that swept the globe in the 1960s.

Borlaug grew up on a small farm in Iowa and graduated from the University of Minnesota, where he studied forestry and plant pathology, in the 1930s. In 1944, the Rockefeller Foundation invited him to work on a project to boost wheat production in Mexico. At the time Mexico was importing a good share of its grain. Borlaug and his staff in Mexico spent nearly 20 years breeding the high-yield dwarf wheat that sparked the Green Revolution, the transformation that forestalled the mass starvation predicted by neo-Malthusians.

Towns03
AG
Canyon99 said:

My FiL is changing his operation to be considered organic. He sees monetary benefit for something that isn't that different from how he currently operates.
rancher or farmer?

if rancher, can you get some specifics on the differences between organic and non?
CalAG
AG
queso1 said:

Grass fed doesn't taste as good as corn.

I'm not sure I've ever talked about the benefits of organic...except for the fact that organic milk lasts a long time. I think I've boasted that, but will two kids in the house, that's not really even an issue.

You're going to have morons everywhere.

It lasts a long time because it is ultra-pasteurized, not because it is organic. If ultra pasteurized milk tasted good to the average consumer, all milk would be treated that way. However, since it changes the flavor (for the worse in most blind studies) regular milk is not ultra pasteurized.
B-1 83
AG
Some misconceptions on this thread

Animals raised organically CAN receive antibiotics when sick. They can also be vaccinated, though those destined for slaughter have certain restrictions

Feedlots were (and may still be) feeding SMALL amounts of antibiotics prophylacticly as a precaution and because it caused a slight weight gain advantage.

Sick animals still fall under the label restrictions - organically or inorganicly - for withdrawal before slaughter.

Fed out organic beef MUST be fed organic grain and other feed stuffs - $$$$$$$$. This also applies to grass fed organic - no inorganic fertilizer (hooray for chicken litter!) or herbicides.
CanyonAg77
AG
To be a rancher, it apparently involves a lengthy and time consuming process, whereby you change the sign on your gate.
B-1 83
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

To be a rancher, it apparently involves a lengthy and time consuming process, whereby you change the sign on your gate.
Well, your Ivomec better be well hidden. Internal pests and fly control can be tough.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

It lasts a long time because it is ultra-pasteurized, not because it is organic.
If only someone would have mentioned that before.

I do appreciate this clarification.
Quote:

However, since it changes the flavor (for the worse in most blind studies) regular milk is not ultra pasteurized.
I've wondered why they don't UP normal milk. On a side note,my daughter did a study abroad program in Costa Rica. They UP their milk, and they don't refrigerate it. Just leave it out on the table all day.
GSS
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

It lasts a long time because it is ultra-pasteurized, not because it is organic.

Quote:

However, since it changes the flavor (for the worse in most blind studies) regular milk is not ultra pasteurized.
I've wondered why they don't UP normal milk. On a side note,my daughter did a study abroad program in Costa Rica. They UP their milk, and they don't refrigerate it. Just leave it out on the table all day.

Like the packages of half&half coffee creamer...well, they are sealed. But no refrig.
96ags
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

I personally can't stand the taste of UP milk. It has a burnt flavor to me.
shaynew1
AG
I believe chocolate milk is UPed because they can cover up the taste with sugars and chocolate. I want to also say that somewhere I heard it is regular milk brought back in and UPed, but that might be something I'm imagining.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Such an interesting thread.... and one that seems to pop up every few months or so... and as usual its met with typical Aggie derision by a few loud naysayers that "don't really care"...

My biggest take-away is that some of you need to get off Facebook, because you are letting other people own WAY too much real estate inside your head. Its one thing to be annoyed by people on FB spouting quasi-facts and name-calling, however doing the exact same thing in the other direction is just two sides of the same coin.

I work in the Ag industry. I also eat organic as much as possible.

The problem with this, as well as any other modern day "scientific-political" discussion, is which group of paid scientists and lobbyists do you believe? Everybody has to eat, and so everybody needs a job. Scientists need jobs too, and science doesn't pay bills without some external source of money. That money always has an agenda, and the agendas with the deepest pockets get the most "science" done.

Someone mentioned the 1,000's of research papers that are out there supporting their position. Those positions happen to line up with the agendas of some very deep-pocketed foundations/corporations, so it would stand to reason that there would be more science being supported by those companies.
- Am I saying the science is wrong? No.
- Am I saying the science is flawed? No.
- Am I saying the science could be politically biased? Its certainly possible.
(If you argue with me on this point, please make sure that I can't go search Texags and find you railing against Global Warming, with all of the "science" that issue has backing it up.)

So what about our premiere research institutions, like a certain school we all love in College Station? Well, the donor list of the College of Ag reads like a who's who in conventional Ag, so I'm guessing the Dean doesn't want to go running all of that money off by spending a bunch of time finding ways they are doing harm...

Someone else mentioned all of the money that is being made through "Organic" labeling. If that is the case, I wonder why all of the conventional Ag producers aren't switching over as fast as possible? Furthermore, those Organic farmers should be rolling in the money, right? Nope, neither is true, but why? Because Organic farming is difficult, more expensive, and less productive. In other words, you don't make much money off of it. But surely the Ag Technology companies like making more money, so they are all into it? Nope, they hate Organics, because most of what they make can't be sold to Organic farmers.

Take Away: USDA Organic is not just a Marketing Label, it requires work to get it. ("Natural" is absolutely a marketing farce).

So, I work in Ag, and most of our money comes from Conventional Ag. So, why would I eat organic?

Personally, I am more about "clean" food. Its my anecdotal belief that many of the health problems we have today are a result of our over processed diets and constant exposure to synthetic chemicals. (BTW, whoever said the world is all Chemicals should never talk again. If you cant tell the difference between ingesting H2O and H2O2, I can't help you.)

Yes, it is true that the conventional food we eat only contains traces of the synthetics that I am talking about, but the problem is that I tend to eat everyday, usually 3-4 times a day. Moreso, my damned liver doesn't always do the best job of cleaning out those traces because God didn't design it to do that, and I haven't ever done it any favors (thank you Bud Light and the Dixie Chicken), so those traces just hang around in there, building up over time.... Doing what? I don't know, but a lot of them are designed to kill things.

The "science" tells us its nothing to worry about, but I don't trust it because not enough time has passed to see real correlative results. This will take a generation to really figure out.

Am I anti-GMO? (BTW, selective breeding is not GMO, get out of here with that) No, I think they serve a purpose, which is feeding the world. People shouldn't starve because I'm not so sure about GMO's. However, I can afford to have a choice, and I would like to be given that choice.

Alright, enough sop-boxing for today. BOM out.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Its my anecdotal belief

well I'm convinced

Cancelled
AG
96ags said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

They've been ultrapasturizing milk in Germany for years. It does give it a weird sweet taste. But I've never noticed that taste in the UP organic milk. And despite the fact that organic is UP, the fact remains that the stuff on the market still lasts longer than regular milk.
Lungblood
As a young grad student teaching ANSC 108 lab, I had the honor of introducing Dr. Borlaug to my class as a guest speaker... only I screwed the pooch and introduced him as "Professor Emeritus", which he was not.

He was a bit of a character and really connected well with the students, despite the extreme age and knowledge gap.

96ags
AG
queso1 said:

96ags said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

They've been ultrapasturizing milk in Germany for years. It does give it a weird sweet taste. But I've never noticed that taste in the UP organic milk. And despite the fact that organic is UP, the fact remains that the stuff on the market still lasts longer than regular milk.
To me, all UP milk has the same taste regardless of the label.

The shelf life is directly due to the UP process. It certainly fits the niche market of people who don't mind the taste and shelf life is important.

To each their own, but it clearly is not marketable to the masses yet and I would say that is mainly because of taste.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I don't know if there are nutritional differences or not but a factory farmed egg. Even one labeled organic or free-range has very little resemblance to a true yardbird egg where the hen roams freely and gets most of her food from sources other than feed.

The bright orange, extremely tasty yolks are so superior to the pale yellow factory eggs it's not even a contest. I sincerely wish I could keep a few laying hens in my yard but the HOA forbids that.
CanyonAg77
AG

Quote:

The problem with this, as well as any other modern day "scientific-political" discussion, is which group of paid scientists and lobbyists do you believe?

The first part of your post sounds a lot like you're a beliver in conspiracy theories.

Quote:

Organic farming is difficult, more expensive, and less productive. In other words, you don't make much money off of it.

Unless you can charge much higher prices for your product. Oh, wait.....

Quote:

But surely the Ag Technology companies like making more money, so they are all into it? Nope, they hate Organics, because most of what they make can't be sold to Organic farmers.

You can use BT and other synthetic products in "organic". Also tractors, plows, combines, GPS systems, remote sensing, GMO in some cases....

Quote:

Personally, I am more about "clean" food. Its my anecdotal belief that many of the health problems we have today are a result of our over processed diets and constant exposure to synthetic chemicals
Yet, life spans are increasing, diseases are being eliminated, people are remaining active longer. But, I guess facts need to take a back seat to your anecdotal beliefs.

It's my anecdotal belief that the availability of a huge amount of cheap, fresh, produce of all kinds, year-around, is a huge benefit to the health of Americans. if people choose McDonalds instead, that has nothing to do with parts per trillion traces of chemicals.

Quote:

(BTW, whoever said the world is all Chemicals should never talk again. If you cant tell the difference between ingesting H2O and H2O2, I can't help you.)

If you can't get a simple point, I can't help you.

Quote:

my damned liver doesn't always do the best job of cleaning out those traces because God didn't design it to do that, and I haven't ever done it any favors (thank you Bud Light and the Dixie Chicken), so those traces just hang around in there, building up over time....

Goes back to a point I made a while back, that people voluntarily ingest much more harmful substances all the time...excess alcohol, tobacco, drugs legal and illegal. I'll also think your claim that the traces "hang around" is scientifically inaccurate.

The fact that you've lived long enough to become a "bitter old man" calls your assertions into question.
96ags
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

I don't know if there are nutritional differences or not but a factory farmed egg. Even one labeled organic or free-range has very little resemblance to a true yardbird egg where the hen roams freely and gets most of her food from sources other than feed.

The bright orange, extremely tasty yolks are so superior to the pale yellow factory eggs it's not even a contest. I sincerely wish I could keep a few laying hens in my yard but the HOA forbids that.
Yes, diet has a tremendous impact on flavor. That is true in just about everything.
CanyonAg77
AG
Lungblood said:

As a young grad student teaching ANSC 108 lab, I had the honor of introducing Dr. Borlaug to my class as a guest speaker... only I screwed the pooch and introduced him as "Professor Emeritus", which he was not.
Oops. What was his title?
CactusThomas
AG
Solid troll. I actually thought you were serious until here :

Bitter Old Man said:

Personally, I am more about "clean" food.

CanyonAg77
AG
96ags said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Yes, diet has a tremendous impact on flavor. On just about everything.
Especially true for milk, eggs, honey, and to a lesser extent, meat. I had a neighbor once who raised 60 acres of marigolds. A feed company was using them for laying hens, to give the yolks a brighter yellow/orange color.
shaynew1
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Lungblood said:

Oops. What was his title?
World renowned, nobel prize winning, famine demolishin, fightin texas aggie: dr borlaug?
Lungblood
He was a full professor, although I don't believe he was ever a tenured professor at A&M... visiting prof, distinguished and many other titles.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

96ags said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Yes, diet has a tremendous impact on flavor. On just about everything.
Especially true for milk, eggs, honey, and to a lesser extent, meat. I had a neighbor once who raised 60 acres of marigolds. A feed company was using them for laying hens, to give the yolks a brighter yellow/orange color.

Definitely true about diet. I like to get different varieties of honey from various locations and compare the taste. There are differences in color and taste depending on the types of flowers and plants from which they've collected the pollen.

And raw, unfiltered honey bears little resemblance to the mass produced crap.
DuckDown2013
AG
Canyon99 said:

EXACTLY. We are in this boat too. Do the same amount of work for more money--Can't afford not to. We sell locally and most of our buyers are buying from us BECAUSE they want locally raised beef. They can contact me and come out to our property to see how the beef they are buying is raised. And that comes with a piece of mind and has a direct impact on the local economy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.