Outdoors
Sponsored by

Random Dude In My Driveway Advice

23,004 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CE Lounge Lizzard
yaterag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was coming home from the store with my three kiddos and as I pulled into my driveway a car pulled in behind me. I have a driveway gate but I wasn't able to get it closed before the car entered because they turned in so quickly behind me. Random cars turning into our driveway aren't uncommon since we are one of the first driveways once you leave city limits and people realize they have gone too far, so I didn't think anything was up yet.

I proceeded to get out of my truck and the person in the vehicle parked behind me (50 feet or so) got out as well. I began to get a little suspicious but thought he could be asking for directions or something. As he approaches the conversation goes like this:
Creep: Is this Jack's house?
Me: Yes
Creep: I'm looking for Jack's house
Me: This is Jack's House, I am Jack.
Creep: Oh.... I guess I have the wrong Jack.

He then proceeds to casually walk back to his vehicle like he is going to make a phone call. He then gets in and backs down the driveway and drives away.

The entire time this is happening I am cussing myself for not carrying my pistol today and wondering how I am going to protect my three children in my backseat if this situation goes sideways.

My question is am I overreacting to the situation, or should I be concerned about a repeat appearance. Should I call the Sheriff's department and provide what little information I can? I quickly got my phone and took a picture of his vehicle driving away but I was unable to get a picture of the license plates. And since we don't have front plates in my state I never saw his plate either.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Very wierd.
Cops won't do anything, no law broken.
Yes, carry a pistol.
schmellba99
AG
Sounds a little weird, to be honest. But unless I started seeing the same guy or an increase in frequency of somebody following me to the driveway - probably wouldn't do much. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to call the non emergency number and talk to somebody to at least have a record of the incident, but that would be it.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Just let it be a lesson learned. Always carry your pistol.
powerbelly
AG
Obviously this is Monday morning quarterbacking, but I would have told him he was at the wrong house and you don't know a Jack.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Sounds fishy to me. It's hard to say without being there, but my gut reaction is that he got the information he needed, and he didn't have the wrong Jack (what are the odds of that?). Cops probably won't/can't do anything, but it might not be a bad idea to get it on record.
Papa_Blaze
AG
I'm with Gramercy on this one. The wrong Jack at the right address seems fishy to me
helloag99
I predict that he is banging your wife. he wanted to see what the competition is like. I could be wrong though.
Brush Country
Dude if it really went down just like that, that is creepy as hell. Keep us posted.
CS78
Considering the gate, if he was able to pull in behind you then he was likely following you and knew who you were beforehand. Did you notice how long he had been behind you?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
In
yaterag
AG
He'd only been behind me the last mile or so. He turned off a side street about a mile before. That's one of the reasons I thought he might have been needing directions.

I feel like I caught him scoping out my place and he came up with a terrible b.s. story to get away. Passing the guy on the street I wouldn't take him for a creepy person though, he looked like a regular ol mid 30's to early 40's guy. I guess that could be by design as well as his Toyota Highlander, typically not your stereotypical crook vehicle.

I'll give the sheriff's department a ring and see what they think. I do at least have pics of the guy's face and his vehicle if they're interested.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
As others have stated, it sounds like the dude was up to no good. Glad he left without incident. Oh and IN.
TwoMarksHand
AG
yaterag said:

I do at least have pics of the guy's face and his vehicle if they're interested.
We'd be interested.
Martin Q. Blank
Not necessarily an alarm. Maybe he knew who Jack is and looked him up in the phone book. You got out, said you're Jack, and he obviously got the wrong address. On to the next Jack in the phone book.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Maybe a repo man of some kind or a process server who is trying to effect service on somebody with the same name but the got the wrong Jack <insert last name here>
lb sand
ursusguy
AG
Just one of FSGuide's trainees that royally messed up. No worries, someone has a terrible PI checking into you.

Uhhhh, pretty damned creepy.
Texmid
AG
That guy knew exactly who you were.
Presley OBannons Sword
I am Jack's total curiosity.
FIDO 96
AG
You are about to get served papers.
EMY92
AG
If they were going to serve him papers, wouldn't they have just served him instead of making two trips?

Also, they likely would have asked for Jack xxxx, not just Jack.
Post removed:
by user
Burnsey
AG
No doubt this guy was looking for you, and he finds you. Even confirms it's you, and then for whatever reason bails.

So is he a process server, or worse?

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Never hurts to call your sheriff's non emergency line and chat to them about it
gig em 02
EMY92 said:

If they were going to serve him papers, wouldn't they have just served him instead of making two trips?

Also, they likely would have asked for Jack xxxx, not just Jack.

Can a process server go through a fence uninvited?
NoahAg
/Yougongetrapedgif
BradMtn346
It sounds like he was casing the place.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

Never hurts to call your sheriff's non emergency line and chat to them about it

Agree with this. Worse case, it just gets something on radar. And if the cops in your town are helpful, it may mean your house at least gets a specific look by patrol cars in the area for the next little bit.
Greeze06
AG
He needed a face to the name.
GE
AG
Greeze06 said:

He needed a face to the name.
Yep. Almost certainly a hitman familiarizing himself with the target.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If he was casing the joint he would not have come up and said hello. He would have driven by real slow, or went across the street for some bs reason.
yaterag
AG
Ha. If that guy was a hitman he's a noob and won't make it past the front door.

Hopefully I don't have to aerate some would be burgler/hitman tonight.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd be weirded out and over analyzing everything if I was the op. If it were me, I'd have not gotten out of the car and kept my pistol close at hand. No one pulls in behind me and everyone is a mass murderer until I know better. Op has all right to be nervous and worried. It's probably nothing and you either found a process server or they opted to not **** with you because you don't look like an easy target.

In the Brazosdog Kingdom , it is proclaimed that everyone is guilty until proven innocent.

And no, you don't always need your pistol. Youre a dad. Bet you'd surprise yourself at what you can accomplish when **** hits the fan and your kids safety is in danger. I'd err on carrying it, of course but still.
I Like Mike
AG
A process server would have served right then. They don't want to track you down again. I think it was a case for a robbery. I'd have alarm bells going off.

Stay vigilant and armed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.