Outdoors
Sponsored by

Unmanned aircraft laws in Texas (laws cited within)

6,814 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CanyonAg77
JAW3336
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
didn't say I cared, just curious.

Also what constitutes reasonable expectation of privacy?

Backyard with chain link fence? 6ft privacy fence? 8ft? 1 acre lot? 50 acres?
EskimoJoe
JAW3336 said:

Do private property rights extend to airspace?

Yes. I collect royalties for commercial airliners that fly through my airspace. The real payday comes when the space shuttle flys over!
I Like Mike
AG
Shotgunning a drone is a federal offense. No different than if you took a shot at a passing airplane or helo.
Tube
AgLA06 said:

JAW3336 said:

How is someone flying a drone over your backyard any different than just looking at your backyard across a fence line?

It's not. That's the point.

"Under Florida law this falls under invasion of privacy or the peeping Tom law. The statute reads the following;

A person commits the crime of voyeurism if, for the purpose

of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of any person
, he

or he/she knowingly views, photographs, or films another person,

without that person's knowledge and consent, while the person

being viewed, photographed, or filmed is in a place where

he or she would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

You can file charges against him, these are very serious charges, if he is convicted he might be ordered to register as a sex offender."

Any more laws you want to violate?
Doesn't this section need to be satisfied to be guilty of the crime?
AgLA06
AG
Or
mellison
AG
Yes, that is the way the statutory law is written but I'm not sure the case law supports it.
powerbelly
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

Shotgunning a drone is a federal offense. No different than if you took a shot at a passing airplane or helo.
Which is ****ing dumb. It should be a crime, but no where near the same as shooting a manned aircraft.
JAW3336
AG
AgLA06 said:

Or
What?
AgLA06
AG
JAW3336 said:

AgLA06 said:

Or
What?

The law says this "or" that. So the answer to his question was no.
I Like Mike
AG
Its not classified any differently by the FAA.
JAW3336
AG
Still has to satisfy one or the other.
AgLA06
AG
JAW3336 said:

Still has to satisfy one or the other.

Have you read anything on this thread?
JAW3336
AG
Did you read the section he bolded and asked about? Maybe I missed something but he asked if under the Florida invasion of privacy law you would have to satisfy this section to be guilty of a crime.

if, for the purpose

to me the answer is yes

AgLA06
AG
JAW3336 said:

Did you read the section he bolded and asked about? Maybe I missed something but he asked if under the Florida invasion of privacy law you would have to satisfy this section to be guilty of a crime.

if, for the purpose

to me the answer is yes

That's only one of the things that can get you. That's why there's an "or" and other things listed. If you do ANY of them, you've broken the law.

If it said "and" then you would have to do all listed to break the law. This is pretty basic stuff.
JAW3336
AG
there are a million ways to commit a crime but he was specifically asking about the section you posted.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
AgLA06
AG
JAW3336 said:

there are a million ways to commit a crime but he was specifically asking about the section you posted.

I'm not responding any more if you can't read. There's more to that section than the little bit he bolded (which was his specific question).
JAW3336
AG
AgLA06 said:

JAW3336 said:

How is someone flying a drone over your backyard any different than just looking at your backyard across a fence line?

It's not. That's the point.

"Under Florida law this falls under invasion of privacy or the peeping Tom law. The statute reads the following;

A person commits the crime of voyeurism if, for the purpose

of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of any person, he

or he/she knowingly views, photographs, or films another person,

without that person's knowledge and consent, while the person

being viewed, photographed, or filmed is in a place where

he or she would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

You can file charges against him, these are very serious charges, if he is convicted he might be ordered to register as a sex offender."

Any more laws you want to violate?
This is one continuous statement with the OR only being used to distinguish between:

Arousing OR gratifying
views, photographs, or films
he or he/she

Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
powerbelly
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

Its not classified any differently by the FAA.

That is dumb
I Like Mike
AG
For commercial purposes it isn't. It needs to be regulated into airspaces requirements just like any other piloted aircraft. The first time a jet on takeoff sucks a drone into a jet engine would be catastrophic. That's why they classify it like a plane. If they don't, they cannot regulate airspace useage.
powerbelly
AG
So it takes the same license to pilot a drone or a helicopter?
Latigo
Is there any way to set up signal jammers around your property? And do you have to allow these people to get there toys off your property if it crashes?
I Like Mike
AG
For commercial reasons, you do have to be licensed by the FAA (part 107). Is it the same rigor as flying a helo? No. But you DO have to pass certain requirements from FedGov to monetize drone useage.
powerbelly
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

For commercial reasons, you do have to be licensed by the FAA (part 107). Is it the same rigor as flying a helo? No. But you DO have to pass certain requirements from FedGov to monetize drone useage.
But nothing for non commercial uses, correct?
I Like Mike
AG
powerbelly51 said:

CalebMcCreary06 said:

But nothing for non commercial uses, correct?
You are correct. Part 107 only applies to commercial UAV pilots. However, hobbyists are still held to part 107s rules and regs on airspace, weather, no fly areas, etc. and applicable state laws.
I Like Mike
AG
So if I am a hobbyist and fly near an airport, I can expect a hefty fine from the FAA.
mellison
AG
Some folks have been fined. I wouldn't push it.
Ag_of_08
AG
You must call if within 5 miles
BradMtn346
Kill it with fire. Drones can be fun. Possibilities for scouting for hunts are limitless. Not sure how I feel about that. If your drone is ove my airspace and pauses for any reason, it will never see what kills it.

That said, I have a big airspace, and there is no legitimate reason anyone would fly across it.
DayAg!
S
Quote:

I know it's against the law. But it is a little different than shooting at manned aircraft. But see, you want me put in jail for protecting my wife and kids, but it's ok for the perv's to just do what they want. " We got rights" i can hear all the little whiners that have drones crying.

And there is one thing about a neighbor looking into your yard and there is another when he does it in a way you know just aint right. Perv's it seems always give themselves away cause they cant help it.You see it on the news every day. Same way with the little drone pilots. They just cant help but hover over the kids at a pool party.

Personally I think anyone that molests a child should be hung on the courthouse lawn under the biggest oak they can find. But thats just my opinion and doesnt necessarily reflect the feeling of this forum.But you go ahead and defend the hell out of em.
I Like Mike
AG
I am biased cuz I am a drone pilot. Guess what? Sureveilling IS illegal in Texas. So, call the cops?

Look I hate idiot drone owners as much as you because they make ME look bad (hence your attitude about all whiny drone owners).

Fact is, if you shoot one down, you can face some legal issues.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Fact is, if you shoot one down, you can face some legal issues.
"Officer, this guy shot down my drone."
"This guy says your drone was hovering over his pool during a party full of 13-year-old-girls in bikinis."
"My mistake, wasn't my drone."
I Like Mike
AG
The law says nothing about spraying one with a water hose. Water + drone = dead drone.
CanyonAg77
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

The law says nothing about spraying one with a water hose. Water + drone = dead drone.
"I was just watering my lawn....."

Seriously, if it's close enough to hit with a water hose, it deserves to get shot down.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.