Outdoors
Sponsored by

Barbacoa recipes for a slow-cooker?

3,959 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by texagpilot
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My TexAgs seach-fu has failed me and I cannot find the recipes some of y'all have posted for doing a reasonable facsimile of barbacoa in the slow-cooker.

Any of y'all have that recipe handy? I'm fairly certain it's been posted in this forum before.

TIA.
aftershock
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2821774/0

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2585959

One of those?

Or this is basically the recipe i use, except I don't measure and probably put in way more of everything than it calls or... but it tastes good.
http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/slow-cooker-copycat-chipotle-barbacoa-recipe/
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Aftershock_88 said:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2821774/0

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2585959

One of those?

Or this is basically the recipe i use, except I don't measure and probably put in way more of everything than it calls or... but it tastes good.
http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/slow-cooker-copycat-chipotle-barbacoa-recipe/

I'm not 100% certain those are what I remember seeing but they look close enough to give it ago. Especially since my HEB has got plenty of cachete and lengua in the meat section.
JSKolache
AG
Mmmm, I have a shoulder in there right now. Taco night!
Tursiops93
AG
That would one BIG - A$$ slow cooker to fit a whole cow's head in!! Please take pics!
Tx-Ag2010
AG
My only piece of advice is don't use actual cheek meat... It is more expensive and in my opinion not nearly as good as barbacoa made with chuck steak.
FIDO*98*
AG
Here's my favorite Barbacoa recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds).
2) Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.
3) In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.
4) Using a 1-ounce scoop or a 2-tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Apparently on this thread you can call anything Barbacoa
Furlock Bones
AG
This is incredibly bad advice.
JYDog90
AG
You got me. I was thinking "what in the world?"
Formerly Willy Wonka
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Going to have to try this one...
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I like it... I mainly don't feel like spending $5/lb on cheek meat when I can get chuck on sale for half that and the result is just as good if not better IMO.
Reel Aggies
AG
I make it almost every weekend to eat during the week. I clean 2 bags of cheek meat from HEB and add it to a Dutch oven. I cover all over with BBQ rub, fine chopped onion, 3 whole sliced japs, granulated garlic, and a bay leaf and place on my acorn with top off for 4-5 hours mixing up a couple times so all can get smoke. When I'm ready for bed I bring in, cover and put in the oven at 250* till morning. When I wake up it's ready to shred, sometimes has some goood crunchy bits on bottom that all get mixed in. Place on tortilla with onion/cilantro and enjoy.

Forgot to add I will put some ancho chili powder or chipotle chili powder on occasion...
AgsMnn
AG
Night before
Put cleaned cheek meat in slow cooker with salt and pepper. Cook all night

Eat in the morning.

Keep it simple. There is enough flavor in the cheek meat. Add some salt and it all comes outs.
Furlock Bones
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

I like it... I mainly don't feel like spending $5/lb on cheek meat when I can get chuck on sale for half that and the result is just as good if not better IMO.

Go to fiesta or a Mexicanmeat market.

And yes chuck is good. But it is not barbacoa. So it's irrelevant.
scottimus
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Barbacoa is not cheek meat!
Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
scottimus
AG
This is the proper slow cooker barbacoa recipe.

Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
scottimus
AG
Here is some updated techniques.

Straight from the front lines.

scottimus
AG
This one is the best so far!

Furlock Bones
AG
scottimus said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Barbacoa is not cheek meat!
it is in the border towns like Matamoros. but, it obviously varies depending on where in Mexico you are. what it certainly is not is chuck roast of any kind.
Cancelled
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

My only piece of advice is don't use actual cheek meat... It is more expensive and in my opinion not nearly as good as barbacoa made with chuck steak.

If it's not cheek meat, it's not barbacoa.
texagpilot
AG
Barbacoa

Bought some cheek meat this week at Kaspers in Weimar ($3.60 a lb). Always wanted to try making barbacoa. Got a simple yet excellent recipe from coworkers mexican wife. Had it this morning, was as good or better than the taquerias in Houston I've been too, such as Gerardo's, Laredo Taqueria, La Michoacana, and others.

In Spanish, translated in captions

3 lbs cheek meat
1-1/2 tbsp salt. (1/2 tbsp per lb meat
1 cup water
1 white onion
6 garlic cloves
6 bay leaves

Rinse meat with water really well. 1 cup water in crock pot, meat in, season with salt, I used some black pepper also. Place 2 half onions, garlic, and bay leaves on low for 12 hrs, overnight. Take out meat, shred with fork in pan. I placed in oven at 350 @ 30 min to burn off a little of the moisture. Place in tortillas with cilantro and onion, enjoy!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.